Article Interview with an Equities Analyst

Trader333

8,502 881
Whilst T2W may have an emphasis on day-trading, it also has a lot of interest from almost every other type of trader around. As such it would not be a good idea to only focus in one area. There will be (at least I am hoping there will be) more articles for those whose interest is in day-trading but there will also be a wide variety of other articles to cater for those who trade or are interested in trading across a broad arena.

Paul

Technically Fundamental

2,810 178
Whilst T2W may have an emphasis on day-trading, it also has a lot of interest from almost every other type of trader around. As such it would not be a good idea to only focus in one area. There will be (at least I am hoping there will be) more articles for those whose interest is in day-trading but there will also be a wide variety of other articles to cater for those who trade or are interested in trading across a broad arena.

Paul
Fair enough. As I said before I'll read them as they are a great improvement on "do yo fail because your mum didn't cook your beans properly" but I stand by the view that in the current format they are still quite irrelevant to a) professionals who will already have an idea of what these roles are about - probably on par with the depth the article went into b) aspiring retail traders who want to know what's going on in the markets and don't care about the office which are the two parties that I though made up the bulk of the population.

I'm of the opinion that information pertaining to how people in each of these roles operate in the market would be a lot more interesting. I'm not talking a "walk me through a trade" interview but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from.

Anyway, well done for getting rid of Joe Ross.(y)

Trader333

8,502 881
I'm of the opinion that information pertaining to how people in each of these roles operate in the market would be a lot more interesting
Can you expand on what you specifically mean by this or even an example ?

Paul

Technically Fundamental

2,810 178
Ask GammaJammer... that guy is indispensable. I'd say ask Arabian too but I'm sure he's too busy with all of this "epic-ness" or he just doesn't care. (seeing how he's been uber-lurking lol)

Asking me to expand or give an example is somewhat paradoxical.

Last edited:

montmorencyt2w

2,620 294
Critique of the "Equity Analyst" Interview

Critique of the "Equity Analyst" Interview
--------------------------------------------------------------

You asked for feedback, so here goes. However, although this is going to sound critical, it is not meant as a personal criticism of Paul. He is clearly an intelligent, articulate, personable chap and he knows a thing or two about trading and much else, I have no doubt. This is a critique of the interview as a sound interview - in this case it was a podcast but in style it was very similar to a radio interview (of which I have many years experience as a listener! (I'm from that generation I guess)).

Also I won't comment much about the content. The subject matter didn't interest me particularly (it might appeal more to younger chaps at the start of their careers). However, I might have been more interested in listening to it in spite of that if the interviewee had been a bit more engaging, or perhaps had been allowed to speak a bit more without interruption.

So my criticism is mainly about the style in which it was conducted. OK, I gather it was done by telephone (or perhaps skype) which imposes some limitations. I found the constant reassurances from the interviewer ("yes" "I agree" "that's what I thought" etc) really irritating. Now in a face-to-face interview (even if we can't see it e.g. two people in a radio studio), interviewer and interviewee can see each other and the interviewee can be encouraged with non-verbal cues like nods and gestures.

I don't quite know what the solution to the lack of visual cues is: could webcams be used? (I don't know if the response would be fast enough though). BTW, I don't mean for use in the final interview - we wouldn't get to see these - this would be purely for the interviewer and interviewee to establish visual - especially eye contact.

But apart from that sort of interruption (irritating for the listener), we heard far too many views and opinions from the interviewer. Now the basic function of an interviewer is to get the interviewee to talk as much and as fluently as possible, and in all other respects be as unobtrusive as possible. For good examples of what is required (IMHO), the gold standard is the best of the interviews you will hear from time to time
on BBC Radio 4. No, not those awfully aggressive verbal punch-ups on the "Today" programme in the morning. A better example would be someone like Mark Lawson on "Front Row" in the evening. He doesn't remain silent, but once the subject has got going, he rarely interrupts until it is clear that it's time for a new question. The golden rule of radio is that two people talking at the same time cannot be understood by the
listener! It is totally different to television in this respect where the viewer has so many more visual clues as to what is going on and who is speaking. It's even more critical if the people involved have similar voices, as Paul and James seem to have.

At times, this interview sounded more like a conversation than an interview. Now, there is a place for recorded conversations and also discussions. However, they are not the same as interviews, so if this is advertised as an interview that's what it should be.

This is not to say that Paul might not have interesting things to say. I'm sure he would, but that's not the point. The point was for us to listen to what James had to say on this occasion.

Actually, I think we should have Tim interviewing Paul and Paul interviewing Tim another time; talking about both their trading careers and their T2W careers, and/or anything else they want to tell us about themselves.

By the way, I said that I thought the Alan Rich interview was better than this one, and I stand by that. Alan is clearly a natural communicator, even if he may not display the public-school/Oxbridge-type polish of James. I would listen to Alan speaking any day of the week. I'd have to make an effort to listen to James again I'm afraid (sorry James - however, I don't think it was all your fault).

Check out the BBC R4 Front Row Podcast:
BBC - Podcasts - Front Row Highlights

Also:
BBC - Radio 4 - Front Row
(The John Le Carre one is particularly good IMHO).

Trader333

8,502 881
Thank you for your feedback. I did make an effort following this interview to not interrupt or say much at all. As you say the style is more a conversation between two traders than an outright interview as I am not a journalist. I will also be trying to not give my views in future and let the interviewee do most of the talking.

Paul

timsk

Legendary member
7,087 1,880
Actually, I think we should have Tim interviewing Paul and Paul interviewing Tim another time; talking about both their trading careers and their T2W careers, and/or anything else they want to tell us about themselves.
:LOL:
I don't think so!

Mike - thanks for your comments. As with just about everything in life, it's very easy to criticize others, especially if we don't know a great deal about what they do or don't / can't do it ourselves. Hundreds of thousands of people do it every week on the football terraces! Your comments are constructive and well meant, I know. Even so, it's worth pointing out that this was only Paul's second (or may be third) interview that he's conducted and I'm sure that there's a great deal more to it than many of us would imagine. Not only is he the interviewer, but he's also also the sound recording technician and editor as well. While I think a number of your criticisms are valid, given these circumstances, I think Paul did a very good job indeed and a much better one than I could ever do. That said, I'm sure Paul learnt a lot from it and will take your comments on board and his style will improve with experience.

On a more general note, I'll address some of TF's comments. The interview achieved its objectives very well, IMO. These objectives were set out very clearly in this thread especially in post #3:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/t2w-articles/74632-trader-interviews.html
Take a look at the thread and you'll see that the idea is to give an overview of some of the different professions in the industry, loosely based around the 'day in the life of . . .' template. The vast majority of future articles will be with traders talking either about their own trading or an aspect of it. Anyone who's listened to the interview with James will now have a pretty good idea of what his work life consists of, ranging from the micro day to day workload panning out to the macro level, where he talks about the quarterly cycles. One of the criticisms was that he didn't explain how he arrived at his recommendations (or words to that effect). I thought he covered that well: equity analysts primarily use fundamentals and then the sales team might focus in on the technicals to fine tune their recommendations to clients. Let's face it, if he'd started talking about PBV, PCF, PEG and PER etc., the interview would have gone on forever and everyone would have fallen asleep by the end of it!
Tim.

Last edited:

arabianights

Legendary member
6,725 1,377
Ask GammaJammer... that guy is indispensable. I'd say ask Arabian too but I'm sure he's too busy with all of this "epic-ness" or he just doesn't care. (seeing how he's been uber-lurking lol)

Asking me to expand or give an example is somewhat paradoxical.
Staff are acting against lulz and there's very little useful trading content here, what do you expect me to do :LOL:

I see my future t2w career as something like zupcon's... constantly moaning.

(Actually I was interviewed for this as well but it was crap!*)

*Not Paul's fault, I'm just not very verbose...

amit1986

Experienced member
1,100 66
While I understand the need to keep standards high at T2W, I must say that I found the Alan Rich interview particularly enlightening. I did not know much about his background besides the usual stuff I read on Google, so the interview did provide a way to listen to his story from his own mouth - a great experience.

I wanted to listen to it again tonight but had trouble finding it, only to come here and realize it had been taken down. To be honest, I was slightly disappointed.

If you guys decide to take another interview of Alan Rich, I look forward to hearing/reading it. Also, may I suggest an interview of Mr. Charts?

Many thanks for the great resources provided by you gentlemen,

Amit

Trader333

8,502 881
The interview with Alan will be back up soon I just wanted to make some minor changes to it. I am also hoping that Mr Charts will be willing to do one as well when time permits.

Paul