Help ZoneLabs Problem

schoe

Hi. I've never run a firewall so decided this eveing to downloand and try the zonelabs pro software fifteen day free trial to see if I wanted to buy it.

After installing it I now get an error box saying validation failed as necessary root certificate missing.

I now can't uninstall it and have tried to install it over the top but the same thing happens and I can't uninstall any of them. To make matters worse i'm sure my PC has slowed down as a result and I keep losing my internet connection.

I've looked on the help page on Zonelabs website and it says the following.

' Some viruses can corrupt your system;'s root security certificates. To reinstall them, open up your windows control panel to ADD/REMOVE Programs, click on Windows Components and UNcheck the Root Certificates box then apply.

After they are removed go back and recheck that box then applay and they should be automatically downloaded and installed'

I've tried this but am running ME and can;'t find the windows components box to uncheck the root certificate tab.

Please help?

Use System Restore to take you back to before you installed ZA. Then run some online virus scans to check if you are infected.http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp
Some people have problems with Za. I'm using Kerio http://www.sunbelt-software.com/kerio.cfm There are plenty of free ones out there.

ps. Sygate is no longer free, but http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate ;)
also earlier versions of ZA are less cluttered if you want to persevere with it
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html (version 4.5.594.000)

Last edited:
Thanks Oatman much appreciated. I have managed to remove it. I just looked at Kerio doesn't appear to work on ME maybe that was the problem with Zonelab. hmm maybe I should carry on without a firewall its been ok in the past....

Regards Schoe.

Last edited:
schoe said:
Thanks Oatman much appreciated. I have managed to remove it. I just looked at Kerio doesn't appear to work on ME maybe that was the problem with Zonelab. hmm maybe I should carry on without a firewall its been ok in the past....

Regards Schoe.

I recently tried Zone Alarm after getting rid of McAfee on my second laptop, which is WIn 2000 Pro. It slowed down my machine considerably, it's very, very memory hungry. I've had Kerio Personal Firewall by Sunbelt for 7 days now and it's perfectly fine. It doesn't have anti-virus so I'm trying Avast 4.6 Home for this, which seems very, very good so far. (This product also has an array of really cool skins if you're that way inclined...)

However, I've had Bitdefender on my main laptop for a year now. I can't sing its praises highly enough. It also has anti-virus built in. It found viruses that had been missed by Norton (which in my opinion is crap). I'm not sure whether it will work on ME but you may want to have a look. It really is very, very good.

For Spyware, Malware I use Ad-Aware SE Plus and Ad-Watch SE Plus by Lavasoft on both machines. Again, this is an excellent product.

You say you don't currently have a firewall at all, and I sometimes wonder whether I need one, because Bitdefender so rarely has any alerts. Having said that, it reported a couple of potential attacks when I turned on the pc this morning, first time this has happened in many months. I suppose it gives me peace of mind.

You can't be too careful if you use your pc for trading, and thus can't afford any downtime!

:)

Hi bluetipex, Many thanks for the information. I was using AVG antivirus which has always been good so i'm doing a free trial of their paid version now which includes a firewall in it.

I've only just started using it but so far so good its even detected a virus and deleted it. If I don't get on with it I will have a look at the Bitdefender product. I also use adaware which seems good.

Many thanks again. Regards Schoe.

For Adware there are much better products than Adaware such as Spy Doctor which will find lots that Adaware misses.

JonnyT

bluetipex said:
It slowed down my machine considerably, it's very, very memory hungry.
hmm.. i find that rather surprising - looking down my list of taskmanager processes, ZoneAlarm is only taking up aroun 2mb of memory... not exactly taxing on a modern system, especially compared to IE taking up 70MB+

bluetipex said:
You say you don't currently have a firewall at all, and I sometimes wonder whether I need one, because Bitdefender so rarely has any alerts. Having said that, it reported a couple of potential attacks when I turned on the pc this morning, first time this has happened in many months. I suppose it gives me peace of mind.

To check and see if your firewall is doing its job properly, visit www.grc.com - they have some excellent online tools for making windows safer, and a whole section all about firewalls - check out the section entitled "shields up" where you can perform a port and vulnerability scan on your pc and connection - you might be surprised at what information you have on display for the world to see.

Arbitrageur said:
hmm.. i find that rather surprising - looking down my list of taskmanager processes, ZoneAlarm is only taking up aroun 2mb of memory... not exactly taxing on a modern system, especially compared to IE taking up 70MB+

To check and see if your firewall is doing its job properly, visit www.grc.com - they have some excellent online tools for making windows safer, and a whole section all about firewalls - check out the section entitled "shields up" where you can perform a port and vulnerability scan on your pc and connection - you might be surprised at what information you have on display for the world to see.

Thanks for that tip Arbitrageur. I just tried your qrc web site and got this result from my first test:

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

I'm very very pleased.!!!

Cheers.

Blue

cool - looks like your firewall is doing its job nicely.

forgot to mention, check the "LeakTest" on that site too - make sure your firewall protects you from unauthorised outbound traffic too.

Kerio will run on Me.
Did you run the Trendmicro scan?
It is not smart to run without a firewall. See this:http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=177100010
As for spyware etc., you should not rely on a single programme. Multi-layers are better.There are numerous spyware removers. Of the free ones, Ad-Aware and Spybot are most respected. Avoid these http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
For what it's worth, I use this combination: Firewall:Kerio, AV: AntiVir(auto update now). For Spy/Adware prevention and removal: Spybot, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and WinPatrol.
Cleaners:CrapCleaner,Disk Cleaner and MRU Blaster.
Also run some different online scans now and again.
All FREE :LOL:
No reason not to stay clean ;)

forgot one! Can you be certain which website you're visiting? http://www.spoofstick.com/

Last edited: