IG Index Thread

minx said:
If its a thin mkt then expect slippage, if its Vodafone, Bund, EuroStoxx, Schatz, Bobl, Euribor, etc then you're fine 99.99% of the time.

This was not a thin market. It was GBP, USD Forex

The bottom line is whether spreadbetting manipulation, whether by IG or anybody else, can be absorbed by whichever trading method you are using, and the profits you make outweigh the underhand tactics. And your spreadbetting profits outweigh the benefits of trading using direct access.

Longer time frame trading is more likely to reduce the effects of price manipulation. Day trading less so.

As for spreadbetting companies being held to account by the FSA or anyone else, don't hold your breath

Today I tried to open a bet on a stock via my controlled risk account and was told that I couldn't do it as "it was unavailable for controlled risk bets". I'd never had that happen before, so I fired an email off to IG. I had a reply within 10 minute explaining that the reason was there were already too many controlled risk bets open on that particular stock, and as IG carry the risk they limit it. Apparently they are reviewed on a daily basis.

Bit miffed as it had been on my watchlist for a while, and when I finally got a good buying opportunity I was told to **** off! If they had an icon on the watchlist signifying that bets were off for the day I would feel less annoyed.

Ho Hum.... Anybody else had this happen to them?

Riverland said:
Today I tried to open a bet on a stock via my controlled risk account and was told that I couldn't do it as "it was unavailable for controlled risk bets". I'd never had that happen before, so I fired an email off to IG. I had a reply within 10 minute explaining that the reason was there were already too many controlled risk bets open on that particular stock, and as IG carry the risk they limit it. Apparently they are reviewed on a daily basis.

Bit miffed as it had been on my watchlist for a while, and when I finally got a good buying opportunity I was told to **** off! If they had an icon on the watchlist signifying that bets were off for the day I would feel less annoyed.

Ho Hum.... Anybody else had this happen to them?

Riverman -what was the stock ?- I imagine it was small cap. Was it really because too many trades had been placed or just that they do not and will not accept controlled risk on that stock?

It probably was a small cap since they do not feel they can hedge their existing positions any further - but you are right to feel annoyed. The least they can do, as you suggest, is to suspend the deal function for new positions to forewarn you.

Yes it was a small cap CCT - Character group. But I have made plenty of CR trades with smaller and less liquid companies than CCT. In the email they specifically said that CCT was over it's limit.

However I have no idea how they quantify this, and I assume different stocks have different limits. I don't consider CCT as being particularly risky at the moment. They have issued enough statements about being ahead of market expectations and it's p/e is fairly low.

For the moment I'm inclined to believe them. But was interested in other customer's experiences.

I also asked them if each customer has an accumulative limit on a stock (I regularly add to winners), but they were vague about this. If anyone has any experience of this I would also be interested.

At least you got a prompt reply, Riverland. I've e-mailed them three times and had no reponse, then sent a letter, which they also seem to be ignoring. Apparently they just don't need customers.

dan921 said:
Hi guys
I've been trading with IG for a few months now with good results. At first I was getting a lot of "sorry the price has moved" So I upgraded my computer and found that this solved the problem. I only trade major news events in forex, my average trade lasts around 10 - 30 seconds. So far I've had no problems getting in and out of the market although the spread on the cable widens from 3 to 10 pips at news time, I don't mind so long as I get a good entry and most company's do the same at news time. like fxwinner22 I would like to find out at what point if any do they put you on manual trades. At the moment I'm at £25 a pip but I want to keep upping it. is anyone trading large amounts without problems?

Nice to find a forum that talks abouts SB companies most only talk about brokers.
Dan
Hi Dan, you seem to be very thin on other threads, orrrr, sorry maybe your manager didn't allow you any more time????? : Sorry but reading about your 30s trades on the news and just being a newbie confused me a bit. Whishing you many such profitable trades. :D :cheesy:

Last edited:
Another question on spreadbetting

Hi, I do not spreadbet yet, although I plan too. I just need to do some more homework. One question if some one would`nt mind answering is- Do the spreadbetting companies offer good quality realtime price data. Or do you have to pick -up real time data feed else where?

P.s this is the first time I`ve used this site and board so apologies for any mistakes etc.

lnav said:
Hi, I do not spreadbet yet, although I plan too. I just need to do some more homework. One question if some one would`nt mind answering is- Do the spreadbetting companies offer good quality realtime price data. Or do you have to pick -up real time data feed else where?

In the case of igindex (and all others I suspect) the answer is yes. You effectively build up a watchlist of the markets you wish to bet on. The watchlist shows you the real time prices being offered for buy, sell +/- on day etc

Sometimes the price may not exactly match the underlying market, although in my experience IG are always pretty close. If you use quarterly bets the prices drift further away from the daily price as the spread increases to incorporate a financing charge. The additional spread or charge that IG adds to any trade is shown when you click on the deal button in the watchlist.

Cheers

Riverland said:
In the case of igindex (and all others I suspect) the answer is yes. You effectively build up a watchlist of the markets you wish to bet on. The watchlist shows you the real time prices being offered for buy, sell +/- on day etc

Sometimes the price may not exactly match the underlying market, although in my experience IG are always pretty close. If you use quarterly bets the prices drift further away from the daily price as the spread increases to incorporate a financing charge. The additional spread or charge that IG adds to any trade is shown when you click on the deal button in the watchlist.
Thanks for your reply, this is the first time I`ve used the board.(to be honest I rarely post on any boards) I been checking for replies since I posted, I was starting to think I had done something wrong i.e posted incorrectly or in the wrong place.

I was looking for a another web browser and found Opera and Firefox. Have been using Explorer 7 but cant have an automatic reload page option which seems just such a simple thing to do for Microsoft so why cant they do it. Have looked on the Web for one and they cost.
Tried using Igindex with Opera and my browser just freezes every time. Do not know what the problem is at all so if anyone has any ideas that would be great. The other think with Opera is that when typing it seems to take a few seconds every so often for your text to show up. Opera has such an easy reload option and the layout is so much better but there is just a few niggly bits to it.
I have bt Yahoo broadband (The Yahoo bit is awfull so a big minus for Bt for choosing Yahoo) and was using Explorer 7 from them. I did find a reload tool but its not very good as it does not save your option so have to state you reload preferences every time you reload your page.
Any help with this would be great. Its a shame that IGindex does not work with it but hopefully it might just be a tweak my end.

IG, Opera, other browsers and tech stuff

ashwoka said:
I was looking for a another web browser and found Opera and Firefox. ...........
Tried using Igindex with Opera and my browser just freezes every time. Do not know what the problem is at all so if anyone has any ideas that would be great.......The other think with Opera is that when typing it seems to take a few seconds every so often for your text to show up.

When I started using IG Index last summer with Opera (my default browser), I actually got an e-mail from them saying something to the effect that I had tried to log in with an unsupported browser. As far as I know they still do not support Opera, and several other spreadbetting sites also do not. This is not Opera's fault. Different browsers interpret HTML code in different ways, and some web designers do not bother making their pages suitable for anything other than Internet Explorer, Firefox, and whatever Macs use. Opera has always tried to be standards-compliant.

Usually text shows up fine in Opera - occasional delays may be due to your PC taking time over other things. IGs new charts seem to take longer to open than the old ones and can slow things down on my machine (P800 processor, 384Mb RAM, broadband connection).

I usually have three sites open at once, as I use IG's charts and sometimes trade gold with them, but only have a controlled risk account so need the lower spreads offered by Capitalspreads and Worldspreads for some trades (I manage to lose money on all of them!)

But I found early on that IE would crash if I had IG and another site open at the same time - I think this was an error caused by Flash, which all these sites use to display graphics etc. So I now also have Firefox open for the other two sites. After a while things slow down a bit - these sites and/or Firefox use up a lot of my memory.

Is anyone else having problems using IG with Firefox? I'm also not having much luck loading the tick charts for the Nikkei using IE. Oh ffs!

I use SAFARI on Mac- sometimes it works ok,but it's very amateurish-why don't they all adopt the standard of MetaTrader with a bulletproof downloadable platform?

fibonelli said:
Is anyone else having problems using IG with Firefox? I'm also not having much luck loading the tick charts for the Nikkei using IE. Oh ffs!

I see IG have gone back to the old charts today - good - because the new ones didn't work through my proxy. I have a ton of problems using IG through firefox - as soon as I enter a trade or change a stop the whole thing hangs.

Up till recently I was having the same issue on IE too - I think they may have fixed that now though.

I think IG have one of the best platforms - but the stability is definitely the worst in my opinion.

Have any of you tried IG's mini CFD's or full size CFD's ?
Maybe they might suit you better.

I use Deepnet in preference to Firefox, Opera and obviously IE - it is the best browser I have used for my needs.

I am glad IG have dropped the new, very memory intensive charts - I shall log in now to have a look

Yep, looks like they had a bit of an update a few days ago.

There's a new check box that allows you to aggregates your open positions if you have mutiple positions of the same stock and period. Works quite nicely.

Anybody noticed anything else of interest?