How To Think Correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
DBP

By gambling I mean risking money hoping to gain money where the future outcome is unknown. I can't really describe "trading" as anything other than the above.

Even though you pay commission / slippage and can lever up, you still shouldn't be able to lose more than 100% of your account. The only exception to this is shorting options.

Profitaker said:
DBP

By gambling I mean risking money hoping to gain money where the future outcome is unknown. I can't really describe "trading" as anything other than the above.

Even though you pay commission / slippage and can lever up, you still shouldn't be able to lose more than 100% of your account. The only exception to this is shorting options.
When you deserve a brickbat you get one delivered...but when you make a statement like this one it deserves to be put in a frame and hung on the wall in the office.:cheesy: ...and copies made and sent to absent friends.

Splitlink said:
LOL So you have decided to to call yourself a vendor? The flak getting heavy?

Split

:cheesy: No, that was rossored's decision. Apparently the fact that I wrote a book makes me a vendor. Which is fine. As always, the preview is free, and I can now at least put the website link back below my name.

But, never fear, Split; I'll be as loveable and cuddly as always. :eek:

Db

Profitaker said:
So frame it then SOC :)
Yes it is.................. marvellous.................simply..............marvellous.:cheesy: ...................you have no idea how marvellous it really is.:cheesy: ....could almost be turned into a greeting card....

Soc

Since you have given us hours upon hours and entertainment, I'm humbled that I can in some small way, repay you LOL

Now go frame it !

Poll result

Profitaker said:
DBP

We took a vote on your statement above:

Verdict-
http://www.allfunnystuff.com/content.php?type=commented&iid=402

Last edited:
Profitaker said:
Soc

Since you have given us hours upon hours and entertainment, I'm humbled that I can in some small way, repay you LOL

Now go frame it !
You have got it the wrong way round again....it is you lot that entertain me day in and day out, like a free ticket to the Panto.....24/7....though you may think the opposite of course.

Occasionally a statement of this quality is an additional bonus..like a sort of trophy..:cheesy:

I am also including it in a Xmas greeting I am sending your old friend Bulldozer as I am certain he will recognise the comic irony and appreciate it immensely..:cheesy: Compliments of the Season, by the way.:LOL:

dbphoenix said:
:cheesy: No, that was rossored's decision. Apparently the fact that I wrote a book makes me a vendor. Which is fine. As always, the preview is free, and I can now at least put the website link back below my name.

But, never fear, Split; I'll be as loveable and cuddly as always. :eek:

Db
Writing a book does not make you a vendor...it makes you a great loominary...that is what it does....and attracts the amiration....of....lesser loominaries....but loominaries nonetheless.:cheesy:

If you keep trying....who knows...you may even be nominated for the Nobel Prize for Laterature.:cheesy: ( Laterature = Hindsight Reading Matter )

Profitaker said:
DBP

Pro.

"The only exception to this is shorting options."

What do you mean by the above quote?

orion69 said:
Pro.

Ha Ha Ha, that is exactly part of the point.

We await his learned explanation ...with bated breath...:LOL:

orion69 said:
Pro.

In selling short traded options, you are taking on unlimited risk. Although the clearing house takes a premium from you as margin, if the market were to move more than that estimated possible by clearing and implied volatility spike then you could find your account wiped out , and then some. The crash of '87 saw many a naked Put seller go bankrupt....personally.

The same could possibly hold true with CFD or similar instrument, except these are margined real-time whereas options are marked-to-market only EOD. Also no possibility of implied Vol spiking.

Soc, thank you for your valuable contribution, as usual

Profitaker said:
Is it possibly to filter a "poster" on this website ?

You can put him on an Ignore list. However, if his posts are quoted by someone else, you're faced with it anyway.

Db

Profitaker said:
DBP

Pro.

Your post seem to imply that shorting options is less risk than futures or spread betting trades.

Can you clarify please? :rolleyes:

orion69 said:
Pro.

Your post seem to imply that shorting options is less risk than futures or spread betting trades.

Can you clarify please? :rolleyes:

I don't see why you think I implied that, but if I did it certainly wasn't my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.