Best Thread Interactive Brokers

is there a way to automate it, for example buy/sell on the crossing of an MA?

in the tws is there a quicker way to buy and sell then having to right click on the instrument, then click on T on the main screen, then hitting the trasmit button on the window pops up? All seems a bit long winded to me, especially when you wanna get filled quickly.....
Kevin

Look at the following in the user manual:
- assign hotkeys
- create instaneous transmission
- assign mouse shortcuts
- modify rapid order entry settings

All of these can be used to speed up order entry and transmission of orders

Charlton

is there a way to automate it, for example buy/sell on the crossing of an MA?
There is an alerts function that allows you to trigger orders if certain conditions are met. HOWEVER crossing of an MA is not one of them.

One way of doing this is via an external programme such as a charting programme. Several of these can pass information to/from TWS via the application programming interface (API). There is a separate TWS API manual on the IB site and you could try experimenting in your paper account. One of the APIs is to excel so you might be able to use that to calculate the MA cross and generate an order, if your charting programme does not have an API with TWS.

Charlton

Hi i am opening up a futures account with ib but there customer service is crap iv asked some quetions 3 days ago and still no reply so maybe you guys can help!
The ftse future cost £3.40 a round turn. Is that a flat rate or does it multiply by the number of contracts bought and sold?

Hi i am opening up a futures account with ib but there customer service is crap iv asked some quetions 3 days ago and still no reply so maybe you guys can help!
The ftse future cost £3.40 a round turn. Is that a flat rate or does it multiply by the number of contracts bought and sold?

That's the price per contract bought/sold. So if you sell 10 lots you are going to pay $34 in total for roundtrips.

thanks thats what i thought. I new to the futures seen, im an equity trader. One more quetion if you dont mind. What exchanges do need for the ftse and dax futures?
Exact names if possible.
Thanks again

Options and margining questions

I've got a few questions and frankly this thread is too long to read through to see if they have been answered already.

Firstly when trading options are spreads strategies offset against each other for margin requirements?

Why would the Dax and Euro Stoxx 50 go to overnight margining at 18.15 (or something similar) when they are open till 9 pm (London time)?

How does your margining work for writing options work?

Is cross margining taken into account for trading cross equity index future spreads intra day and overnight?

To add to that last question

How would margining for synthetic options be taken into account? I.e. would I get margined for the future and the option?

When hedging/rehedging an options position with underlying or future what is the margining scenario?

thanks

right i looked at the websites posted above, but none of them offer what i'm looking for. I literally just want to be able to press a buy/sell button ONCE and press a close position button ONCE. All this right click, select sell from a menu, wait for the transmit box to pop, then clicking on transmit crap is really really getting on my nerves. In my last trade i only made 60pts when i should of made around 90. I would of got 90 if i could of closed the position when i wanted to instead having to go through all the dam stages!

Also is it possible to add other indicators to the chats in the TWS as my charting software doesn't support a couple of the markets that i want to do, and the graphs in TWS don't have any of the indicators i use

I can help!
Open the book trader
right click over buttons and select configure
use these settings:
select action=buy
ORDER
action=buy
size=
ordertype=market
then click ok and apply then ok. repeat for the sell.
ps. you can type the name of the buttonunder button appearence.

one more thing you can add as many buttons as you need.
buy/sell/close position and reverse position.
let me know if this has helped?
Jay

sorry just read the last part of you post!
personaly i think tws charting is a load of sh*t
I use ninja trader for charts. Its free for charting purposes, but to place orders you have to pay for the full version which you really dont need. Youl have to download the api version of tws and route the data to the ninja platform. Let me know wat indicator you need and ill have a look to see if it has it?

Do IB have a borrowing desk/allow short selling of stocks?

I've got a few questions and frankly this thread is too long to read through to see if they have been answered already.

Firstly when trading options are spreads strategies offset against each other for margin requirements?

Why would the Dax and Euro Stoxx 50 go to overnight margining at 18.15 (or something similar) when they are open till 9 pm (London time)?

How does your margining work for writing options work?

Is cross margining taken into account for trading cross equity index future spreads intra day and overnight?

How would margining for synthetic options be taken into account? I.e. would I get margined for the future and the option?

When hedging/rehedging an options position with underlying or future what is the margining scenario?

thanks

Not asking anyone specific, just thought this was the right place to post questions relating to IB.

Do IB have a borrowing desk/allow short selling of stocks?

thanks

I haven't set up an account, was looking into a few online brokers that I could trade options with. These guys seemed to be the best so looking to have a few questions answered before setting an account up.

ok if you like just write down the question(s) as if you were asking them and ill go on to my account and send it you them in live chat.
What options do you trade?