Have I entered the elite 5 percent?

aparoid89

Been trading real money now for four months, made around 50 trades and my account has expanded by 2 percent.

Have I made the cut of 5% profitable traders?

Depends on whether or not you will now get over confident and blow the lot in your next trade.

Don't want to be the rain on your parade but most traders aim to make a steady 2% per working day.
But seems you may be on the right track - so good luck !!

Been trading real money now for four months, made around 50 trades and my account has expanded by 2 percent.

50 trades is not really much to go on. Good luck though.

perhaps you would be a part of it if you could trade really well for 10-50 years.
will you still aim to be a part of that group? :cool:

You can't possibly be serious.

Certainly am

Some days I make more, some less but 2% a day target isn't really pushing too hard and with accumulation pretty good. Betting at 1% per bet to make 1% each - so that's only 2 winning bets. Often done for the day in 1 hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: x4x
Certainly am

Some days I make more, some less but 2% a day target isn't really pushing too hard and with accumulation pretty good. Betting at 1% per bet to make 1% each - so that's only 2 winning bets. Often done for the day in 1 hour.

I’m not sure how you calculate your %, but I think we are talking about two different things. The OP increased his account by 2%. I doubt you are adding to your account at the rate of 2% per working day...compounded...do you have any idea how much money you would have in 12 months starting with even a small amount of money?

I’m not sure how you calculate your %, but I think we are talking about two different things. The OP increased his account by 2%. I doubt you are adding to your account at the rate of 2% per working day...compounded...do you have any idea how much money you would have in 12 months starting with even a small amount of money?

Yeah - lots and lots of luvely jubbly

A target is one thing, but I don't claim to make it day in, day out though.

Just gotta watch the " birdie ".

There's nothing difficult about achieving 2% per day as an intraday trader - but I, and I'm sure many others have to take out profits on a weekly or monthly basis, so compounding at the rate you are suggesting doesn't happen, and I don't think Pat494 said he was compounding anyway.

Less than 1 or 2 % per day would, in my opinion, negate the whole purpose of day trading and would make it inefficient - efficiency is an often forgotten aspect of a good trading system/method/style.

There's nothing difficult about achieving 2% per day as an intraday trader - but I, and I'm sure many others have to take out profits on a weekly or monthly basis, so compounding at the rate you are suggesting doesn't happen, and I don't think Pat494 said he was compounding anyway.

Less than 1 or 2 % per day would, in my opinion, negate the whole purpose of day trading and would make it inefficient - efficiency is an often forgotten aspect of a good trading system/method/style.

Surely if you could make 2pc a day and understood some basic maths relating to compounding then it would be worth giving everything up for a month or two to become as rich as Croesus on a medium term view.

Marshmallow, anyone? Stanford marshmallow experiment

The OP said he expanded his account by 2% over four months, he didn't mention anything about daily targets. Pat said in reply to this that most traders aim to make 2% per working day which implies they are expanding their accounts by 2% per day.

The OP said he expanded his account by 2% over four months, he didn't mention anything about daily targets. Pat said in reply to this that most traders aim to make 2% per working day which implies they are expanding their accounts by 2% per day.

Which annualises at 5284.5% assuming a 200 working day year. Something I'm not getting here...

Surely if you could make 2pc a day and understood some basic maths relating to compounding then it would be worth giving everything up for a month or two to become as rich as Croesus on a medium term view.

Marshmallow, anyone? Stanford marshmallow experiment

I'm guessing you don't day trade - and my expense providers may not be too keen on me 'giving everything up for a month or two'.....!

Trading is technically very easy - the hard bit of trading is the psychological aspect - so compounding on a trade by trade basis can be counter productive. Take out your expenses each week and compound from there.

Depends on what you are trading. In futures you go for 1 or 2 % on the day but you can't just scale up, once you are up a certain dollar amount you can start adding 1 contract to the size you trade. With individual stocks I guess it is different, but I would suggest anybody break their trading up in chunks.
Say have 10k for each ES contract, trade 2 only once you have made another 10k. There is no rush, rather focus on making money consistently. If you can then the money will come in the end

I trade SB and not the American contracts. So trading 1% of wedge per bet is easy to work out

Depends on what you are trading. In futures you go for 1 or 2 % on the day but you can't just scale up, once you are up a certain dollar amount you can start adding 1 contract to the size you trade. With individual stocks I guess it is different, but I would suggest anybody break their trading up in chunks.
Say have 10k for each ES contract, trade 2 only once you have made another 10k. There is no rush, rather focus on making money consistently. If you can then the money will come in the end

As I look now, ES has 500 on one side and 200 on the other. You could scale up one hell of a long way before size became an issue...

aparoid89, that is some amazing news.. profit is being profitable.. don't let anyone tell you different.. Very awesome to finally here some inspiring stories such as yours..