How long do you take to double your account?

lbranjord

According to historical results. How long has it taken (individually) to double your trading account?

Note - Looking for historical results, not "ok so I made 8% this month so if I multiply that by..." kind of answers. Should be interesting!

3 months
6 months
1 year
2 years
Never have yet

I dont think Mr Charts is being terribly realistic as I am sure he is running a highly leveraged account. As do most, it kind of blows all these stats out the window.

my objective is to double my account around every 2 years. So far I'm way ahead of that, my account is up around 6 times since 2+ years ago... of course most of this is biased due to the magnificent abnormal years we've had in 2008 and 2009... i don't expect to maintain this kind of returns so I'll be happy for a 40% year return on the long term. I'm a mid-term / position trader so maybe it's not the best gauge to compare to most people around here that seem to be day traders

I dont think Mr Charts is being terribly realistic as I am sure he is running a highly leveraged account. As do most, it kind of blows all these stats out the window.

Wow did that go over your head.

Why would running a high leverage account blow stats out the window? If you can trade using leverage successfully over a long time your stats are still as valid.

Wow did that go over your head.

Why would running a high leverage account blow stats out the window? If you can trade using leverage successfully over a long time your stats are still as valid.

I think you are confusing trading and investing so the stats are just not comparable.

I think you are confusing trading and investing so the stats are just not comparable.

At no point was investing mentioned in the first post. Besides, they're one and the same to me. It's all about ROI at the end of it, but that's another topic.

To "double one's account in minutes" as one poster (hopefully jokingly) stated would cause anyone to become a billionaire within due time. To the newer traders reading this thread, these kind of returns only happen with high leverage, and the shear randomness of the market on short time frames would make the probability of losing all your money much larger. Not to mention that the spreads take up a higher percentage of your profit size when you are trying to catch smaller moves on the shorter time frames.

I'm happy with a 30% return each year, which is not to say that some years aren't in the higher double digits. Many traders have better performance than I do, but they also are prepared to risk more than me. Just curious, what kind of returns are people looking for? Please keep it serious (no 700% per minute returns).

Kris

Depends on the size of the account

My goal in FOREX is to triple my account annually and to risk 1-3% a trade. I really want consistency more than quantity. Also, my goal is to pay my broker as little as possible by placing only one or two trades a day. I hate fees!

With Dividend stocks (which are more for leisure) I have numbers similar to what you stated. I go for 20% annually, but managed to beat that the last few years.

moe,

Although I admire your discipline for keeping your systems on demo for so long, you won't really know what it can produce without a live forward test.

If it was my system I would be inclined to stick £200 and trade it on micro stakes to see how well it does otherwise its all boll**** showboating.

I'm happy with a 30% return each year, which is not to say that some years aren't in the higher double digits. Many traders have better performance than I do, but they also are prepared to risk more than me. Just curious, what kind of returns are people looking for? Please keep it serious (no 700% per minute returns).

Kris

In all seriousness for intraday trading with a 1% risk per trade i target 20% a month as a minimum, some months will be better some worse.

moe,

Although I admire your discipline for keeping your systems on demo for so long, you won't really know what it can produce without a live forward test.

If it was my system I would be inclined to stick £200 and trade it on micro stakes to see how well it does otherwise its all boll**** showboating.

I traded my system live on microlots. After two months of backtest and one (seperate month) of forward tests I'm trading it. Jan-Mar this year are the only results I tested so lets hope the rest of the year is a carbon copy of them lol.

Thanks guys :smart:

In all seriousness for intraday trading with a 1% risk per trade i target 20% a month as a minimum, some months will be better some worse.

2% risk per trade, total risk of no more than 10% at any given time, 25% target per month 50K combineed accounts, drawdown hasn't exceeded 4% for a long time...I posted this link on another thread yesterday, I don't agree with all of the sentiment written but liked the how the patience versus greed dilemma can be dealt with through organic compounding...
gotta go, signals :clap: will post link later...;)

moe,

i was just giving advice, you should test your system and how you plan on trading it before going live, i always test my systems before going live, i will go live with both systems with 2 diffrent account because one is high risk and the other is mediem risk. i never use real money when i just build a system, always make sure it's working before blowing real money. :smart: im not here to show boat, just giving an example.

it all depends on how much your willing to risk on a trade, every system should have a homerun trade this is a set-up where you know will win everytime, this is the best time to load up on that trade, this has gotten me out of many bad trades. good luck. forex is never easy i been making a living off of forex since 2004 after blowing over 10 accounts, you live and learn, so never give up. god bless

i was just giving advice, you should test your system and how you plan on trading it before going live, i always test my systems before going live, i will go live with both systems with 2 diffrent account because one is high risk and the other is mediem risk. i never use real money when i just build a system, always make sure it's working before blowing real money. :smart: im not here to show boat, just giving an example.

Moe - you only ever show your links to your results as if you are trying to advertise. You never show a chart of your trades with entries or exits and reasons for same.There is no point in you posting your demo trades or any other trade if you simply showboat rather than show charts. You never show examples of trades via charts. You fail to understand that simply talking about trading is only that. It's simple - if you make a statement then back it up with evidence not empty rhetoric.:rolleyes:

Moe - you only ever show your links to your results as if you are trying to advertise. You never show a chart of your trades with entries or exits and reasons for same.There is no point in you posting your demo trades or any other trade if you simply showboat rather than show charts. You never show examples of trades via charts. You fail to understand that simply talking about trading is only that. It's simple - if you make a statement then back it up with evidence not empty rhetoric.:rolleyes:

One day, down the road, I'm going to withrdraw my whole account and stack a billion USD into a giant briefcase and screenshot it. Then T2W will know, Lbranjord's the king of trading.

But for right now, I have to continue trading in my soul every day at 9:00AM and getting it back at 5:00PM. Information Technology is sweet, but not that sweet lol.