Desktop PC or laptop?

Jan 17, 2015
I work full time (shift work) and trade/SB from home when I'm off, and looking to get either a new PC, or laptop to use for trading. (Birthday present from the better half). Not after 2 or 4 screens just after something as fast as possible, that I can have a few pages open at once so it doesn't lock up or crash. (I use IG Index and Capital Spreads)

What should i be looking for, spec wise please (I'm a technophobe, and don't fancy a spotty 17 year old chatting my hind legs off down at PC world)

I'm edging towards a laptop, as I do like to move around the house while watching the markets.

Any pointers to what I need?
Cheers

timsk

Mar 18, 2002
. . . I'm edging towards a laptop, as I do like to move around the house while watching the markets.
Hi newspreadbetter,
I'm a technophobe too, so I can't help I'm afraid, but the sentenced quoted caught my eye - hence my post. I have visions of you - well, not actually you as I don't know what you look like - but of someone wandering from room to room to gain a different perspective on the markets. You'll have to keep a record and let us know which room is most profitable for you and which one accounts for most of your losses!
:p
Tim.

Jan 22, 2015
Personally? I would go for a laptop. With a laptop, you can, with almost ALL newer models, add a monitor to it to have dual monitors (sometimes 2 if you want it).
I use that myself, and have a 23 inch plugged in as we speak. It's very nice
If you want to move around the house, though, why not try one of those laptops that also turns into a tablet?
Check out this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/detachables-convertibles/convertibles.html

TWI

Jan 22, 2004
London
I have a 4 screen desktop monster but find a lot of the time I am using a mac book on my lap, wherever I happen to be. Depends very much on what type of trading you are doing.

Jan 17, 2015
Thanks all, I spread bet and usually hold bets for anything between a few minutes and an hour or 2 depending on how well its doing.

Tim, so far there is no pattern (that I'm aware of), I even placed a bet last week while buying popcorn with the mrs one afternoon going to see American Sniper, and I came out 40 points better off?

most of the time its in the lounge or on the kitchen table though :)

spinola

Jun 21, 2009
Given your short time trading approach, the less distraction, the better. So I'd favour a fixed desktop so you are perched in front of it, and not making bacon butties in the kitchen !!!

Short term trades of a few minutes upwards etc, ought to be actively managed continually, instep with the market.

Passive trading at that short timeframe sounds like a mismatching principle. ( wrong mental approach to applied method )

Perhaps if you were trading off of one hour closes etc, going walkabout might be doable.

Just my initial thoughts.

ACstudio

Sep 7, 2014
I treated myself to the same...I have several computers but wanted one that would mostly used for trading. I decided to get a gaming laptop...figured that would handle all of the graphics needs I might have for a few years. And ye I will run an extra monitor at my usual station. Kinda nice to be able to spread stuff around.
I chose an AlienWare 17" And I have been very pleased with it.

drtro

Sep 5, 2014
I've always traded on a laptop. You don't need multiple monitors to be a good trader. That's like saying you need a F350 to a tow a boat.

Nov 25, 2011
art-by-alexa.com
You don't need multiple monitors to be a good trader. That's like saying you need a F350 to a tow a boat.
I don't actually know what an "F350" is, but I agree completely with this perspective. I've never had or wanted more than one screen, and can look at only one at a time, myself. I'd rather click on a new window and make it the active one than look to one side or the other.

Oct 27, 2013
I don't actually know what an "F350" is, but I agree completely with this perspective. I've never had or wanted more than one screen, and can look at only one at a time, myself. I'd rather click on a new window and make it the active one than look to one side or the other.
You need exercises to increase your peripheral vision

I would agree a bank of say 8 or 10 + screens can confuse and lose meaning until you have spent months living with them - but no two ways about it 2 or 3 or 4 large screens all within say a 3 -5 ft area are far easier to look at then one screen of say 17 -20 inches on a Laptop.

It then depends on whether you multi Intraday trade or just medium / long term and so then you might only take a trade every few days and so multi screens not so valuable.

Horses for courses and what suits you best I suppose

Regards

F

Aug 26, 2015
techite.com
How about a powerful laptop / tablet hybrid? Several manufacturers have introduced laptops with detachable keyboards! It will prove to be helpful if you have to travel a lot.

Dec 15, 2014
San Diego
I want to switch to a modern laptop too, been contemplating it for a while -- but I kind of still very much like my Windows 7 desktop PC. :)
I recently downgraded from W10 to W7...I just love the look and feel of W7. I like the side gadgets too. and i kind of play older PC games that don't run on 10.

May 26, 2013
Whatever you get, try to make sure that you have it set up with a seperate "trader only profile". In days of old I used to have 2 or 3 laptops but now just 1 does the job. When you are trading then that is all that your focus needs to be. If you want to facebook at the same time then get a tablet or whatever, just don't let it interfere with your trading platform.