Desktop or Laptop

Trojen

not sure if this has been discussed before but here goes...

I have recently started to trade full-time from home. My laptop has served me well while I had to be portable but I am finding it a little uncomfortable from home. I have it on a school-type desk and i think the ergonomics aren't to good.
The Laptop does have its benefits though as our AC power situation isn't great and I can pack and go in a jiffy, off to the nearest coffee shop.:cool:

thoughts anyone??

I have recently started to trade full-time from home. My laptop has served me well while I had to be portable but I am finding it a little uncomfortable from home. I have it on a school-type desk and i think the ergonomics aren't to good.
The Laptop does have its benefits though as our AC power situation isn't great and I can pack and go in a jiffy, off to the nearest coffee shop.:cool:

thoughts anyone??

mine's a double espresso if you're buying....

thoughts anyone??

Floor cushion, back rest is the sofar, desk is coffee table (also wrist rest) legs under coffee table. try that if you cant get comfy in a chair but like to fidget with the screen. Otherwise I'd go for a huge Doctor No type office chair with power. And if that dont work one could always try the non doctor chair for a few minutes relief?

I must admit its a huge ball ache dragging that lot to the coffee shop though which is why I never make starbucks but the Royal Oak instead. :D

All the lap-tops i've tried using have seemed a lot slower than a comparable desk-top to me, so i favour desk-tops.

Wow!!!

you bunch are great, can't believe the quick response......i have been looking for an overseas site similar to my local "home" for some time now.
It feels comfy here..........thanx

{Trojen kicks off shoes and puts "feet-up"......ahhhhhhhh!!!!
:cheesy:

For same $ desktops are faster than laptops. In particular, the 3.5" hard disks in desktops are faster than 2.5" in laptops. CPUs are faster too.

If you want expansion capability eg to be able to cheaply and easily use more than 2 screens, desktop is by far the best choice.

And over-heating warning sirens going off.

Perhaps a laptop docking station with a LCD screen for your desk at home might be a solution.

i really think that this is the way te go in a "third world" area:

* Theft - I take my baby with me in car boot/trunk (backups left at home) and sleeps with me in my room, not in the office (intimate ;))
* Power - get a lappy with a decent integrated battery for AC load shedding, also useful to smooth out AC power spikes.
* Mobility - you can move to where the power/broadband is

thoughts anyone??

Decide what you want from your IT trading system (ergonomics / portability / performance / value for money) then get advice on what meets your reqts best.

As Dcraig1 has already alluded, bang per buck and future flexibility / upgradability are best met with a desktop. If you can change the oil on your car and mend a fuse then you should be able to build it yourself with the help of a decent book. Not necessarily cheaper but you will know it inside out.

I have desktop Pc in my home office but use a lightweight laptop to control it remotely when i want to sit on the sofa with Mrs 0007 (eg for surfing & not serious work!) The Win XP "Remote Desktop Connection" is very useful for this purpose.