Best Thread Interactive Brokers

What will happen to the E-mini Russell 2000 contract on IB when it moves over to ICE?
When will IB offer the new contracts on the InterContinental Exchange (ticker symbols TO & TF) and what will the margin/spread be? Tick size & value should remain the same as far as I can read on the reports, right?

Still no news on this...?

Looking at Cac Index options and later possibly some stock pair trading (if shorting allowable).

Cheers, I'll format into some questions.

Here are those questions - thanks

when trading options are spreads strategies offset against each other for margin requirements (portfolio margining rather than individual positions)?

When hedging/rehedging an options position with underlying or future what is the margining scenario?

How does your margining work for writing options work?

How would margining for synthetic option positions be taken into account? I.e. would I get margined for the future and the option?

Do IB have a borrowing desk/allow short selling of stocks?

Is cross margining taken into account for trading cross equity index future spreads intra day and overnight?

Why would the Dax and Euro Stoxx 50 (futures) go to overnight margining at 18.15 (or something similar) when they are open till 9 pm (London time)?

Not to worry, thanks for the time and effort.

If there is any IB representive on this thread, feel free to answer the above questions.

i think the best thing to do is just ring them and speak to the dealing desk direct

Hi all,
I've just opened an IB Account and I have a few questions I'd appreciate peoples advice on:

1) Which version of the TWS software is best to use – the Browser-Based or Standalone version?
2) Is using SSL recommended?
3) Does IB have a Symbols Guide (as a reference when inputting Market Data)?
4) Is there an option to Practice Trade and get used to the TWS software (eg: Paper Trading)?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi all,
I've just opened an IB Account and I have a few questions I'd appreciate peoples advice on:

1) Which version of the TWS software is best to use – the Browser-Based or Standalone version?
2) Is using SSL recommended?
3) Does IB have a Symbols Guide (as a reference when inputting Market Data)?
4) Is there an option to Practice Trade and get used to the TWS software (eg: Paper Trading)?

Thanks,
Paul

1) Browser based and stand alone are essentially the same. No functional or performance difference for the same version of TWS.
2) Use SSL
3) Somewhere - look at the various products on web site. Symbols for each exchange as listed. Or click on lookup icon on tws.
4. You can set up a paper trading account via account management.

Thanks dcraig1

I found the Symbols guide via the "Ticker Menu - Add Symbol or Lookup Symbol".

I wasn't sure how stable the Browser based version would be (thought it might run within Internet Explorer), compared to a Windows Standalone version. I have the browser based version up and running and it seems fine so far.

Paul

I am based in the UK and have been using spread betting brokers up until now. I am trying to decide whether to open an account with either Interactive Brokers or MB Trading. I trade spot forex intraday and was wondering if anyone know which broker would be better suited to my style of trading?

I trade 200k - 2m and sometimes like to scalp the market. Does Interbank execute spot fx quickly or is there a delay?

Opening an account

Question for a friend of mine who wishes to open an IB account.

Are there any other requirements other than age (21) and the minimum initial deposit of 5000 USD (or equivalent)?

I mean does one need to have x amounts of market experience of a proof of fixed annual income? That was not the case at the time I opened an account, but I've been hearing rumors about more stringent rules? Could someone please clarify this, or someone who recently applied or is in the process of applying for an account?

For instance, a college/graduate student who wants to try trading options for a couple of months won't be allowed?

It is not possible to suspend your account if you will be inactive for a long period. Thus you will have to close and reopen an account later on.

If you are inactive for a "long" period but leave money in your account nothing happens right? If you withdraw all the money from your account then it will be closed automatically I think. If I'm reading this correctly, you won't be able to reopen it later on but have to apply again manually (and go through the whole process all over again)?

Nzd Usd

Hi,
I have a couple of IB accounts , I would like to be able to trade the Nzd/Usd cross , have IB any plans to add this pair ?

Thanks
Ian

If you can make it into London,IB do very good presentations on how to use the platform it does way more than anyone knows! Have a look at their website for education,or email them -Gerry Perez is a lovely chap, and they are very helpful.

DMFXTrader,
IB is good for scalping and it is indifferent to your style because it takes commissions for trades and do not make markets.

IB and large Volume

hi

ive been trading with IB for around 12 months on the YM future. ive slowing been building my bank and now trading at 50 contracts round trip.

The question I have is does anyone trade large volume and have problems getting filled on all contracts? if so, what do you do to solve this problem?

thanks

d

hi

ive been trading with IB for around 12 months on the YM future. ive slowing been building my bank and now trading at 50 contracts round trip.

The question I have is does anyone trade large volume and have problems getting filled on all contracts? if so, what do you do to solve this problem?

thanks

d
i think the easy answer to your question would be trade the $10 future instead of the e mini ym. allways the dow big$25, allthough i havnt watched it for volume or spread.