June '04 Forex

Hiya Folks

Missed this good setup while i was messing around with damn virus's on my computer

GBP very simply a pullback to significant levels marked on the chart.
I would expect this to get to about 1.8290 area but if you look closer at the larger picture there is a lot of congestion above and below this set up. Waiting this one out is not a bad idea but would still give you a small profit if you traded it to the high of the day... still 30/50 pips on offer depending on your entry

Happy Trading
NB

Attachments

• 15-june-04_gbp_30min.gif
    15-june-04_gbp_30min.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 255
Is it just me, or is there a not nearly finished -maybe-cup formation on the 60 minute chart? Not that good on TA myself so I would like to hear from the experts.

Cheers

Ilia

Attachments

• CUP.PNG
    CUP.PNG
    56.8 KB · Views: 226
same set up on 4 hour charts

Short 1.8290
stop 1.8310
1st target 1.82 - 1.8150 level

Attachments

• 15-june-04_gbp_4hr.gif
    15-june-04_gbp_4hr.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 226
Thanks for the above NB – have been taking a somewhat belated interest in Forex movements recently, and have been playing around with the many indicators available in SierraCharts to find the ones that work – haven’t found a good setup for RSI yet, but the Directional Movement Oscillator seems a good substitute….

Divergence on DMO got me in long at 1.8200 and have closed at 8285. As you say, a lot of resistance in this area…….now reversed to short......tight stop..... :cool:

edit 19.45 - stopped out at b/e - $ weakening..... :confused:

Attachments

• 15-06-04.gif
    15-06-04.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
2115-2120 broken now on Euro so would expect that to become support. Would have expected 2200 to follow fairly quickly but 2150 is holding it up, combined with round-number resistance on cable at 8300. Fib support 50% on 60 min is spot on 2150. Upward channel looks to be forming - 2115-21120 still important as support.

Ben

Short pulled for b/e, but a look at the 1min chart reveals shorting as a bit of a long shot (?!) anyway…….

The price bouncing up the rising 100ema, CCI above 0 and DMO divergence only delivering a minimal pullback….the message to stay long was quite clear (now)……!

But hindsight is always a wonderful thing……. ;)

Attachments

• 15-06-04a.gif
    15-06-04a.gif
    14 KB · Views: 196
Hey tradesmart good to see you dipping a digit in the Forex waters :D

I've left ES behind for the moment, at least in the discretionary sense, as it is clearly a market for the fully fledged elite gladiator rather than a dangerously casual Frugi! The erudite and occasionally bewildering posts on 'No Indicators Revisited', along with an uncomfortable, though by no means terrible, erosion of funds, provided sufficent evidence for me to effect a change of trading tack. Not that I've given up, but further observation and dark siding apprenticeship is required before I return to battle. So, I have been trading the Euro future for a few days and I already feel much more at home, though the position size is mildly daunting.

Anyway here's a chart showing a lovely inverse H & S on the 30 min Euro with possible target. There also seems to be a fairly rough Wolfewave with the line drawn between 1 and 4 showing another potential target. Personally I expect a pullback to 1.2100 followed by more upside, but if 1.2100 fails I'll be looking at the Wolfewave instead. I'm sorry the prices won't match up with spot exactly, but I'm sure the basic patterns are on both.

Edit: Now I look at that Wolfewave I reckon we may only be at the top of wave 3 as it is similar in length to wave 1 (and they both have a little pullback in the middle). This would imply a messy wave 4 pullback tomorrow of similar size to wave 2, probably knocking out a few stops just below 1.2100, then a wave 5 up 1.2200 or so. Wretched waves u never know which one yer on!

A few naive observations from a new Forexer:
1 Lots of choice in chart time setups. I've chosen 7.00-21.00 GMT as most of the action seems to take place between these boundaries, but I realise the appearance of patterns may depend on the time scale chosen. Is there a time scale the people generally use?
2 Pivots really work - e.g look at the horizontal coloured lines and the price action around them.
3 I don't suddenly feel the need for indicators. Price action is if anything smoother and more predictable than index futures, with less nasty tricks played on the little fellas by the big boys.
4 More suitable to (semi)-mechanical system trading due to the size and regularity of big trends. One can take a lot of whipsaws and still do well on balance. ES will kill you if you don't concentrate the whole time and get every entry and exit, er, pretty much spot on.
5 Better for the impatient like me because moves seem to have more velocity and more frequency than indices. Impatience = deteriorating discipline in my case so this must be a positive.

Funny as it's all trading, but the Euro just feels more comfortable for some intangible reason. Famous last words :cheesy:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Hey Frugi,

Good to see you on the forex thread.

You're right about Euro lending itself to mechanical systems. I've been having some good luck with JonnyT's 7-10 breakout system .

Regards,

New to Forex

Hi from Australia. I am new to Forex and would appreciate advice if anybody has the time to respond. ?? What is the best time to trade. Main interste is euro & gbp to US $. regards MarkT

You asked this Q elsewhere

ozcheeze said:
Hi from Australia. I am new to Forex and would appreciate advice if anybody has the time to respond. ?? What is the best time to trade. Main interste is euro & gbp to US $. regards MarkT

You asked this question over at:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=10404&highlight=forex

Here is a list of forex threads ( Use "Search" facility under "Discussion" tab above)

Type in "Forex"

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/search.php?searchid=48447

Gidday Ivor,

A portion of my pesetas are also abiding by the Spot On principle, using 7.00-8.00 as the range at the mo. A short and reverse to long today by no means blemished their number, despite it being a data day :)

I have the use of Investor I/RT software for a month or two (any more than that and the fees will be debilitating) so I'm busy trying to adapt JonnyT's excellent foundations for bar closes as I believe this may filter out some noise/false breakouts (while introducing slippage of course). Mind you, using 30min bar closes today would have underperformed the original system by a fat margin.

Back to the program... :)

I got caught out yesterday by the news - I didn't know there were figures out.

Does anybody know where I can get advance warning of upcoming announcements. I used to use a site that graded the day's announcements from A to D to indicate their importance and their likely impact on prices. Unfortunately I lost the link - so if it rings any bells with anyone, I'de be mighty grateful to be pointed back at it !

Regards,

frugi said:
Gidday Ivor,

I'm busy trying to adapt JonnyT's excellent foundations for bar closes as I believe this may filter out some noise/false breakouts (while introducing slippage of course). .

Back to the program... :)

Sounds interesting, frugi. Let us know how you get on.

I've just started trading full time now - slowly building up from small positions at the moment and greatly enjoying it. :cool:

BTW I know what you mean by the "erudite and occasionally bewildering posts" on the 'no indicators' thread. But I think there's some good stuff there if you keep thinking about it. :idea:

Regards,

Welshmal said:
ivorm, this is what you need.............

http://biz.yahoo.com/c/e.html

Many thanks WM. I've added the link to my Favourites. Any tips as to how to judge the importance of the announcements ? For example, are any of the announcements out today likely to have a significant impact on prices ?

Regards,

ivorm said:
Many thanks WM. I've added the link to my Favourites. Any tips as to how to judge the importance of the announcements ? For example, are any of the announcements out today likely to have a significant impact on prices ?

Regards,

You have to click on each link to get an A-F rating on the Yahoo site

This one http://online.wsj.com/public/page/0,,barrons_econoday,00.html has star ratings that are a bit easier to see

(I got caught by the news yesterday too :eek: