Desktop PC or laptop?

i would disagree. i daytrade the qqq's. visibility is most important. i use 2 laptops each connected to a hdtv. i have the qqq's in a 1 min and 5 min bar on one hdtv, and 6 of the qqq's main components in a 1 min bar loaded on the other.
Why the BFH do you need to use hdtv? Think of the waste of resources. Your proc and memory will be so taken up trying to process graphics that it might ipminge upon you data flow connections.

If you go for a laptop and you need more screen estate then you can buy a nice big monitor and plug it into the laptop and it will work fine. Same goes for keyboard and mouse - so start with the laptop (make sure it has an SSD (not HDD - otherwise it'll take an age to boot up) and at least 4GB ram) then if you want a "workstation" you can buy a nice keyboard/mouse and monitor and plug it all into the laptop and use it like a regular desktop PC.

If you go for a laptop and you need more screen estate then you can buy a nice big monitor and plug it into the laptop and it will work fine. Same goes for keyboard and mouse - so start with the laptop (make sure it has an SSD (not HDD - otherwise it'll take an age to boot up) and at least 4GB ram) then if you want a "workstation" you can buy a nice keyboard/mouse and monitor and plug it all into the laptop and use it like a regular desktop PC.

Please try to ignore this zoop jorg. Very few efficient laptops have SSD. If its a problum to wait for a bootup wait until you have to endure static markets for a morning. Self discipline is the key. Laptops are dependent upon saving powere resources and this goop shugger wants you to get a nice keyb and mouse to enhance the experience? with usb I feckin don't think sooo. see my earlier post then decide why you want a laptop.
(n)(n)

Please try to ignore this zoop jorg. Very few efficient laptops have SSD. If its a problum to wait for a bootup wait until you have to endure static markets for a morning. Self discipline is the key. Laptops are dependent upon saving powere resources and this goop shugger wants you to get a nice keyb and mouse to enhance the experience? with usb I feckin don't think sooo. see my earlier post then decide why you want a laptop.
(n)(n)

You may not agree with my opinion but that is no reason to resort to such childish insults.

I have been working in the IT industry for over 20 years now so I know a thing or two. Any laptop worth it's salt will have an SSD these days - same goes for a desktop computer. They are far superior in terms of speed, the only reason for installing a physical hard drive these days is because of cost or space requirements, Because they are an electronic device with no moving parts and not a physical one like a spinning hard drive they will use far less battery power. Particularly when you factor in the load times for a hard drive which will typically be 5 - 10 times slower.

I don't understand why you think a usb mouse and keyboard wouldn't improve the experience. A full size keyboard and proper mouse are much easier to use than a trackpad and laptop keyboard. The whole point of doing that would be when you were sat at a desk where you could plug the laptop into power. Plug it into a nice monitor, mouse, keyboard and hey presto you've got a workstation - best of both worlds. If you were sat on the beach or your sofa then obviously you use don't use those items because they'd run your battery down and be cumbersome.

Read the post and learn your facts before spouting off in future.

You may not agree with my opinion but that is no reason to resort to such childish insults.

I have been working in the IT industry for over 20 years now so I know a thing or two.

Read the post and learn your facts before spouting off in future.
What as? An SSD salesman?

I also work in the computer industry for over 20 years. I'm sure you do know a thing or two, but thats it. Epterslloyd septigumf.
:cool::cool:

Hi newspreadbetter,
I'm a technophobe too, so I can't help I'm afraid, but the sentenced quoted caught my eye - hence my post. I have visions of you - well, not actually you as I don't know what you look like - but of someone wandering from room to room to gain a different perspective on the markets. You'll have to keep a record and let us know which room is most profitable for you and which one accounts for most of your losses!
:p
Tim.

He might have do some housework before the dragon gets home! Washing up, ironing, scrubbing the floor, dusting but, If he's lucky, reading with a glass of Chateausomething in the garden or, maybe he's on a treadmill in the basement.

The mind boggles at the freedom that a laptop allows you! :)

Honestly I prefer a laptop simply due to the fact I have an active life and not always can be around my home PC during trading hours. So laptop is an ideal solution if you need access to your trades couple times a day. But this doesn't imply to swing traders of course, since they need to be around their monitors for a whole day long.

From a practical perspective, you're much less likely to ruin a desk top with a glass of wine or cup of coffee and less likely to drop it. They're less attractive to burglars and you get better performance for less money - Just my two cents worth

From a practical perspective, you're much less likely to ruin a desk top with a glass of wine or cup of coffee and less likely to drop it. They're less attractive to burglars and you get better performance for less money - Just my two cents worth

Honestly I don't think it's a good idea to sip wine while trading, whatever the PC you're using :D

:):)There is a problem with replacing keyboards though, a usb from pc world or sainsburys is about 15 quid. A branded laptop will cost 10 times that if you include the fitting. Be careful not to jeeiz too much over it.:):LOL::cool:

How about a powerful laptop / tablet hybrid? Several manufacturers have introduced laptops with detachable keyboards! It will prove to be helpful if you have to travel a lot.

I would be betting on this one as I am a multitasker and I move inside the house. It would be hassle-free to bring the device with me that's cordless and rechargeable as long as the specs are good enough for my trading hours.

I use a laptop round the house when I'm not actively trading (otherwise I could spend my entire life in my office) and if I need to access stuff on my main desktop I use "TeamViewer" software program which is really excellent and free for personal use, to see and operate my desktop remotely. This works anywhere remotely provided you have an Internet connection, so it's also good for sorting out other people's PCs without getting out of your easy chair!.

I find this is the best solution for me: quiet, peaceful uninterrupted situation whilst trading but normal interaction with the household when spending mindless hours surfing the Interweb!

Nothing beats a 24 inch monitor, comfortable chair and an ergonomic keyboard. I much prefer my desktop to my laptop for actually doing stuff.

To drive 6+ displays definitely need a desktop. Also a lot easier to repair. Just put a new fan in my lap..took me an hour just to take out all the dozens of screws and get the case open. (n)

Can pop my desktops in 30 secs.(y)