How long before you toss away your strategy ?

maby8

47 8
I think the answer will vary a bit from one trader to another, in terms of his persistence and willingness to adapt and change as required. However if you see that the strategy adopted does not seem to be working out well it is best to set a limit and opt for something new.

CavaliereVerde

Experienced member
1,678 2,175
Because it makes sense and has profitable backtests made by me.
Without backtesting one year of profitable demo would make sense.

ffsear

2,260 513
Because it makes sense and has profitable backtests made by me.
Without backtesting one year of profitable demo would make sense.

I'd say a year is probably excessive for a more discretionary system that can't be backtested. Best to throw a small amout of money at it (that you can afford to lose) to see how you react with real money.

LuckyMac

77 19
Very tough question as you have to make sure that you have followed it fully and there is no human error but if you have 100 trades and are not profitable its a concern

wmram

62 21
If it's not scalable and sustainable, toss it.

hatemypips

Established member
698 61
Hi!
I have being testing out a couple of strategies and i get that one should let their system run for a while so that the results are not just noise or chance but the merits of your strategy (like tossing a coin 10 time and getting 9 tails , which doss not mean that the coin is not 50/50) but how can you know that its a failing system, how long do you have to stick to it . to know objectively that it dose not preform as you wish (hope this makes sense ).
If after 100-150 trades I see that it can't make money I start to look for something else. Also I check transaction costs to see if I get slippage of wide spreads too often as a criteria that the strategy is not usable.

The Erect Trader

72 70
FullSizeRender-24-08-21-09-07.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock