Lap Top Continuously Restarting (need help)

razorshines

My lap top is continuously restarting as it gets to the "windows" loading screen it shuts off and starts over. And it will do this endlessly. I have tried starting in safe mode but it still restarts when it gets to the windows screen. I am guessing I have some sort of virus (maybe w32/irc) I am wondering if I could put something burn something onto a CD from my desk top and fix it, but I am not sure what to put on there and if that would even work. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

I am sorry if I have posted in the wrong place, or if there is already another thread about this which I should have posted in. I will admit I didn't search before starting this and I realize that can be very annoying.

Do you have the recovery disks that you can use to reinstall the whole operating system ? What make and model is the laptop ?

Paul

Laptops are notorious for having memory problems and thus behaving strangely. This is due to the memory chips "walking" out of their sockets due to the cycle of cold, then heat and then cold again.

I would suggest accessing where the RAM is, touching something metal and to dissipate any static charge on your body, removing the chips, removing any dust and then firmly pushing the chips back in. If this doesn't solve the problem it could be that one of the chips is not working properly - this happened to me and I confimed a chip needed replacing by using Memtest86 which was run before startup by booting from a floppy disk.

The chip was (eventually, after a battle with the PC company) replaced under warranty - I suspect the company used cheap memory chips that weren't suitable for the higher temps of laptops. Unfortunately the second chip also needed replacing later, but this time it was just outside the warranty period. :(

Check the chips before checking for viruses etc. and certainly before re-installing the operating system!

Trader333 said:
Do you have the recovery disks that you can use to reinstall the whole operating system ? What make and model is the laptop ?

Paul
This is a Worm...your laptop is infected use Stinger to removed ...

Actually it is not ness. a worm - quite unlikely in all fairness (no offence)

More likely imo is that one of the files that Windows requires to boot fully is corrupted and needs replacing.

However you do need the windows disc to fix this, going in under recovery console to copy/replace files. It will take about half an hour and some accurate typing. If you don't have the XP disc then you'll need to access the C drive outside of Windows, using an OS-bootable DVD (Knoppix or Windows PE) to gain access to the System Volume Information files. Either that or put the drive in another machine as a slave and do it that way.

Details here. Although M$ only give a few reasons and say that you should get error codes, in my experience this is not always the case. I do this at least once a week on various clients' machines.

To replace boot files, boot to XP CD, press R, type "chkdsk /p" (note the space),type "fixboot", Enter "Y" Enter "exit" :D

razorshines said:
My lap top is continuously restarting as it gets to the "windows" loading screen it shuts off and starts over. And it will do this endlessly. I have tried starting in safe mode but it still restarts when it gets to the windows screen. I am guessing I have some sort of virus (maybe w32/irc) I am wondering if I could put something burn something onto a CD from my desk top and fix it, but I am not sure what to put on there and if that would even work. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

I am sorry if I have posted in the wrong place, or if there is already another thread about this which I should have posted in. I will admit I didn't search before starting this and I realize that can be very annoying.
i had my friend reinstall ms xp pro and then had to plug into wire feed ,non wi-fi, go to microsoft upload,download recent protection programs and wi fi capabiliti from hp, best done by someone with experience

oatman said:
To replace boot files, boot to XP CD, press R, type "chkdsk /p" (note the space),type "fixboot", Enter "Y" Enter "exit" :D

Not the 'boot' files, but files which Windows requires to boot fully ;) Sam, Security, System, Default and Software.

These files are stored in the System Volume Information/Restore and Repair folders, not the boot CD ;)

Well at least everyone knows how to replace corrupted boot files now. :cheesy: