Just Got 'Broadband' Can't Use 'Permanent File Servers'??

jonnyy40

Experienced member
Got 512kbps but in AOLs terms and conditions it states I can't use 'permanent file servers' such as http,ftp and irc.Or I will be disconnected.Does this include Mytrack and TWS connections?? If it does,I've got a cooling off period.Which ISP should I get 'Broadband' from?

jonnyy40 said:
Got 512kbps but in AOLs terms and conditions it states I can't use 'permanent file servers' such as http,ftp and irc.Or I will be disconnected.Does this include Mytrack and TWS connections?? If it does,I've got a cooling off period.Which ISP should I get 'Broadband' from?
Means you can't run a server which feeds these protocols, but connecting to one should be fine. Although i would recommend not using AOL if you have the experience or ability to go elsewhere. Support may be good but they're network setups can really sc**w your machine if you try and change it later.

Just a personal opinion ofcourse.

I think they mean you're not allowed to run a server from your pc - that's by it's very nature on all the time. As an example if I had an AOL account and wanted to run the Trade2Win website from my pc (via http server) leaving it on all the time (as a permanent connection) so you could access it any time of day, then if they got wind of it, they'd disconnect me. Making a connection to an external service like Mytrack or TWS is entirely different, whether or not you leave it on all day or not, and I'd be very suprised if they didn't permit this.

Ckeck out with aol whether they have any traffic limit on the account - a lot of the cheaper broadband connections now come with monthly limits, beyond which you have to pay extra. It probably won't be an issue but will depend on how many instruments your database contains and updates in realtime. There was a time when I thought I might fall foul of this type of thing but fortunately my account is not limited.

I suggest you investigate
http://www.nildram.net/broadband.htm

I have used them since broadband was first introduced without any probs and service is excellent

Last edited:
I have found Virgin broadband absolutely superb. £25 a month, no 12-month contract and a modem and filters for £9.99 (they sent me two.... so I flogged one on ebay for £25 LOL)

Service is superb, theres zero downtime, spam filters and all the junk that AOHell seem to think is so special.

I use Pipex broadband at £23.44 pm. No problems. No connection charge and free modem. What else do you need.

I've been using ISDN and still have 6 months to run on the contract. Now that Broadband has arrived at our exchange BT will waive the remainder of the contract and the cost of removing the ISDN line if I use BT Broadband. This is a saving of £200 so worth having. Anyone here using BT Broadband with Voyager 2000 wireless networking?

If so, what do you think of it? Or should I just accept the £200 cost of paying off the ISDN and use one of the more highly rated providers like Nildram or Eclipse?

Is 1GB per day of data enough for trading purposes?

Last edited:
Roger

BT will do almost anything to increase its adsl customer base at present but their service is rather basic.

Look at the adsl guide and I think that you will find that Nildram is one of the fastest, most relaible and best supported providers. Their dsl500 service is very competitive and given that it cost me £200 to have it installed when ADSL was first introduced and that the monthly cost was then £47 makes it now imo very good value. There is no limit oon the download and in my experience it often has more than the advertised bandwidth available.

I can only speak from my personal experience though - haven't tried any others but in the dial up days I found BT a pain in the ass.

I have got AOL 1MB broadband, but its still slow at times. Is there a way to optimise the performance of my connection.

Thanks!

I'm just upgrading to 1Mb as I was amazed by the improvement when trading ES via Bracket Trader.When I think of the money I must have lost.We in this country are subsidising the existence of foreign traders.You can go to keyword 'help' !! Or there is the free number for broadband users 0800 376 4406.

reply to Raf

go to www.adslguide.org.uk and pick one of the faster suppliers (you can run a comparison to AOL) then it will speed up.

Otherwise check your PC for viruses etc as a 1MB line should be pretty fast if your pc and isp are both decent.

have got AOL 1MB broadband, but its still slow at times. Is there a way to optimise the performance of my connection
What's the contention rate?

RogerM, Eclipse are in your neck of the woods and they purchase plenty of bandwith.They're fastest.

The speed of the connection is only of any advantage if you're scalping, but it won't do you much good, I've been on a 2MB dedicated line and you still won't beat the "market"

More than likely a stupid question , but is it an urban myth that having an extension cable from wall socket to broadband modem will slow it down????

and if I upgrade from 512 to 1MB broadband will I need a new ADSL modem????

thanks in advance....

TechnoDunce :rolleyes:

It is true

but only by the approx time it takes light to travel the length of the extension cable........

seriously i gues if the extension cable was of poor quality it might degrade the signal and slow it down but i doubt it.

Try using a speedtest at a site such as www.adslguide.org.uk with and without it and if they are the same then it is obviously not a problem.

The speedtest you suggest will not give the answer as the conditions on the internet change from second to second and the route from adslguide for the first test will almost certainly not be the same route as for the second and the conditions will not be comparable.IMO the difference will be unnoticeable.

OM has raised the issue of contention rate and it is very noticable that as the take up of broadband has accellerated the mention of contention rates has disappeared from most providers' publicity. The "domestic" services we most commonly use have no guarantee now of contention or of reliability. You get what you pay for by and large.

Rognvald said:
OM has raised the issue of contention rate and it is very noticable that as the take up of broadband has accellerated the mention of contention rates has disappeared from most providers' publicity. The "domestic" services we most commonly use have no guarantee now of contention or of reliability. You get what you pay for by and large.

Very true. I use Eclipse (brilliant service and performance) and pay a premium for a 20:1 contention ratio on a half-meg capacity. It isn't the cheapest, but Eclipse do not want to go down the cut-price, primarily domestic route with all the congestion and contention strain that would involve.

The contention makes more difference than the bandwidth at entry level broadband supply.

Tony
Quite right - the bandwidth quoted is the maximum usually available on the basis of a statistically calculated number of users downloading/uploading at any one time. More than that and you lose bandwidth.

I know that this is a hobby horse of mine but once again and for general consumption - bandwidth does not necessarily equate with speed. Think of a bullet (the data packet) going along a gun barrel (>diameter =>bandwidth) and disregard friction etc..If the barrel diameter is just greater than that of the bullet then the bullet will fit and will go along at normal speed. If the diameter is less the bullet will not fit and smaller bullets must be used. If the barrel has a much larger diameter will the bullet go faster - answer no. However, more bullets (data packets) can be shot along the larger barrel simultaneously. It is only when we need the ability to send more than one bullet at a time that we need the extra bandwidth.

In my experience in using realtime charting and dealing feeds I have not needed to use a wider bore barrel yet (ie>.512mb) but I see that some of the more "top end" applications - CQG for example are insisting on a minimum bandwidth availability which means that their app needs to shovel more data up and down the pipe to function properly - not that it will necessarily be faster.

End of rant

RogerM said:
Anyone here using BT Broadband with Voyager 2000 wireless networking? QUOTE]

Roger, I'm using this set-up, it's running fine, I've had no problems in the 3 months I've used it.

Speed test suggestion

Hi again

I know that the speed test will only give an approximate result due to different routes etc but the suggestion was made so that if results are similar then there is obviously no problem with the extension cable, if they are significantly different (and if you want to be very thorough take 10 readings and average them) then the cable is a problem.