Health and Trading

Hi Quercus

the adventure playground that you have on your doorstep, must certainly beat anything that is available in the UK in terms of wilderness, altitude, reliable ski conditions etc. etc.
Think yourself lucky that you live on a clean and maybe underpopulated island/s, rather than an often polluted and overpopulated island like the UK.

I really do envy New Zealanders for their habitat ;)

But of course there isn't enough tarmac down here - it's all like Hobbiton and the Shire!
Cheers
Q

ps. How big an issue is the lack of tarmac on New Zealands roads. I read an article recently explaining that only x% of NZ's roads are surfaced. Do you literally drive on dirt-tracks? and is this much more of an issue on South Island than North Island?

Cheers

jtrader.

excellent book Glenn.. half man half biscuit ..would be the ans

Glenn said:
We're lucky where we live - lots of places to run. Wide canal towpath, old railway line, country paths , hilly and flat, hardly see any traffic.
Been a runner since 1980. Go out any time of day, any weather, fresh air and freedom - can't beat it imo.

Food etc - recommend "You are what you eat " and The Hay Diet. (books)
Glenn

Hi Glenn

also got the running bug several years ago and you are so right ..it really does provide wonderful all round exercise.. and as they say.. Running may not increase the years of your life but it certainly increases the life in your years ..
I've gone from jogging a bit faster than walking pace in order to 'find' the legs and wind, to full marathons half marathons and 10 k's through Runners world countrywide events guide ..It's back to jogging a couple of times a week again at the mo ..but hey determind to get serious this year ...Now ...which drawer did i file away all that enthusiasm in ... :cheesy:

p.s. we will need the Trade2win logo vests for the teams next 10 k ...any volunteers?

jtrader
Yes there are more gravel roads in the South Island, and they're mainly used for isolated access. This means that the best ski areas are more tricky to reach and so are even less populated than the main ones. Lots of un-pisted back country areas to make lovely tracks in. The only downside is the "nutcracker" rope tows - very hard work - but again they put people off! :LOL:
Cheers
Q
ps. this was taken on our recent trip!

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 284
Peter 1 said:
Hi Glenn

also got the running bug several years ago and you are so right ..it really does provide wonderful all round exercise.. and as they say.. Running may not increase the years of your life but it certainly increases the life in your years ..
I've gone from jogging a bit faster than walking pace in order to 'find' the legs and wind, to full marathons half marathons and 10 k's through Runners world countrywide events guide ..It's back to jogging a couple of times a week again at the mo ..but hey determind to get serious this year ...Now ...which drawer did i file away all that enthusiasm in ... :cheesy:

p.s. we will need the Trade2win logo vests for the teams next 10 k ...any volunteers?

Hi Peter
Same as you did marathons etc. Gave up racing years ago when I had to commute 4 hrs a day. I only run for fitness and pleasure nowadays.
And the local school has built a fence cutting it's playing field in half and completely ruined my favourite 400 yards speedwork stretch of grass :cry:

If you need enthusiasm just set a goal. Otherwise just enjoy getting out there :)
Glenn

Ski

Hi Quercus

Is that powder I see on those pristine white slopes? :cheesy:

I've heard about the club ski fields in NZ before. These facilities, if only basic must be a real privaledge - getting away from the crowds. Although when it comes to being out in extreme conditions, I don't mind been in crowds - or around other people.

NZ has always had a special appeal to me, and one of my goals in life is to spend some quality time there.

I only took up skiing last year but liked it.

We do have ski fields up in Scotland. I spent three days last year between Cairngorm Mountain and The Lecht - experiencing -25c wind chill at CM. Although these places are not on an Alpine scale, they were considerably more impressive than I imagined, though probably not worth visiting specifically from overseas, but worth a visit if you are in the area. Nice for beginners like me!

The problem we have in winter is lack of reliable and lasting snow during the (recent) winters. In Scotland, a base of snow needs to develop and snow needs to fall on top of this - in order for the slopes to take shape. The base is helped by freeze thaw cycles - which in turn make the base resistant to thaws - as you get several identifiable levels of snow........The problem arises when you do not get this base of snow building in the early season. In January we experienced cold week followed by mild week. This prevented the snow from lasting more than a few days - thus the bases from taking shape. In January or February a temp. of +10c was recorded on the summit of Cairngorm Mountain - at just over 4000ft! :rolleyes:

Another problem in Scotland is that it can get very windy. Therefore even if the snow conditions are good, there's a chance that it will be too windy to ski. This is due to Scotlands proximity to the Atlantic and the effects of the Gulf Stream. I understand NZ slopes face a similar problem with winds.

Take it easy

jtrader.

Of course, health conscious traders have always found ways to keep the circulation going during the working day........

Attachments

• Buying Aerobics.jpg
    Buying Aerobics.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Brambs

You have to do it to the tune of YMCA..........

Young man, there's no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
There's no need to be unhappy.

Young man, there's a place you can go.
I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

They have everything for young men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

you can always rely on me to go OTT........... ;)

I wake at 5.30 am and head off down to a local area of beauty for an hour or so in the morning.

The atmosphere and energy there at this time is incredible. I will usually take a walk down to the river, then practice some qi-gong for 15 minutes to 'feed off' the natural energy of the area. Then I will just sit in silence by the lake for another 15,20 minutes. Finnaly, I then take a 20-30 minute brisk walk around the grounds before returning home for breakfast.

What I have found is that by starting the day this way, my head is clear, and my energy levels are at a peak for the rest of the day. Due to the extreme 'strains' of trading, i believe its absloutely vital to spend at least an hour each day where your mind can be at complete rest... and i do this there before I start the day. I dont think about anything, I just use it as 'me' time to re-charge my batteries. Then, from 7.00am it's all systems go again!

I also always try and keep a window open when I am trading so that i am not 'cooped' up in a stuffy room all day. If its cold, put some more layers on!

Personally, I am total ease with my own company so im not too worried about having to meet up with people throughout the day. I trade for a set period each day, so when im done, I head of to the gym for a sweat, followed by a sauna and spa. I do this 7 days a week, and my partner usually comes too so I do my 'social bit' there.

It's also important to 'kick back' a bit in the evenings too, or at least the weekends if you trade evenings. Spend some time with your partner or friends, laugh, have fun, do silly stupid things, get ridiculously pissed etc etc!! The only way to achieve optimal health is to do things like this... stressing and worrying over your days activity even when the day is over is absolutely the wroing way to go about things!

What happened yesterday, or even what happened 5 minutes ago is forever gone, so why worry over it? Just learn the lesson from it, and move on. I have found that by adopting these ways of thinking into my life, my trading success has imporved dramitically, and my health is still as good as when I was 18, if not better.

There is a great book that you should all read about this type of thing, including the impact of quantum physics on everyday life and thinking. I originally dismissed it as new-age nonsense, but finally got round to reading it and it's had one hell of an impact on my life. PM me if you want it, cos ive got it somewhere in Adobe.

Last edited:
Trendie,

Across the long term (in addition to regular exercise and 'workouts' and 'practices') the biggest single physical act that REALLY helps my trading has been serious stretching within 30 minutes of awakening each day. Something like yoga is fine, but what works for me is a more 'serious' stretch of everything that moves with an added emphasis on the back of legs, back, and neck because that's what 'shortens' when we sit a lot and when we don't internally handle the pressures, stresses, and traumas of trading (and life)adequately. I include other inner practices at the same time and so the time is really well spent.

Also, I use a 40" high workstation with moniters at just below eye level and a tall chair. The result is that on many days I only sit down when I need a short rest from standing (and pacing and swaying and spinning and frolicking)

hth

zdo

ferrari1 said:
IWhat I have found is that by starting the day this way, my head is clear, and my energy levels are at a peak for the rest of the day. Due to the extreme 'strains' of trading, i believe its absloutely vital to spend at least an hour each day where your mind can be at complete rest... and i do this at Blenheim before I start the day. I dont think about anything, I just use it as 'me' time to re-charge my batteries. Then, from 7.30 it's all systems go again!

There is a great book that you should all read about this type of thing, including the impact of quantum physics on everyday life and thinking. I originally dismissed it as new-age nonsense, but finally got round to reading it and it's had one hell of an impact on my life. PM me if you want it, cos ive got it somewhere in Adobe.

I would be interested in the name of the book ??

If that is Blenheim Palace you are talking about perhaps His Lordship would let you have a quick nap in a 4 poster after the walk ( only kidding ) :cheesy:
Perhaps you ARE his lordship ?? ( no offence itended dear Sir )

Im very fortunate as i live in the lake district .
so i usually cycle around lake coniston every other day ,then about a hour before i start trading
i try to do some ti chi to try to get my mind in order for the day ahead. :cheesy:

As a Chinese trader in Shanghai, I would like to practice some slow soothing movements after the trading session in the nearby park. It is called 'Tai Ji Quan", a traditional Chinese GongFu. It is a kind of martial arts, but not so quick, very slow, try to use the energy of the enemy to attack the enemy. But in modern times, it is also a useful tool to calm down your body and your soul. I also like jogging 2-3 times a week . This give you a sense of moving and dynamic action, but Tai Ji Quan throws anything outside your thoughts, except the perception of peacefulness. It is a very slow activity, but I always sweat a lot even in winter, as what is moving is the "Qi", or the energy inside your body.

I like to steel a car, crash it into the local police station and get chased home. Gets the heart ready for the day.

As someone mentioned I think strecthing is very important. So I got Gerry Halliwell's yoga DVD but the bikini is a little off putting.