Intraday Live short term trading calls from an Expert Retail Forex Trader

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a double edged sword but about 3/4 times today I have just been stopped out with a 5 pip stop and then seen original target hit - mostly on GU. I missed a 16 pip profit for the sake of a 1 pip stop-out.

Hi Steve

Just seen you results today and this comment - so thought i would try and assist you now on your review and the way to improve next.

i would agree with you that 20 trades for just 20 pips ( and is that net? as all spreads etc should be included in stops and profits gained) - is very poor

What amazed me is you had 10 losing trades - that can really be a negative - I do not allow myself to have over 5 bad trades in a day - although I did once have my black swan event of 7 consecutive losses about 4 yrs ago.

i have probably not explain enough to you on the money management side and so will just list a few key points now -

1. Dont let a winning trade go to a loss - if you are up just 4 pips or 7 pips - dont come away minus 3 or stopped out - just exit with what you can

2. Dont wait to be stopped out - if you are down say 2 pips - don't wait for minus 5 or 7 - just exit and then if the pair turns as happened today just 1 pip under your stop - it's no problem - re enter - its still more cost effective than losing say 7 pips.

3. The timings for entries are key - you need to be in profit asap and then you can either take profit - and reenter - lock some profit in - or take part profit - allowing you a bigger stop if needed - ie - say you are up 9 pips - take 70% off and now your 30% stake could actually go beyond minus 5 - and you would still be in profit - however I prefer the "free trade" were the 30% stake is in profit - even if just 2 -3 pips - as then you can relax -what ever happens - ie a win win situation.

I would be interested to know your approx targets - as mine are totally adjustable between 7 and 25 pips and depend on the time and PA. Some days I might have loads of 4 and 6 pip trades and just a couple of wins over 15 pips.

Other days I am having -12 -25 pip wins and only a few 3- 5 pip grabs

The other key is win ratio,

For short term intraday - nothing under 65% is acceptable and the real zone is 70 - 80% on batches of 50 or 100 intraday trades. You might think that's really difficult - but when your target sis say 13 pips and you come out with only 7 pips - its still a win with a RR of over 1 . So many traders think they are doing well with say a 28 pip win - but their stop was 35 pips - so ratio all wrong and that leads to losing money.

You need to review every trade today - and see what was minimum stop - what was move within say 15 min or 30 mins and how many of those 10 losses were due to 5 pip stops and even if half needed 10 or 12 pips - you could have still been worse off - simply due to the amount of losing trades only being 50%.

If you had 10 losing trades - but have taken say 35 or 40 trades - thats then no problem - but similar if you only had only 4 losing trades and only 4 winners - same result again - to low a win ratio.

I think you need to do 100 trades over say 7 -10 days and review every day - fine tune and then see the results - I think you will be surprised

Glad you have remained un emotional losing 10 times - that would do some traders heads in - but its all part of the intraday learning process

I can remember one trader on another site I was helping counting one trade as a loss after he had been up 14 pips. i said to him why did you not take some profit - especially after getting a great entry and the stop could have been just 3 pips - it was that good

He replied - well my first target was 18 pips - we did not make it - and so I got stopped out - and I counted it as a loss :)

He soon realised even just taking 10 pips - he would have had a winning trade with a RR of 2 and no loss - he was just so set in his old ways - and needed to adjust - ie the devil is really in the detail - small change can make large differences

Tomorrow Steve - limit yourself to only say 8 or 10 trades or 14 if you feel comfortable.

Any questions feel free to ask

Regards

F

Last edited:
yes i suffer this!

Hi MM - sorry to hear you had to work today - hope to see you around tomorrow and will be around pre 7 00 am

Yes this morning was good but then went slow and I have missed the afternoon as spent later on in McDonalds ( yes don't laugh ) after a footy match ;-)

"Hi Steve
Just seen you results today and this comment - so thought i would try and assist you now on your review and the way to improve next."

Many thanks for the advice, Steve

Tuesday 4th February 2014 - Pre European Open

Morning Traders

Quick update review of some key FX pairs I plan to trade today -

EU - not been able to break under 3480 support area and then after bouncing above 3500 - price managed a HL and a rise up 3539 during the last hour. Currently 3528 and above 3514 still in a session bullish structure, You might be able to scalp sell down to 3515 -20 and then scalp buy again - thats what I will be looking at over next 30 mins

Swissy - peaked at 9081 area yesterday and as since fallen to 9004 support area and currently at 9011. Bearish last few hours - and now its a question whether price can break under the big round number - 9000 and fall lower

Need over 9021 and 26 to be holding on to scalp buys for a trip higher again

GU - Bearish and dropped to 6257 in the last hr. Price currently at 6277 - below 85 and 90 still bearish - but above 6265 - might be another chance to scalp buy. If 60 and 55 let go - more scalp sells

More pairs to follow after 7.00 am time window

Have a good day

Regards

F

Tuesday 4th February 2014 - Pre European Open
Morning Traders
F

good morning to you, Forexmospherian and all

I have found yesterday you thread, after an inviting mail from t2w, and as I also work at the M1 chart it is very good to see someone trading successful at that time frame.

I will stay first at the sideline, read around the more the 1000 pages and look what you do.

thanks very much for all your work and help

best regards

fx_

EJ - since 6 39 am UK time and price at 136.45/6 we have had a lovely scalp buy - rising nearly 38 pips and now stalling at the end of the 7.00 am time window - with a small false try over 78. Above 55 -60 still scalp bullish although I am currently scalp selling at 78 to see if we try down to that 60 area

good morning to you, Forexmospherian and all

I have found yesterday you thread, after an inviting mail from t2w, and as I also work at the M1 chart it is very good to see someone trading successful at that time frame.

I will stay first at the sideline, read around the more the 1000 pages and look what you do.

thanks very much for all your work and help

best regards

fx_

Morning FX

Thank you for your comments - you are welcome and if you have any questions etc - by all means - ask them as we go through the day.

Sorry its becoming a long thread - but I reckon if you choose say 7 days at random through Nov to Jan - then that might be under 100 -150 pages and you will spot most of my method etc etc

Out at 8 ,00 am today on school run - but then back later that hour and think I will get i over 6 hrs today with just 2 or 3 breaks for 30 -45 mins

All the best and GL on your journey

Regards

F

EJ - since 6 39 am UK time and price at 136.45/6 we have had a lovely scalp buy - rising nearly 38 pips and now stalling at the end of the 7.00 am time window - with a small false try over 78. Above 55 -60 still scalp bullish although I am currently scalp selling at 78 to see if we try down to that 60 area

I took 70% off the scalp sell at 61 and seeing if we do fall under 55 now. My stop on the 30% is tight in profit at 73 as want the pips in for a start

AU - now above 8900 at 8914 high - bullish last 8 hrs with a 75+ pip rise - above 8865 /70 still in bullish structure and now need to see where next R;s are lying for a pullback

We are in the 7.30 am UK time window now with Europe open and London in 30 mins approx

The EU / Swissy / GU still quiet - not much happening yet

EJ - out 30% at 59 after a 57/ 8 low for now. You can scalp buy above 60 if you are just scalping - but need over the high at 83 to hold on

Just noticing the time atm - got to pop out in next 10 mins or so

Should be back after 8.40am - be careful at LO in case some quick moves on key pairs

Still in AU scalp sell but will pull before I leave - currently up 8 pips on that pair

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.