Internet Explorer 9 slow - are there optimum settings?

tomorton

Guest Author
My IE9 has dropped speed over the last few weeks to about one tenth what it was previously. Two causes may be behind this, both at about the same time as this started.

My favourite was a Microsoft update 2-3 weeks back. These often seem to cause weird problems on the desktop at home and at work and in the past have regularly cut off the laptop from the internet altogether.

At around the same time I was also disabling IE add-ons to see if I could get the browser to open a but quicker - it was sometimes 20-30 minutes after boot-up before I had a network connection.

I have done a defrag and full scan for viruses, with negative results.

Before I contact BT, are there some IE settings I could check that make the browser work so slowly?

Any other ideas?

Maybe try running msconfig and Task Manager to see what's being loaded up during boot. Better still, use Firefox or Chrome instead.

Maybe try running msconfig and Task Manager to see what's being loaded up during boot. Better still, use Firefox or Chrome instead.

That has solved all my IE problems, honestly. I will never go back to IE again.

Peter

chrome is much better and faster i hate IE , however try this : go to internet options/advanced/reset...

My IE9 has dropped speed over the last few weeks to about one tenth what it was previously. Two causes may be behind this, both at about the same time as this started.
Before I contact BT, are there some IE settings I could check that make the browser work so slowly?

Any other ideas?

Best IE settings is the "Uninstall" settings.
As per the other posters, use Google Chrome. (y)

Mail Microsoft and go through their totally pointless troubleshooting guide then uninstall it to run Firefox. Make sure you download the plugins that you will need and only those you will need. Adblock being the most essential.
It also makes sense to check your network and broadband connections. Ring up your provider and ask them to check the line then:
Open a command prompt

Type in:
cd\
ipconfig/all | more

This will give you your dns server address (mine is 217.171.132.1)

From the cmd prompt type the command:
ping-t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx using your dns server address
(ping stands for packet inter network groper) so you should have no problem rememberring it
You should see a screen as below.
If it comes back as "request timed out" then you have a dropping off network connection.
Hope this helps, pm me if you need any more advice.
Tayto the Crisp

Attachments

• pingo.jpg
    pingo.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,182