How good are you at trading - just be honest

Ok so i started trading about 4-5 years ago, i was in a comfortable job where day trading from my desk would not be questioned so i started to trade but ended up just throwing money in to the market with no idea what i'm doing on IG index wasting £100's each week gambling. Anyway just from sheer screen time and learning from idiotic mistakes, i started to learn... one thing that was a god send; I randomly met a german guy on skype who had a lot of experience and he became my trading teacher (for free) he's a top guy... i learned to trade breakouts and had some good success on the Dax, Dow Jones and Eur/USD. After a while i became pretty good at day trading, i became profitable, if anyone seen the start of my 1st journal i was having a very high % of successful trades... but despite doing well for a while i crashed and burned and i'm less than break even this year, actually several grand down, in fact i just blown a futures account and i'm back to IG.

So i'm back to being non profitable, however I WILL NOT BE BEATEN BY THE MARKETS.

So, how's things going for you, what do you trade, what's your style and how long you've been trading?

p.s if you'd like to include your current monthly % of gains losses, that would be intersting :)

Futures, fully systematic, mostly trend following with holding periods averaging a few weeks.

Been trading for myself for about a year. Before that institutionally for 10 years.

I'd expect to make about 15% a year (http://qoppac.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/simulating-my-futures-system.html).

Last year though was exceptional due to favourable market conditions up 57% (http://qoppac.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/futures-trading-performance-year-one.html). If you click through you'll see monthly gains and losses about two thirds of the way down.

I feel I may be in the top 5 In the USA.

148% gain in 16 trading days, 49 wins 0 loses

Real Money, My snowball is growing, and just about to freefall down the hill, and Im ready!!

Last 100 trades: profitable= 70, even= 4, loser= 26. Automated. I'm just starting to recover for all my years losing.

It's always advisable to never risk more then %2 of your whole Capital on each trade you execute so that you will have plenty of opportunity to trade Forex Market.

I think I am a good trader, good discipline, solid risk management understanding.
Though I stopped trading shortly after I started. I don't believe there is an edge in the markets for a retail trader.
I followed many different traders on Twitter who claimed to make large amount of money daytrading. I studied them in hopes to learn more about how they trade. But actually, I saw several patterns in what all of them were doing and I came to the conclusion that not a single person is telling the truth about their trading results.

I think I am a good trader, good discipline, solid risk management understanding.
Though I stopped trading shortly after I started. I don't believe there is an edge in the markets for a retail trader.
I followed many different traders on Twitter who claimed to make large amount of money daytrading. I studied them in hopes to learn more about how they trade. But actually, I saw several patterns in what all of them were doing and I came to the conclusion that not a single person is telling the truth about their trading results.

Chances are the one's that are shouting about it are trying to sell their krap or just Walter Mitty types who need some love and adulation ie the tweeter types, they've even been known to buy followers on ebay:cry:
If you're convinced that there is no chance of making money forget about it altogether and go and enjoy life as this **** can make you feel fuggin lousy at times.
I've seen a couple of guys over the years who I genuinely believe can make a worthy amount of money day trading, I've also seen a guy who was doing really well blow up and flip out.
It's not worth the hassle imho, even if you do make it!!!

Last edited:
. . . I've also seen a guy who was doing really well blow up, flip out and murder a loved one. . .
:cry: @dunitatlsatrodney - seriously?
If this is true, please give us some detail so that members can reflect on this tragedy and, hopefully, enable them to learn from it so that some good may come of it. If you're just a lulz merchant posting for a so called 'laugh' - then it's so not funny, and I urge you to delete your post - or ask the Mods to delete it for you if your time limit has expired.
Tim.

I am a very good and very profitable trader when I am extremely disciplined.
BUT just one slip in discipline in any area and I am utterly worse than useless.

:cry: @dunitatlsatrodney - seriously?
If this is true, please give us some detail so that members can reflect on this tragedy and, hopefully, enable them to learn from it so that some good may come of it. If you're just a lulz merchant posting for a so called 'laugh' - then it's so not funny, and I urge you to delete your post - or ask the Mods to delete it for you if your time limit has expired.
Tim.

Sadly it is true timsk, I know I can be a bit of a tw@ but not that much of one.
I won't expand on it and will shortly delete that part of my post, or a mod should if need be. Just for the record he wasn't uk based and was seemingly a decent enough gent I'm guessing trading pushed him over the edge which is the point I was trying to get across. People look at trading as a way to make money without knowing just where it can take you in life or the pressure it can put on family life and so on.

Up to this point in time I've managed to do well but the path I've taken leads me to tell the people who ask what and I do and then show an interest to stay well away from trading. Trading takes a lot more than It gives and in extreme cases it can be truly horrid.

This case was obviously much more publicised than the one I mentioned, sadly there are others I can think of too.http://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/jul/30/usgunviolence.usa3

It's just not worth it, that's the point I'm trying to make.

:)

Sadly it is true timsk, I know I can be a bit of a tw@ but not that much of one. . .
Hi dunitatlsatrodney,
Thanks for the explanation and for not taking offence at my post. Your comments are very valid and, in light of them, there's now no need that I can see to amend or delete your posts.
(y)
Tim.

I am a very good and very profitable trader when I am extremely disciplined.
BUT just one slip in discipline in any area and I am utterly worse than useless.

absolutely identify with Jason here ........and if you are doing well in a session the Discipline will slip even faster as you feel you can walk on water .....Human nature :whistling

Chances are the one's that are shouting about it are trying to sell their krap or just Walter Mitty types who need some love and adulation ie the tweeter types, they've even been known to buy followers on ebay:cry:
If you're convinced that there is no chance of making money forget about it altogether and go and enjoy life as this **** can make you feel fuggin lousy at times.
It's not worth the hassle imho, even if you do make it!!!

i must admit that i agree with this-very good post
i think that if you are very careful and selective and trade small you can either make a little or maybe break even.
But is it really worth it?
Is it worth the stress ?
As mentioned in my previous posts
lost 5k trading stocks(you can only buy these buggars)
made it all back plus about 400 spreadbetting on a 20k account using stops and trading fairly small-used no charts just feel.in the end i just thought the whole thing was too stressful.
simple method used-take a position and scale in if need be-you expect an outcome/movement-if it doesnt happen you are WRONG.You have a written plan with stops prior to entering.you scale out taking profits as you go-losses are stopped out-simples

Last edited:
Good posts on the stresses of trading even if one is winning.
That is why I am attempting to go the automation road. No stress.