InTheMoneyStocks Market Analysis

Has Toyota (NYSE:TM) Found A Real Low?

Toyota Motors (NYSE:TM) has been on the hot seat recently. Toyota issued a massive recall due to an accelerator problem. This recall has affected millions of vehicles and the owners of theses vehicles. Politicians and federal investigators have made statements about the recall from Toyota as the company is in the news every single day.

On January 15th, 2010 the stock made a new high for the year at nearly 92.00 a share. Since that time the stock has declined to 71.00 on February 4th, 2010. From peak to trough this is a 21 point decline in just 3 trading weeks. While the stock has fallen sharply from these levels they still maintain a lot of market share globally.

Currently Toyota Motors as a stock is under pressure. Many other car companies are trying to capitalize on the negative news from the market leader Toyota. Ford Motors (NYSE:F) is one stock that has traded higher on the back of a falling Toyota stock. Ford has surged over ten fold and nearly 11.00 points throughout 2009 since it's February 2009 lows. From a traders point of view most of the good news looks baked into the cake for Ford.

So what is a better buy here, Ford or Toyota? Throughout history, it is hard to knock off the king. Toyota Motors is still the king. Companies have had recalls before and they seem to always pull through. Toyota is looking attractive at these levels. Remember the market always overshoots much the same way that a pendulum does. Often it goes to an extreme high and then to an extreme low. The same case can be made for a stock. Therefore, keep an eye on Toyota Motors at these levels.

Nicholas Santiago
Chief Market Strategist
www.InTheMoneyStocks.com
tm%20daily%202_8_10.bmp

Re: Has Toyota (NYSE:TM) Found A Real Low?

How many people planning to buy a new/used car would now go for a Toyota?

Re: Has Toyota (NYSE:TM) Found A Real Low?

Now that TM has gotten off the proverbial dime, and is no longer in emotional denial about having quality problems, they're doing a lot of things right -- and better than US car companies have done in the past.

They got complacent and screwed up. But, shutting down the lines due to a recall is a step I've never seen a US carmaker take. Of course, TM did it to limit further damage from a technical problem.

But, it also slams home the message to the employees that this is a serious issue, one not to be wished away or denied, either internally or externally. It lights a fire under management, and focuses attention on any QC problem that may be developing or has developed.

I think they'll come out of this better than Audi did when they accused the drivers of causing the problem, and far better than GM did by letting their quality go to hell for 20 years.

The actual fixes are relatively simple -- 20 minutes for the pedal, 1/2 hour for the software fix on the brake systems. If Toyota takes a lesson from the Tylenol poisoning and bends over backward to address the problem and take full ownership of it through apology and action, they 'll mitigate reputational damage more quickly than many expect.

I wouldn't buy a Toyota because I own BMW's -- but my mother drives one and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'd recommend she buy another.

TM seems to follow the market averages. If the S&P begins to turn up, TM will. But $90 again? It'll be back, but awhile before it happens, IMHO.

Cheers

Last edited:
Tomorrow Is A Huge Day!

This week has been ruled by the dollar and tomorrow will be no exception. Be ready for a wild day as Europe makes a decision on Greece and their debt problems. Will they get a bail out? The answer to that is yes. The question is how much of a bailout. The next issue is which country is next. This is pure and simple a domino effect and the next country needing this is just around the bend. Will it be Portugal or Spain or someone else? The dominos are falling and it is only going to get uglier. This sovereign debt problem really first hit Iceland early in 2009 and then Dubai in November 2009.

With this Greece decision looming tomorrow, be ready for action on the dollar and if the dollar is in play, the markets will be moving. In addition to the Greece news expected, watch for Jobless Claims at 8:30pm ET. I expects a slightly better number than expectations which are 475k. Watch for a number below that and maybe a slight up tick in the futures.

What to watch tomorrow? The dollar is number one based off Greece. You can follow the PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (NYSE:UUP) as it tracks the dollar nicely. In addition, because the dollar is continually in play, watch gold SPDR Gold Trust (ETF) (NYSE:GLD) and oil United States Oil Fund LP (ETF) (NYSE:USO). Commodity stocks on watch for me tomorrow are United States Steel Corporation (NYSE:X) and others. Since the beginning of the year, it has been a fantastic swing trading market and day trading market. Tomorrow promises to be great too! Be ready, join the Research Center to get all the plays, guidance, calls and education.

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com

QUALCOMM, Inc. (NASDAQ:QCOM) Has Made A Bottom

QUALCOMM, Inc. (NASDAQ:QCOM) has been hammered after reporting quarterly results on January 27th, 2010. The stock dropped immediately by about 10% and has continued to move lower. Not only did revenue and profit numbers miss Wall Streets expectations, but they also lowered their future guidance. Since they reported earnings, combined with a downward move in the stock market, Qualcomm has been hammered. The day of earnings, just before they released, the stock traded as high as $47.31. Today, a low was made at $37.00.

So when is Qualcomm, Inc. a buy? That answer is now! Qualcomm just hit a low of $37.00 which has triggered a bullish long signal on the charts. After earnings came out I was asked by my members where a great long opportunity would be. They all wondered if it was at current levels (the day after earnings) when the stock was trading just above $40.00. I replied that the entry would not be until Qualcomm hit $37.00. Today that happened. The alert went out and the stock has started to climb off those levels. The chart below shows exactly why, on a technical basis, Qualcomm is a long.

As a technical swing trader and day trader, one must always look at charts on all time frames and do analysis. It is amazing what one can fine. Enjoy, Live, Learn and Profit!

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com
QCOM02_11_10.jpg

The Markets From The Eye Of A Trader

Ever since the reversal, short term bottoming signal on February 5th, 2010, the markets have traded in a wild manner. The bottoming tail on that day told me to look to go long but with the utmost care. Anytime you have a day where the markets flush out on heavy volume, and then reverse to close higher, it is a good bet there will be a short term reversal. The SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSE:SPY) hit a low that day of $104.58 and ended up closing all the way up at $106.66. The volume was the highest of any day since the March 2009 lows in the market. Funny yet scary how the close of on Friday February 5th, 2010 had 666 ($106.66) while the low from March, which just so happened to be around the same volume, was 666 on the S&P 500. In any case, while I expected this short term reversal, the markets still remained in a precarious place. Global debt and growth worries, China raising capital requirements for banks and currency worries, wildness. This alerted me to be extremely short term on any swing trades I took while using break even stops on all positions once they were in the money.

Since that great reversal a week ago, the markets have done exactly what one would have expected. We have chopped up and down wildly, today being no exception with a general short term trend of higher. After a huge rally yesterday, China announced they would be raising their capital requirements for their banks. This immediately put pressure on the futures. The dollar started to jump as well. Anything that is not viewed as a positive for any country outside the United States will strengthen the dollar. This in turn puts pressure on the markets.

I continue to expect further choppy upside trading in the coming one to two weeks. After this, I will be very careful as the markets may move sharply lower. Short term swing trades will continue to be the answer to profiting in this market. The technical levels dictate the entries.

As I mentioned, the markets are selling again today after the big rally yesterday. At this point of the day we have negated all of yesterdays move. Stocks that continue to outperform are United States Steel Corporation (NYSE:X) and other commodity steel plays like Steel Dynamics, Inc. (NASDAQ:STLD). These stocks have been hammered in recent weeks more so than other plays. It appears as if they are getting some continued short covering and upward momentum.

The two technology stocks that are rallying higher today on an overall weak session are Qualcomm, Inc. (NASDAQ:QCOM) and Research In Motion Limited (NASDAQ:RIMM). While most technology stocks are lower today, these two are higher. Research In Motion appears to have a clear path to gap window on the daily chart at $71.50. Once that price hits, there will be some resistance. It it breaks, the gap could be filled all thew way to $83.00. Considering this market and the weakness, I would not hold my breath in the short term for that gap to be filled. Qualcomm Inc. has continued its upward move following yesterdays buy signal I wrote about when it hit $37.00. On the charts this is an unbelievable level of support and sure enough the stock continues to rip higher off that level. Since the hit of $37.00 yesterday, Qualcomm Inc. has gone to a high of $38.68. This move is probably coming to a short term end now. Consolidation is needed.

Remember folks, this market is not a forgiving market right now. Never chase! Once a stock bounces, the entry is missed. Learn the technical levels, they work.

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com

Re: The Markets From The Eye Of A Trader

"I continue to expect further choppy upside trading in the coming one to two weeks."

"After this, I will be very careful as the markets may move sharply lower..."

Well... at least you left out the sideways possibility :)

Inside: Market Mental Asylum

This article is meant to be a compilation of market ideas, data, analysis and guidance. It comes from a Chief Market Strategist who considers his mind to be somewhat of a market mental asylum with crazy ideas, thoughts and knowledge all thrown together. Enjoy the journey!

The Federal Reserve Slowly Gaining Massive Control

Auditing the Federal Reserve? The clamor has been silenced. The last time I heard anything about that was months ago. Slowly, over the last decade, the Federal Reserve has been taking control of the financial markets. How have they been doing this? The Federal Reserve has been shifting the markets into a pure dollar play. Have you all noticed how the markets move opposite the dollar? Every time the dollar ticks higher, the markets move lower and every time the dollar inches down, the markets scream higher. With commodity stocks now making up so much of the indexes, and everyone focused on the global recovery, the dollar is now in total control of the markets. In easier terms, the Federal Reserve now controls the markets as they have control of monetary policy. All of a sudden the printing of money does not seem so bad? Coincidence, I think not! With one swift comment from Federal Reserve Chief Ben Bernanke, he can cause the markets to jump or drop based on how the dollar reacts to his comments. The power is unbelievable. To think, many of you signed up to trade stocks yet find yourselves investing, trading in a market where the stock does not matter, just the dollars movement. Is it deliberate? It may be. With this country facing an uncertain future, it is more than likely obvious to the Federal Reserve they need to try and control the outcome. By controlling the dollar, and with a weaker dollar helping Wall Street, the printing of money seems suddenly good! Hmmm. One begins to wonder if it is all just a rigged game? Think about it. We all know massive amounts of money are being printed, but now when that happens and the dollar falls, Wall Street actually rallies. Down the road when inflation rears its ugly head and the dollar drops sharply...the markets may just rally in a big way. I say that last sentence with a little sarcasm of course. Yes, the markets will rally but nothing works out as planned. Eventually, a dollar that becomes too weak will have the opposite reaction it does now. If the Federal Reserve does not hold the dollar in a strict range, watch for 3,000 - 4,000 on the DOW. They have control of the markets, now can they keep it?

A Market Summary From A Technical Perspective

Friday February 5th, 2010
After almost four weeks of selling, the markets again sold off sharply as panic hit its peak. Global concerns over Greece and sovereign debt were everywhere. The SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSE:SPY) hit a low of $104.58 then reversed sharply, closing flat to higher. In addition, oil and gold had a technical collapse and washed out on extremely heavy volume and what is known as capitulation. They then reversed sharply as well. The USO, United States Oil Fund LP (NYSE:USO) flushed to a master level of $34.00 which was a former base pivot back in late September 2009. In addition, the flush on gold, SPDR Gold Trust (NYSE:GLD) filled a major gap at $102.50. This master pivots and gap fills being hit on a volume flush, signaled a reversal in the commodities. This helped fuel the reversal in the markets. By the close, the SPY stood at $106.66, oil and gold ended near the flat line and there was a technical bottoming tail on many daily charts.

Monday February 8th, 2010
After the monster reversal the previous Friday, the markets continued their upward path for the first half of the day. Global concerns still lingered in regards to what exactly the Greece bailout would entail. Just before midday, the markets began to slowly fall and in the last hour of trading the selling accelerated. The markets closed slightly lower. Volume was light however, and the closing levels, technically, put in a solid inside (bullish) flag pattern from the reversal the previous Friday.

Tuesday February 9th, 2010
After the mega reversal and capitulation in the markets from the previous Friday and the Monday inside bullish flag day, the markets ripped higher. It was a choppy trading session but by the close, gains were seen across the board. At this point in the week the dollar was beginning to act like a patient going through seizures. The key to the dollar, PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (NYSE:UUP) was a topping tail on Friday, February 5th, 2010 which as we discussed, also coincided with the bottoming tail in the markets. While the markets were bouncing higher early in the week, the dollar was falling sharply, jumping wildly and driving the intra day charts to look like an EKG. After all was said and done, a rally and market bounce followed the consolidation day. Commodities had all received a solid bounce. Anything gold, oil, steel or copper seemed to be rallying as some fears over the global debt issues were fading. Stocks like Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. (NYSE:FCX), Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE:NEM), United States Steel Corporation (NYSE:X) had all soared off their recent lows.

Wednesday February 10th, 2010
Again, following the market surge the previous day, the markets whipped back and forth, controlled by a dollar that just did not know which way to go. Technically speaking, the topping tail from Friday, February 5th, 2010 and the whippy nature in the following days leads us to believe a near term top is in place on the dollar. However, the control the dollar has over the markets, with the wild swings did not make it easy to trade. A short term dying bull in the dollar does not drop dead easily and the markets paid the price again today. When all was said and done, the markets closed slightly lower. After the previous day rally, this inside small move down was viewed as bullish again. An in spirit of bull flag pause day was in place.

Thursday February 11th, 2010
As you can guess, following each pause day since the bottoming tail on February 5th, 2010, the markets had rallied and today was no different. Up, up and away they went after some initial whipsaw on the dollar. Buyers continued to inch into the markets. Up days since the massive volume reversal the previous Friday were filled with more volume than down days. That signals institutions were buying the market and not necessarily selling. That is a short term bullish sign as well. By the close, the markets were positive in a solid way with the SPY closing above a master level at $108.13. $108.00 has been a master level for months now and must be respected. Note, it still needs to be confirmed.

Friday February 12th, 2010
After one of the wildest weeks of intra day swings I have seen since possibly late 2008, the markets had one last gasp. China raised their lending rates to curb growth and money flow. The markets took that initially as a major positive for the U.S dollar as globally, a slowing China is negative for everyone. Why would they fly to the dollar? The dollar is still the major safety net and reserve currency of the world. The markets gapped lower and sold hard. At the lows, the DOW was down about 150 points. As the dollar approached the double top and high pivot of the previous Fridays topping tail it started to reverse. The markets slammed high going to gap fill on the SPY. Then sold hard as the dollar bounced. The dollar then sold again and the markets screamed back to the double top...yet the dollar inched higher again. In the final gasp of one of the wildest trading weeks I have seen in a long time, the markets rushed higher in the final 15 minutes of the day to close mixed. The SPY closed above $108.00 at $108.04. This is a positive and also a negative. The positive is the SPY held the master $108.00 for the second day in a row. The negative is you did not confirm the move with a higher close. Overall, the reversal must be looked at as bullish. After being down significantly on the day, the markets were able to close flat. What a week!

Market Perspective and Angles For The Coming Week
The bottoming tail on the daily market and SPY charts from over a week ago is the tell tale signal to continue to expect extreme choppy slight upside movement. Since that bottoming tail, each day has been a push, pause (bullish consolidation), push. In addition, the hard, early flush on Friday, followed by the impressive rally back to near break even must be viewed as short term bullish as well. The dollar still looks to have made a short term top though expect the wild intra day swings that will cause the market to rip higher and dump hard. Oil and gold have had a solid move higher in the last week off their lows, look for consolidation and a little more short term upside movement. Generally, next week is expected to be much like last. Choppy with minor overall upside.

Stocks To Watch

After Baidu, Inc. (NASDAQ:BIDU) reported spectacular earnings on Tuesday February 9th, the stock ripped higher. With continued bullish sentiment on a possible Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG) China pullout, Bidu its getting extended. Look for Bidu to take out the even number of $500.00. Once it pushes through that level, I will begin to expect a pullback. It is possible this will happen next week.

Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM) reported a blow out quarter in the middle of a horrific down trend in the markets. The stock ripped higher initially, but has had trouble maintaining the momentum due to the weakness in the markets and commodities. I expect Exxon Mobil to show strength in the coming week as the chart appears to creating a bottom. In addition, the stock price has fallen from a late November 2009 high of over $76.00 to a recent low below $64.00. The current price is just off those lows at $64.80.

As a small cap, I have to start getting extremely interested in Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc. (NYSE:JTX). Here is a stock that is expected to do 220 million in sales for their year ending in early 2011 with $0.50 in EPS. The stock has been crushed recently, dropping from a 2010 high of over $5.00 to a Friday closing price of $2.32. That is a forward P/E of less than 5. Whether the shorts are punishing it or funds are selling, this stock is due for a solid technical bounce. It looks to be a bounce value play at these levels with a possible move back over $3.00 or more.

This concludes this weekend mental asylum report from Chief Market Strategist Gareth Soloway. Join the club and start learnings technical analysis and making profits. See you all at InTheMoneyStocks.com.

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com

The Only Chart That Matters

Every trader and investor is talking about a correction or a small pullback in the market. Since the January top in the major indexes the markets have pulled back about 8 percent into the February 5th low. Now many traders and investors are saying the lows are in and the bull run from March 2009 is about to resume. While it is unknown who will be right or wrong one thing looks certain; the move of the market is directly inverse to the move in the U.S. Dollar.

The U.S. Dollar can be tracked or traded to the long side by using the popular Powershares DB US Dollar Index (NYSEUUP). For traders that are looking to track or play the decline of the the dollar can use the opposite ETF called the Powershares DB US Dollar Index Bearish (NYSE:UDN).

In late January we pointed out that the U.S. Dollar would hit a strong resistance level on the charts shortly. For those that happened to look at a UUP chart would have noticed that price traded into the weekly 50 moving average. After a long period of trading below this level the initial move into this strong moving average would be important and it has served as a wall of resistance for the dollar to climb.

While many traders and investors in the media will point out countless reasons and stories for the market to move in a particular direction it is really all about the dollar. When the dollar declines, everything inflationary catches a bid. Just look at the rally in the market in March 2009; this bull run was on the back of the declining dollar plain and simple.

For example, one can look at the SPDR Gold Shares (NYSE:GLD) today and see that the GLD is trading higher by 2.40 to 109.45 as the dollar declines. The U.S. Oil Fund (NYSE:USO) is trading higher 1.38 to 37.69 as the dollar retreats. Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (NYSE:CLF) which produces iron ore is another commodity stock that is benefiting from the declining dollar. Everything that is commodity related is catching a strong bid on the falling dollar.

When the dollar declines watch the commodity and inflationary stocks. There is a good chance they will be moving higher when the dollar is declining. However, on the flip side when the dollar moves higher traders should be aware that commodity and inflationary stocks will decline. Just look at the decline in the Market Vectors- Gold miners (NYSE:GDX) from early December into February 5th, 2010.This proves that the market depends on a declining dollar in order to move higher.

uup%202_16_10.bmp

Nicholas Santiago
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com

The markets continue to move higher as I had predicted, after the bottoming tail on February 5th, 2010, I start to look for new leadership. That leadership may come from financial stocks that have been muted of late. Today, Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (NYSE:GS) and other stocks are starting to show some leadership. Talk over the weekend that the Volker Rule, harsh regulations on financial institutions may be losing steam. In addition, since President Obama really attacked the banks and the markets tanked, he has been dead silent. Since his silence, the banks have started to put in a short term bottom.

With Goldman Sachs higher by almost 2%, JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM) is also jumping over 2% as are the other banks. Any dent in the possible regulation of these entities could cause a big move higher. Goldman Sachs looks to close the day above the daily 20ma. Should it do that, a clear path is enabled from the current $156.50 level, all the way to $161.00. This happens to be a neck tie and a very serious resistance level.

The markets are having a strong day today, after Friday's big reversal. Friday the markets started off with steep losses, only to surge back and close at the highs of the day around the flat line. Being a bullish signal for today, the markets took the nod and have surged. Last week and today the commodity stocks have rebounded. Stocks like United States Steel Corporation (NYSE:X) have jumped over $8.00 off their recent lows. At this point they look to be getting very extended and could pause. This leaves room for the money flow to head to the financial stocks like Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan Chase. Watch these closely in the coming days.
GS02_16_10.jpg

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com

Market Update: In Motion

Deere & Company (NYSE:DE) is shooting higher today on the back of earnings that tripled analysts expectations for the company. The stock hit a high of $58.05 today in the first 10 minutes of trading only to slowly fade into lunch. The stock continues to trade higher by $2.75 or 5% but is underneath its highs of the day by about $3.50. Technically speaking, the stock is short term extended after just a week ago it hit a low of $48.33. Look for consolidation before further upside.

SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSE:SPY) is showing mediocre strength today on the back of the light volume surge yesterday. The dollar is stronger as global fears remain. However, optimism over the U.S economy appears to be showing itself. Oil is flat along with gold today. Technically, the SPY ran into a wall between $110.35 and $110.50 today. Look for this to be a major resistance level in the coming days.

After a solid move up over the last few days, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) is pulling back. The NASDAQ is still positive, but AAPL remains down about $1.50 or .75%. The stock looks to be taking a break after the solid move higher in the previous few days. It is sitting on the 50ma and just above the 20ma on the daily chart. As long as it holds this level for the next few days, expect AAPL to go higher. Should it fail and come back below those two moving averages, watch out, AAPL could sell back to $190.00 very easily.

While the NASDAQ remains positive today, Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) is very weak. After gapping higher yesterday into the 20ma on the daily chart, AMZN is pulling back. A possible bear flag is in play on the daily chart as well with a first target to the $110.50 gap window. The second target would be a move to a completion of the head and shoulder pattern at $108.00.

The overall market is trading on light volume again today. This was the case yesterday. Overall, a flat day is in order after such a large rally yesterday.

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com

Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:HPQ) Earnings Jump But Stock Gets Stuck

Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:HPQ) reported fantastic quarterly sales, beating analysts expectations. HPQ 's net earnings jumped 25%. to $2.3 billion making them $0.96 per share. Excluding a one time charge, HPQ earned $1.10 which was above analysts expectations of $1.06 per share. In addition, Hewlett- Packard upped revenue guidance slightly. The stock responded positively to this report sending it slightly higher. The stock is trading up a tiny 0.5% on the day.

While Hewlett-Packard had a solid quarter, the stock had already raced into earnings from a low just two weeks ago of $46.46. As of the close yesterday, prior to their earnings report, the stock ended at $50.12, just shy of the 50 moving average on the daily chart. It should be no surprise to anyone that HPQ on earnings ran up, kissed the 50 moving average but now finds itself back just below. As resistance points go, this is a major level which has not been tested since it broke below in mid January. Broken support becomes solid resistance and that is one of the main factors technically, why Hewlett-Packard was seen yesterday, going into earnings, as having a muted response.

The charts can literally dictate and tell you what the odds are on a move going into earnings or other news. They almost seem to know the future. Learn them and profit!

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com

HPQ02_18_10.jpg

Markets Rebound From Steep Early Losses

After a surprise hike in the discount rate to .75% by the fed, the markets have rallied back strongly. Futures overnight on the S&P 500 were down over 12 points but now just sit down 4 points. After the announcement yesterday, the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSE:SPY) was below $110.00 but is now hovering prior to the markets open down just $0.36 to $110.55.

The key to the comeback has been the soothing statements from various federal reserve officials and analyst, urging the markets this is not a new period in the markets where massive tightening will start. In addition, the CPI (consumer price index) was released. After the PPI came in much hotter than expected and could have helped the Federal Reserve raise the discount rate, the CPI came in cooler than expected. The CPI was announced at a gain of .2% but if you strip out food and energy, it actually dropped .1%. After the harsh PPI (producer price index yesterday), showing inflation at the producer level, the CPI has relaxed Wall Street.

The Federal Reserve move has pushed the dollar higher today. The PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (NYSE:UUP) is trading higher pre market to $23.84, up $0.19. That is also putting a little pressure on oil, iPath S&P GSCI Crude Oil Total Return (NYSE:OIL) and gold, SPDR Gold Trust (ETF) (NYSE:GLD).

The presser on the markets was not only due to the Federal Reserve raising the discount rate by a quarter point, but also due to Dell Inc. (NASDAQ:DELL). Dell reported earnings that simply did not perform as well as Wall Street expected overall. The stock is being hit today. This will put a little extra pressure on technology shares today.

Overall, the markets have rebounded sharply from their overnight losses. The markets look to open just slightly lower on the day at this point. Stay tuned for more updates.

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com
By InTheMoneyStocks.com on February 19th, 2010 8:53am Eastern Time

Re: Markets Rebound From Steep Early Losses

Now if the DOW plummets again within a few minutes of this release. What will you attribute that to?

Re: Markets Rebound From Steep Early Losses

the surprise discount rate move. that wasn't a surprise reall.y

United States Steel Corporation Into Major Resistance And Could Be Near Term Top

United States Steel Corporation (NYSE:X) is hammering into the 60 minute charts 200 moving average. In addition, there is a key double top here at $52.60 from February 17th, 2010. The combination of both these levels should work as a great resistance level and could spell a pull back coming for U.S. Steel.

U.S Steel has rallied from a recent low of $42.32 to a recent high today of $52.68. This has all happened in just two week. U.S. Steel is now short term overbought and due for a decent pull back. Watch for a move back to $49.00 in the next week.

U.S. Steel has been crushed since mid January on the back of a rallying U.S. Dollar, as steel prices took a tumble. In addition, earnings for U.S. Steel were not pretty, missing analysts expectations. The stock hit a January high of $66.45.

X02_19_10.jpg

Home Depot, Inc. (NYSE:HD) Stumbles Into Possible Top

Home Depot, Inc. (NYSE:HD) is beginning to look like it is in the process of making a top. The Federal Reserve raised the discount rate a quarter basis point last week and that may spell trouble for the home improvement retailers. While the discount rate does not impact them directly, it may signal the Federal Reserve is nearing a tightening phase on interest rates. Needless to say this would be extremely bearish for the housing market and translates directly to Home Depot.

Just this morning, Lowe's Companies, Inc. (NYSE:LOW) released their earnings for the quarter and beat expectations. They reported net earnings of 205 million or earnings per share of $0.14. This is a 27.3% increase in EPS from the same quarter last year. While these numbers are impressive, can they hold up if the Federal Reserve starts tightening later this year?

While the housing market remains at the lows, prices at 50% discounts to their highs back in 2004 - 2007, interest rates have been near zero and 30 year mortgages have hovered around 5%. Even with these cheap rates at which to borrow money, buying in housing has been scarce. In fact, just to entice buyers, the government has offered tax credits of up to $8,000. Yet, prices still remain at dead lows, the housing market continues to suffer.

Ultimately, if the Federal Reserve is forced to raise interest rates because of inflationary pressures, that will pound the housing market into another leg down. With all the hope that housing is beginning to recover, Home Depot stock is at 52 week highs. Last weeks move by the Federal Reserve spells trouble for them later this year and the charts may be confirming.

Note the chart of Home Depot on the daily and weekly time frames. The daily chart clearly shows a double top at $30.50. In addition, note the negative divergences on the MACD line. That is a clear signal that a top is in or near on Home Depot. The weekly chart has also slammed into the 200 moving average. I am alerting here that Home Depot may be in line for a top and pullback in the coming weeks and months. Watch the Federal Reserve, their actions dictate the future for all housing related companies.

I am looking for Home Depot Inc. to top out after the gap higher today off the Lowe's earnings, based off all these factors. I look for it to pull back over the next few months. Stay tuned to the Research Center for further updates and more analysis and trades.

Related stocks: Toll Brothers, Inc. (NYSE:TOL), KB Home (NYSE:KBH).

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com
Daily Chart
HD02_21_10.jpg

Weekly Chart
HD02_21_2010.jpg

Caution On Retailers. Perry Ellis Intl. Inc. (NASDAQ:pERY), Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. (N

Retailers have had quite a run in the last two weeks. Great earnings and forecasts from the likes of Perry Ellis International, Inc. (NASDAQ:pERY) and others have propelled the whole sector quickly higher since the markets overall bottom on February 5th, 2010. As the economy appears to be back on track after the attempted 10% correction which fell just short, retailers are trying to squeeze every last penny. The Retail HOLDRs (NYSE:RTH) has moved within range of its 52 week high and stocks like Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. (NASDAQ:BBBY) and Tiffany & Co. (NYSE:TIF) have continued to gain momentum from their last fall.

While all seems to be going well for retail in the eyes of Wall Street, I would caution Main Street may not be so kind. Many of these retailers are priced to perfection and pricing wars along with a still stingy consumer may keep these from moving higher. There is no debating that the bounce recently has been tremendous, however, once must look at the pattern and technicals along with the fundamentals. All of these signal a near term priced to perfection retail stock scenerio.

When something is priced to perfection, generally it must continue to outperform in a greater and greater manner. That is a lose, lose proposition for any company. Any blip in the business can cause a dramatic decline. The problem for retail is that it continues to be on the cliff of not only consumer spending but its own pricing war. I caution on retail stocks and specifically look to possibly take advantage of a fall in the next month on the Retail HOLDRs (NYSE:RTH). I look for a pullback below $90.00 from the current level of $94.50.

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com

First Solar, Inc. Looks Cloudy As Canadian Solar Inc.Wins No Gold

Solar flares are sputtering from the solar sector of late as margins look to be under excessive pressure and outlooks appear cloudy. First Solar, Inc. (NASDAQ:FSLR) reported earnings last week and disappointed Wall Street. The stock was punished. Today again, First Solar Inc. is under quite a bit of pressure after an analyst from Wunderlich Securities started the company with a sell rating and a price target of $90.

Other companies have seen similar earnings pressure and comments from their management. Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ:CSIQ) tumbled late last week and continued its fall early this week. The company cut gross margins. The rest of the sector has seen their stock prices drop as the big worry on margins continues.

While solar stocks have been one of the hottest sectors over the last few years, the massive influx of new companies entering the arena make it almost impossible for them all to survive with the supply increase. Margins will continue to shrink and there will be consolidation in the sector over the next two years.

Technical Analysis View
Pre market, First Solar Inc. is trading near $107, down almost 5%. $107 is a key area of support on the charts. However, other than a bounce being possible intra day or for a day, it is unlikely to hold in the coming weeks. The next major level of support for First Solar Inc. is at $99.50. This will act as a solid level for a bounce. If that breaks, the ultimate technical support is at $85.00.

The technicals on Canadian Solar Inc. are slightly different. With a gap down pre market, they show there is no major support until $18.00 - $18.50. At that level, the daily 200 moving average will be tagged. That will be a significant level and should see a bounce.

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com

The Big Bad Double Dip Is Coming. JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM), Lennar Corporation

After the Consumer Confidence numbers came out at a pathetic 46 from 56.5 last month, many began to wonder where the disconnect was? The President and his economic team have said the economy is on the road to recovery while many firms on Wall Street have reported stellar earnings. Yet the consumer apparently is having a major drop in confidence. This news was released at 10:00am ET yesterday.

Fast forward to today. At 10:00am ET New Home Sales were released. The markets once again sold hard as New Home Sales came in down 11.2%. This was a record low. So what is really going on here? Where is this recovery?

Sad to say, but the recovery seems to be purely stimulus based and even that is faltering. Could we be heading towards a 20 year period like Japan has had? While people say, "no, this is different!" It is mostly likely the same. Human nature does not change and in general we do not learn from our mistakes. Japan tried many stimulus plans just like we are now. They failed to ultimately have an impact.

They can pump as much money into the economy as they want, running our debt sky high, but bottom line is, without jobs, without confidence, this economy will not recover. I hate to say it but sometimes the hard path is the shortest. It is time this country sucks it up and takes the pain. Sharp pain for one or two years then pleasure is much better than dull pain for 20 years in my opinion.

My analogy would be this. Think of a boat with just too many holes in it. You can bail out the water as fast as you can, but you are going down either way. Better to let it sink and swim for shore I say!

While the bad news has flowed the last few days, the markets are actually up nicely on the back of a collapsing dollar. The dollar is getting hit and that is sending the markets higher. Remember, the dollar is everything in this market. No matter the news! If the dollar is down, the markets will be up. Simple as that!

Lennar Corporation (NYSE:LEN) is trading down on the day though well off the lows. It is lower by 1.5%. Toll Brothers, Inc. (NYSE:TOL) is also trading down but far off the lows. It is just down .75%.

Technology is rebounding today headed Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) up 1.6.%. Financials are also helping the markets move higher with JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM) up 2%.

Gareth Soloway
Chief Market Strategist
InTheMoneyStocks.com