Article Interview with an Equities Analyst

T2W Bot

Staff member
1,454 55
P: = Paul Mullen (Interviewer)
J: = James (Equities Analyst)
You can listen or download this interview by clicking this link:
Equity Analyst Interview
P: Hello, and welcome to everyone. My name is Paul Mullen. I’m also known as Trader333 and I’m the Content Development Editor for Trade2Win.

Today, I’m interviewing James, who is an equities analyst working in London, so a very warm welcome to you James. We’ll start straightaway by asking you what is an equities analyst, assuming that is what you are?
J: Yes, that is what I am. It’s quite a complicated role because I think the way it’s perceived is people see the end product being written reports, generally, with recommendations and price targets, and so on. That’s actually a very small part of what the analyst does. It might be helpful, in a way, to look at the other way...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

timsk

Legendary member
7,088 1,882
This recorded format is central to the way Paul (Trader333) and I see the Articles section developing in the future. We welcome your feedback and criticism - so long as it's constructive. Do you like the recorded format? Does it help having the written transcription - or is it not necessary? Were the main issues covered in the interview, or were you left wanting to know the answer to a fundamental question which didn't get asked? Tell us your thoughts and, when and where possible, we'll incorporate your suggestions in future interviews. Thanks for your feedback.

Mary Pippins

28 0
Really good, article, chose to read through it. It gave me an important insight into an aspect of the trading world that I didn't really consider very much as a technically driven short term trader.

2,307 607
Recorded format useful but written is essential in my view - can chew over the views / crap /goodstuff etc.

You may have already offered this: opportunity for readers to submit questions prior to the interview - obviously we would need to know who is to be involved and the areas they are prepared to discuss.

sandpiper

458 54
Naz Interview

Hey Guys,

What happened to the Naz interview? I had read the transcript and wanted to listen to the mp3, but it appears to have gone AWOL.

timsk

Legendary member
7,088 1,882
Hi sandpiper and Mike,
The interview with Alan Rich and the accompanying 'T2W Bot' thread was taken down as we felt that it didn't achieve the high standards that we're aiming for and the community deserves. When you're in the thick of things, it's sometimes tricky to see the wood for the trees, further complicated in this case by that fact that both Paul and I know Alan and his 'story' well, making it tricky to listen to / read the interview afresh. However, following initial feedback from members, it was clear we hadn't got this one quite right, so we decided to remove it. Only the best will do! Sorry for any inconvenience caused; hopefully we've learnt some valuable lessons which will pay dividends in the future.
Tim.

montmorencyt2w

2,620 294
Hi sandpiper and Mike,
The interview with Alan Rich and the accompanying 'T2W Bot' thread was taken down as we felt that it didn't achieve the high standards that we're aiming for and the community deserves. When you're in the thick of things, it's sometimes tricky to see the wood for the trees, further complicated in this case by that fact that both Paul and I know Alan and his 'story' well, making it tricky to listen to / read the interview afresh. However, following initial feedback from members, it was clear we hadn't got this one quite right, so we decided to remove it. Only the best will do! Sorry for any inconvenience caused; hopefully we've learnt some valuable lessons which will pay dividends in the future.
Tim.
Hm...I was actually looking forward to that one! I enjoy reading his stuff.
Didn't realise that there was going to be a race against time in which to listen to it!
hm...

Trader333

8,502 881
Hm...I was actually looking forward to that one! I enjoy reading his stuff.
Didn't realise that there was going to be a race against time in which to listen to it!
hm...
It was not a case of a race against time and was entirely to do with feedback.

Paul

Technically Fundamental

2,810 178
Far better than Joe Ross's spiel but I don't see how that would be of too much interest outside of the grad market. Maybe would have been more interesting if discussing the methodology used in the analysis and/or how someone in said role would react to or has reacted to the the fast paced changes in the market over the last year. Just a quick idea, not very well thought through but I'm sure you'll get where I'm going.

montmorencyt2w

2,620 294
It was not a case of a race against time and was entirely to do with feedback.

Paul
The "race against time" I referred to was the one that someone like me would have had to read it after first casually noticing it was up and before you took it down again!

How long was it up, and how much feedback can you have received in that relatively short time and what did the feedback say? I am grateful to you that in response to my posting above you let me have a copy of the interview anyway to judge for myself, and I don't see any problem with it. Unless the subject of the interview asked for it to be withdrawn, I can't see any reason to do so. Personally, I think it's a much better interview than the one with the equities analyst (and not just because it's about trading rather than a career in banking). (I will make some specific points about that one in a separate posting).

The interviewee is heard loud and clear; there is much less cross-talking than on the E.A. one; what he says is just the sort of thing that a trader would be interested in (in my opinion of course). I think it's a pity that you didn't let (more of) the T2W membership be the judge as to whether it was of a high enough standard or not.

Trader333

8,502 881
and how much feedback can you have received in that relatively short time and what did the feedback say?
Enough to remove it although this will probably be temporary. It should not have gone live when it did as there is a bug in the system that published it earlier than should have been the case. I also wanted to set a few things differently to how it was actually published.

Paul

Technically Fundamental

2,810 178
Well do you ?

Paul
That's not the point. This article came across more efinancialcareers than what i thought trade2win was supposed to be about. As a day-trading website I'd have expected some sort of reference to how the work of an equity analyst is reflected in the intra-day market. Maybe an overview of the types of buy/sell systems, things that can go wrong, things to be considered, relationship with the execution traders etc.

On the upside, as an article (which is probably part of development on a new branch of advertising income from grad recruiters for Sharky
) it was better than anything I've seen on efinancialcareers in the past year or so.