Is the London session Anti-trend?

lloydsbank

Hi everyone,

I have recently started trading live for the first time in 3 years (on and off interest in forex), successfully doubling my small account. It's come to my attention that the London session seems to be very anti-trend, and enjoys belittling my positions.
My intraday positions if not already closed tend to turn sour during the London session but return in my favour once London has ended.

Just wanted to know from more experienced traders if I'm imagining this or if there is there some reason for this?

Hi everyone,

I have recently started trading live for the first time in 3 years (on and off interest in forex), successfully doubling my small account. It's come to my attention that the London session seems to be very anti-trend, and enjoys belittling my positions.
My intraday positions if not already closed tend to turn sour during the London session but return in my favour once London has ended.

Just wanted to know from more experienced traders if I'm imagining this or if there is there some reason for this?

It is your imagination. Having said that, the London session does come with it many tier one data releases which obviously can drive sentiments in a certain direction.

Hi everyone,

interesting comment ......;)

so you are stating that in the G8 forex market the london sessions are generally anti trend

based on what timeframe ?
any particular currencies you mean ?

can you be more specific ?

my forex style for the last 20 years is built around around the relative strength of the G8 currencies ........so i am very focused on such patterns and dynamics as each new session opens ...

so for example i would interpret your comment to mean that london sessions are showing the G8 currencies generally moving in the opposite direction to

the preceeding asian session?
the previous days daily trends on the G8 ?

I cant say ive seen it enough to see a bias .....

N

Any session is anti trend. It all depends on sentiment driven by news politics and geopolitics, and more.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Some anti-trend movements likely depend on fundamentals that come out during the session, the session itself is not anti-trend.

I think we're wrong to see the London session as fundamentally one single session. In fact it seemed to me when I was trading the FTSE100 index that it was one session when only London and Europe were open but around our 1230 time (when the US futures started to move?) it develops a new personality. This can be counter to the London am behaviour but not always, just enough to screw your positions from 0800. I gave it up.

I have noticed that the Asian markets usually follow the US close, but when Europe opens, the trend sometimes changes, but it depends on the fundamental data and geopolitical issues arising at the London session.

I am still a little unclear what is being debated here ......the main Forex market comprises 8 distinct global currencies ....

are we discussing if the london open session (approx 7am BST) generally experiences a discontinuation of trends seen in its preceding periods ?.....and if so the trends of :-

all currencies ?
some Currencies ?
some pairs ?
all pairs ?

perhaps i am missing something here ? ...or is this more concerning volatility which is a different question / statement entirely ?

sorry
N

I was left with the impression that the GBP-related pairs were the focus of the discussion.

ok i missed that ........my response then is that i find GBP as an index behaves the same as the other currencies regarding anti trend from the asian sessions ....

no more and no less ......

naturally i do look at what currencies are doing vs the asian session preceding london open ......but i must confess it’s not a major part of what drives my strategies ...

N

ok i missed that ........my response then is that i find GBP as an index behaves the same as the other currencies regarding anti trend from the asian sessions ....

no more and no less ......

naturally i do look at what currencies are doing vs the asian session preceding london open ......but i must confess it’s not a major part of what drives my strategies ...

N

That was just an assumption on my part, the original post didn't mention the GBP specifically. And I made the assumption because it focused on the London session, which does usually move the GBP considerably (compared to everything else).