How good are you at trading - just be honest

I think making money on the markets is one of the hardest jobs out there (mentally of course), but whats the alternative? Whats the point of working hard at a job, saving up 10k and letting it rot in the bank for a measly .5% ?
My aim was only to beat the damm banks, they gave me 13p interest this month on 15k !!
If you spend some time, start very small and stick to some basic rules, you'll be OK, even if you dont make a living, you can still make a few grand a year to cover your car insurance, TV license, home insurance etc etc

I'm getting there. Making a few pips a week but not making a loss. hewhodareswins has a good point. with such rubbish returns from a savings account making money from investing seems like a good option

I think making money on the markets is one of the hardest jobs out there (mentally of course), but whats the alternative? Whats the point of working hard at a job, saving up 10k and letting it rot in the bank for a measly .5% ?
My aim was only to beat the damm banks, they gave me 13p interest this month on 15k !!
If you spend some time, start very small and stick to some basic rules, you'll be OK, even if you dont make a living, you can still make a few grand a year to cover your car insurance, TV license, home insurance etc etc

I still have not shouted bingo with all the strength I wanted, but I'm on the right track in winnings (y)

I checked my account at the weekend to see I was 19% up on the month. This was all from spreadbetting long FTSE250 shares, no intra-day trades.

Fingers crossed.

Jason101 said back sometime last year: "I am a very good and very profitable trader when I am extremely disciplined. BUT just one slip in discipline in any area and I am utterly worse than useless."

Pretty much agree to this. Am consistently profitable when I stick to the rules and have learned that if I even WANT to go off-road the I might as well stop right then. Too many times it's cost me dear so i've got to say that my biggest problem with profitability is not the markets, it's me.....

Jason101 said back sometime last year: "I am a very good and very profitable trader when I am extremely disciplined. BUT just one slip in discipline in any area and I am utterly worse than useless."

Pretty much agree to this. Am consistently profitable when I stick to the rules and have learned that if I even WANT to go off-road the I might as well stop right then. Too many times it's cost me dear so i've got to say that my biggest problem with profitability is not the markets, it's me.....

Wise words. How many times have we heard (or said to ourselves), such and such was a good buy but then the market went against me. No, no no - the market doesn't go against anyone, it doesn't care about anyone. The real fault is failing to plan for what the market might do. You can't know what the market will do, but you have to know what you will do when it does.

I don't know if our trading apply...Me and my friend trade on sports exchanges. Lost money for the 1st 2 years of playing,have made profit for 5 years now part-time, out of that we have now traded full-time for the last 3 months.
We lost a couple of hundred € in the first 2 years, which might not sound alot...but it was all we had at that time :)

I'm pretty self-critical and to be honest I've never considered myself a good trader, despite the fact that sometimes I can make a couple of hundred bucks. But it's not an indicator.

I consider myself quite a mediocre trader. I don't have a stable trading system and I don't always manage to profit, so there is room for improvement :)

You can never be good enough as a trader ......as soon as you think you are then it’s all downhill.....

Most of the time I can be pretty good and then like most of us have a blow up day. Very frustrating losing a months profits in one day. I need to master my psychology to be a good trader and that is what i am working on now.

Most of the time I can be pretty good and then like most of us have a blow up day. Very frustrating losing a months profits in one day. I need to master my psychology to be a good trader and that is what i am working on now.

Perhaps Amazon should stock hair shirts to be worn when traders do daft moves ?

:)

Actually, you need a system... that you believe in (back tested for decades) and to follow it to the dot (maybe insert some psychology here to not override the system)...

Actually, you need a system... that you believe in (back tested for decades) and to follow it to the dot (maybe insert some psychology here to not override the system)...

A good trader can beat a system. I use a couple of automated systems in my portfolio, not developed by me however.

A good trader can beat a system. I use a couple of automated systems in my portfolio, not developed by me however.

We agree to disagree on that one... good trader needs a system (automated or not) to be constantly successful...

We agree to disagree on that one... good trader needs a system (automated or not) to be constantly successful...

System will beat you with a bigger account because it can trade more markets, however, if you think computers especially retail systems are even close to human pattern recognition or perception of a good trader then you are wrong. There have been studies done on this which show human pattern recognition is far beyond what even a complex computer can currently perform.

System will beat you with a bigger account because it can trade more markets, however, if you think computers especially retail systems are even close to human pattern recognition or perception of a good trader then you are wrong. There have been studies done on this which show human pattern recognition is far beyond what even a complex computer can currently perform.

What are you smoking? Especially for patern recognition, a computer will beat you every time...

What are you smoking? Especially for patern recognition, a computer will beat you every time...

You sound like a programmer and not a trader. Lol the amount of times I heard computer guys act like they can beat a solid trader with years and years of experience.

I presume you use machine learning or other bull**** optimisation to curve fit your systems.

If you think a machine can beat a human at patterns recognition then you are an idiot. Human being can process far more info than your ****ty moving average optimised system.