Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Has anyone tried the "Chart Trader" facility on IB?
What do you think of it?
Many thanks,

Neil

It's probably got a lot more functionality that I exploited, but I found it fairly useful for setting limit/stop buy/sell orders from key areas of resistance/support. In the end I got fed up with IB charts though, so would use charts from elsewhere and just enter the orders into the main screen. Can't say I really miss using it, but as I say, I probably wasn't using it to its fullest extent.

It's probably got a lot more functionality that I exploited, but I found it fairly useful for setting limit/stop buy/sell orders from key areas of resistance/support. In the end I got fed up with IB charts though, so would use charts from elsewhere and just enter the orders into the main screen. Can't say I really miss using it, but as I say, I probably wasn't using it to its fullest extent.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but do IB offer Level 2 data for UK and US stocks as well as indices ? Have tried to search IB website, but to no avail.

I'm contemplating signing up for IB purely for data feed purposes only initially.

Thanks in advance.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but do IB offer Level 2 data for UK and US stocks as well as indices ? Have tried to search IB website, but to no avail.

I'm contemplating signing up for IB purely for data feed purposes only initially.

Thanks in advance.

yes, although you have to pay for it. Look under Fees, then Market Data on their website, and it'll tell you how much for which market. Not sure what you mean for indices: if you mean index futures, then yes.

If you're signing up for a data feed only, then bear in mind that the 'free' data feeds (which are US stocks and electronic futures IIRC), are only 'free' if you spend a mininum of $30 on commission each month, otherwise they charge. Not sure IB for data feed is the way to go if you don't intend trading with them: for one thing the charts are awful (IMO) - it's the trading capability which is good and cheap.

JOC,

Thanks for your helpful reply. Bearing that in mind, I'll take the IB plunge when ready to use as a broker as well.

Mikey.

Could someone let me know how much commission I would be charged by IB if I wanted to buy 2 lots (200,000) of spot GBP/USD and then close the trade.

JOC,

Thanks for your helpful reply. Bearing that in mind, I'll take the IB plunge when ready to use as a broker as well.

Mikey.
Although IB'ss charts are not the best, Medved Quotetracker is a free charting program which runs off IB's feed. Excellent charts and backup. Subscription removes the banner ads.

yes, although you have to pay for it. Look under Fees, then Market Data on their website, and it'll tell you how much for which market. Not sure what you mean for indices: if you mean index futures, then yes.

If you're signing up for a data feed only, then bear in mind that the 'free' data feeds (which are US stocks and electronic futures IIRC), are only 'free' if you spend a mininum of $30 on commission each month, otherwise they charge. Not sure IB for data feed is the way to go if you don't intend trading with them: for one thing the charts are awful (IMO) - it's the trading capability which is good and cheap.

But the "I only take data" fee is only $10 so its very cheap data. For charting, QuoteTracker is ok although I prefer the look and feel of Sierra Chart or Ensign.

Thanks guys for your input.

I've heard from a few peeps now that IB charts aren't all that and the look and feel of charts is quite important to me. However, I did think that $10 was a pretty cheap fee for regular reliable data for the markets I need (considering other data feeds which potential charge more and can sometimes have data errors too).

I will perhaps investigate quotetracker, along with ensign and sierra to see which charting software 'feels' the best. (I do like prorealtime / IT Finance's but real time data seems very expensive).

Mikey.

But the "I only take data" fee is only $10 so its very cheap data. For charting, QuoteTracker is ok although I prefer the look and feel of Sierra Chart or Ensign.

I sent IB an email enquiring about a "data only" account. They replied that there is a minimum $5000.00 opening balance requirement. Seems a costly way to get a cheap feed as I don't intend to trade with them for awhile. I want to come up to speed with using their live data feed and some charting software before taking the plunge with them.

Does the balance have to remain above $5000 or can one withdraw the funds again if only wanting the data feed?

rgds

I suspect it has to remain in the region of 5k. In which case you need to double or triple the data fee depending on your after tax interest rate.

It has only to remain a positive balance.

Well I believe there are certain minimums.
If you leave only 50$ for instance, I'm pretty sure they'll close out your account.

The minimum to trade is 2000 USD. If you only want to use the feed, I think you should leave around 500 USD, remember there are also monthly fees if you don't generate any commissions.

Well I believe there are certain minimums.
If you leave only 50$ for instance, I'm pretty sure they'll close out your account.

The minimum to trade is 2000 USD. If you only want to use the feed, I think you should leave around 500 USD, remember there are also monthly fees if you don't generate any commissions.

Thanks firewalker / peto / 9,

That sounds doable as I plan to trade with them in the medium term anyway, just not in the short term. I'll check with IB.

My immediate priority is to get an independent data feed and to get away from the tools that my current broker provides. I don't have a problem with them, their tools or their service, but I'm locked in to their system. I don't think this is good.

rgds

If you were just trading Forex then the datafeed from IB is more than adequate in my view. As you wish to trade a number of instruments then it is worth checking the likes of IQ feed and eSignal.

Paul

If you were just trading Forex then the datafeed from IB is more than adequate in my view. As you wish to trade a number of instruments then it is worth checking the likes of IQ feed and eSignal.

Paul

Thanks. Forex is my main interest and it'll be awhile before I do more than dabble with shares in a small way. I'll be taking your advice.

Which data subscription for FTSE100 fut (Z) ?

Have subscribed to

Euronext.Liffe Commodities Derivatives Level 1

but still can't get quotes or feed - have got correct data sub ?

Cheers
Chad