Best Thread Interactive Brokers

with Nijatrader I assume you need to build a programming script to create "execution based alerts". Not being a great programmer, is it easy to do?

Client fund exposure to Credit Crunch ?

Dear IB
In view of the current problems associated with Banking and sub-prime mortgage exposure, will you please provide your latest information regarding the security and protection of IB client funds in trading accounts.
Regards
Glenn

Lots of questions

I am also looking for a good broker to trade the market US opening gaps.
I am living in Germany, what would be the better to open an account in US or UK?

In the demo of TWS is the prices which I am seeing real?

TIME & SALES & CHARTS
Often some of the charts only open with 1 bar although I have said to show 2 days.
The time and sales aren't always being shown or upto the actual time.

FEES
I have read that to put money into an IB account $25,000, I would have a rather large fee to pay where it would cost me $150 to $250.

There is also any other fees to open an account and to use the TWS via the internet. i read somewhere a $500 fee is required. Plus 10 per month.

IB could you please clarify that as their just too much information.

I am also looking for a good broker to trade the market US opening gaps.
I am living in Germany, what would be the better to open an account in US or UK?

In the demo of TWS is the prices which I am seeing real?

Yes and no. They are probably real but a lot of ticks are missed out. The demo just gives you an idea of what real will be.

TIME & SALES & CHARTS
Often some of the charts only open with 1 bar although I have said to show 2 days.
The time and sales aren't always being shown or upto the actual time.

Demo is just an idea ... not the real thing

FEES
I have read that to put money into an IB account $25,000, I would have a rather large fee to pay where it would cost me $150 to $250.

No, its $2,500 I think ... someone correct me if I'm wrong and its 5k.

There is also any other fees to open an account and to use the TWS via the internet. i read somewhere a $500 fee is required. Plus 10 per month.

No. You pay $10 per month for basic data until you get to $30 per month of commissions. The $500 is rubbish.

IB could you please clarify that as their just too much information.

See added text.

Interactive Brokers does not hold any Subprime/CDO Exposure. As a regulated broker, IB is subject to SEC and CFTC regulations on investment of customer funds. Permissible investment vehicles include bank deposits and a variety of top-rated government securities and related instruments. IB’s effective investment policy is more stringent than this, reflecting our risk-averse philosophy.

Strength and Security Facts

-Interactive Brokers Group currently holds $3 billion in equity capital.
-The affiliates of Interactive Brokers Group execute 14% of the world's equity options and 19.2% of US options.
-Group affiliates execute over 700,000 trades per day.
-Group affiliates hold memberships on over 70 exchanges, market centers, and clearing corporations around the world.
-Interactive Brokers Group has been in the trading business for 30 years.
-Interactive Brokers Group has always been at the forefront of trading innovation, starting with the invention of the first floor-based handheld computer in 1983.
-Interactive Brokers Group is rated Investment Grade by S&P.
-Interactive Brokers customers are protected by $30 million in securities account protection.

To clarify

1. Our demo is on line and can be used by accessing our home page www.interactivebrokers.co.uk Moreover, you do not have to provide us with your details before trying it out.

2. Our costs

a) $5,000 minimum deposit
b) $10 minimum brokerage fee, per month
c) Market data fees vary per exchange e.g., $10 per month for US real time feeds which include stocks, futures, options, bonds, ETF's and forex. If you execute over $30 worth of brokerage fees per months we waive this $10 fee.
d) Brokerage fees vary per exchange and venue e.g., $0.005 per US share (Smart Order Routing) all in; $0.15 to 0.75 per US options contract (Smart Order Routing) all in; GBP 6.00 per UK stock transaction (Smart Order Routing) =< GBP 50,000 in transaction value; Stamp duty is applicable for purchases. You can find more about other brokerage fees in our website www.interactivebrokers.co.uk

Correcting myself.

Recently the account opening amount has been 5,000 usd. It has recently risen to 10,000 usd.

cu2,

It depends on what you want to trade. If it is US stocks you want to trade on an intra-day basis then you need $25K if not and it is some other instrument then it is as others have said.

Paul

Correcting myself.

Recently the account opening amount has been 5,000 usd. It has recently risen to 10,000 usd.

Well noticed, because not every page is updated on IB's site. And as per post #787, it seems that not everybody is aware of it.

As a sideways comment, I'm surprised they have lowered margins lately while volatility has been extreme. They raised margins in August but even then the daily swings were not as wide as what we've seen last weeks. Anyway, I'm not complaining :)

Sorry about my english

Must admit my english cant be all that good as my question hasn't been aswered yet, I have been Iiving in Germany for many years now so that has a lot to do with it.
So I'II put it another way. Also direct answer from IB would appreciated, thank you.

Transfering funds to an account!!!
What do IB charge when tranfering Euros from Germany to an IB account?

I cannot say for definite but based on what it costs others the it is probably nothing.

Paul

ib

hello,

im a professional forex trader currently trading with MF Global Singapore, i trade 4 currency pairs from 11pm to 11am new york times....i trade the eur/jpy, gbp/usd, gbp/jpy and aud/jpy pairs....i get great spreads on these pairs with MF Global and lightning fast executions on there Currenex platform however MF charges me 1 pip commission per roundtrip of 100K traded which i find a little expensive....my question is, what are IB's average spreads during the times that i trade and commissions?? i do not trade the news, maybe someone can send me a snapshot during the eur session and let me see the spreads for the 4 pairs that i trade...also, is anyone here using IdealPro?? and if so, what are there executions like?? lots of slippage?? or excellent fills and lightning fast executions?? thanks for your help guys..

my question is, what are IB's average spreads

This is the wrong question to be asking in my view. IB do not charge any spread at all as they charge a commission. However, they will reflect what the actual interbank bid and ask are at any given time and this could, in theory, be any value at all. I have seen this value be as low as 0 and as high as 3 pips although this is rare. I have found IDEALPRO to be instant in fills but you can sometimes get slippage so I suggest using limit orders. I missed a very lucrative 40 pip move on a news trade this week by fractions of a second because of this but it is not something that happens too often to me.

Paul

ib

actually IB does have a spread, although its a floating spread, its still there....as for the commission per 100K i dont know what that is..

Transfering funds to an account!!!
What do IB charge when tranfering Euros from Germany to an IB account?

I've transferred money into an IB account. I've never been charged for that and I presume you're talking about transferring euro's to a euro denominated account (you don't say)

Re the spreads. They do vary depending on what's being bid and offered and can be as low as half a tick on some. I might set it up and snap it during the european session Monday. I trade eur.jpy during the asian session and spreads are typically 4 half ticks but drop to 3 and sometimes 2 at times for a short while.

Commission is 0.2*bp (I think, but is absolutely clear in the charges area of the website) with a minimum of 2.50 each way.

So, is minimum amount 5000 or $10000??? Opening account page claims 5000 as well as IB representative here, but info page on the IB website says 10000. Which on is right?:?:

So, is minimum amount 5000 or $10000??? Opening account page claims 5000 as well as IB representative here, but info page on the IB website says 10000. Which on is right?:?:

10k is currently required as I asked an IB CSR.