Junk / Spam E-mail Nuisance

timsk

Legendary member
Over the years, I've had a trickle of spam e-mails promoting some report or stock tip service or other - perhaps one every week or two. Given the game I/we are in - it's to be expected I suppose. However, in the past few weeks, the numbers have really ramped up so I'm now getting up to half a dozen every day.

Can anyone tell me why they've suddenly increased in number so dramatically and, more importantly, is there anything I can do to stop them? I routinely move them to Junk E-mail and click on 'Add sender to blocked senders list' - but this doesn't appear to be having much effect.

Any ideas much appreciated!
(y)
Tim.

Well if you gave your email address to The World Money Show or any company like it they sell it on and you get bombarded with spam.

In Gmail, you can set filters to automatically send it to trash. I have the same problem with Groupon. I get 10-15 emails a day. When I unsubscribe to one newsletter, it's like I'm subscribed to 3 more. Even after contacting them to leave me the hell alone, they won't let up. So I just set a filter to send all of their emails straight to trash. I get maybe 1-3 now popping up in my inbox a day.

In Outlook, you can ban addresses all together. Say you get emails from [email protected] you can block all @Notgivingup.com emails.

Well if you gave your email address to The World Money Show or any company like it they sell it on and you get bombarded with spam.
Hi Paul,
I'm very careful about things like that. On the odd occasion I do give out my e-mail addy to someone I suspect may pass it on - I use a Hotmail address created for the purpose. The current problem is with my 'private' e-mail addy that I've had since 2007 and have never had any problems with until now. A few dodgy pharma vendors pumping big willy pills a few years back - but I don't even get those any more. As I'm typing this, another one has arrived in my inbox! I don't open them but, from the subject line, for the most part they appear to be pump 'n dump type stock scams.
Tim.

Over the years, I've had a trickle of spam e-mails promoting some report or stock tip service or other - perhaps one every week or two. Given the game I/we are in - it's to be expected I suppose. However, in the past few weeks, the numbers have really ramped up so I'm now getting up to half a dozen every day.

Can anyone tell me why they've suddenly increased in number so dramatically and, more importantly, is there anything I can do to stop them? I routinely move them to Junk E-mail and click on 'Add sender to blocked senders list' - but this doesn't appear to be having much effect.

Any ideas much appreciated!
(y)
Tim.
put all spam contact in one group. forward all new spam to all. in china we call this having your own poo back,

With fastmail (maybe with some other providers) you can add aliases to your main email address. The basic paid service only gives you about 7, but if you step up to the next paid level, it goes up to effectively as many as you like.

Thus, whenever you are forced to give out an email address to anyone even slightly questionable, you can quickly add a new address specifically for that purpose.
Then if and when spam starts to arrive, you can easily delete the alias, and (hopefully anyway), bye bye spam. I don't think I've ever actually had to delete an alias for spam reasons as it happens (I use aliases for other, more positive reasons), but it's nice to have that facility.

Basic personal fastmail costs about $20 per year. Next one up is about $40.
Different rates for business, family, and whatever I think.

Originally an independent Aussie company, was then bought by Opera. But at some stage I think the original independent owners / developers bought it back, so it's independent again. I really like small independent software companies who produce a small range of really good products (maybe only one), so long as they remain independent, but seen too many gobbled up by rapacious larger companies when I worked in IT (it was very often Computer Associates) and it was almost always bad news for the end user.

Sorry for the rant down memory lane. :cheesy: