A good alternative for Sygate

clylbw

I have used Sygate's personal firewall and been pretty happy with it. However, the company was acquired by Symantec and all its personal firewall products were discontinued from November. I wonder where to find a good alternative.

I tried ZoneAlarm, but it refused to be installed in my machine. An error message appeared each time, saying an essential root certificate was probably missing. And I would very much prefer to avoid Symantec / Norton at all costs.

So, can anyone please recommend a good personal firewall, especially from self experience? Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
clylbw,

I have used both Norton and ZoneAlarm in the past but switched to a hardware firewall about 3 years ago. I have found this, together with AVG and regular visual scans of the log, perfectly adequate. The only time I have had problems was some time ago when an engineer from my ISP insisted I switched the firewall off whilst he performed some tests. Within 30 seconds I received a virus...... never been off since.. and never had a problem.

As far as I know, all modern ADSL/Cable routers/gateways provide such firewall capability...

I also use a router firewall and the standard WinXP firewall at present.

However, I've lots of experience with ZA and found often that installing under Safe Mode would bypass a lot of installation problems - have you tried this?

Installed ZA on my guinea pig PC, was problem free as far as I can tell, I did have to disable a component of avast as there is a known issue, but no biggee, all seems to be operating smoothly.

Ok further to the demise of Sygate, have found another possible contender. I must stress I have not tried this product, and know very little about it other that what is on their website, so once you have read that you will know as much as I do about it. I intend to continue runing Sygate on my 2 working machines for the time being.
http://www.filseclab.com/eng/products/firewall.htm

Many thanks roguetrader :). I also wish to continue with Sygate, but now it is discontinued and no longer updated, I am worried about its efficiency when faced with new threats.

And best seasonal wishes to you!!!!!!!!! :cheesy: