graduating without a clear future...

nishok

Hey,

I'm sure you've gone through quite a few of these so I'll keep it short, I need some advice from all of you about what I should do once I graduate. First off, a bit about me:

Uni: Imperial College
Course: Computing (BEng)
Grade: 2.1 (Expected)
A Levels: AABB (A in Maths)
Experience: 6 weeks last summer at PwC CFR in my home country, 2 months 1st year summer at an IT firm
Work Permit: International Student - I DO NOT HAVE A STUPID WORK PERMIT.

Right, so basically I'm interested in Trading, although to be honest I do not know much about it, in terms of whether I want to go into equities, fixed income, etc. I just feel that I would be well suited to it since I can make quick decisions, my numerical skills are my strong point, etc. Problem is, coming from an IT background and having very little experience, I don't seem to be having much luck. The closest I've come is getting to final round assessment centre for DrkW Cap Markets Internship and being rejected.

These are my options:
1) I have a final round interview at a Big4 for Audit -> try and convert to job offer and take it
2) Try and get some experience over the summer at a hedge fund.etc and then apply again for a position in Trading in Sept to start the following year

Do you think that it would be really stupid to reject an offer from a Big4 firm just to pursue a career in a field that I feel I would be happier in and more suited to, especially with this whole work permit issue at hand?

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated

Hi,

Thoguht i'd add my opinion as i was in a similar position to yourself 8 months ago. Graduated with a good 2:1, had solid work experience and had a few offers to work at some large firms - M&G investements, Marsh. All my friends had good graduate jobs/masters sorted out so you know what i did - thought about whether i wanted to work for someone or make my own decisions. Said no to the job offers (au revoir to £28k), took out a loan, and busted my balls for 6 months trying to try to learn how to trade. Had no money, no spare time, living with parents and was damn miserable to be honest.

Then it hit me - was speaking to a mate on the phone and even though he was earning real nice money, he had no spare time to enjoy it. So i took a step backwards, went on a bender, and realised that even though i was nearly a goner with my trading account, it was up to me to decide whether to quit or change my attitude. I realised you cant learn how to trade in 6 months, youre not gonna make £1 million in you first year so I structured my days better, developed a simple trading method that i could use (realised that i was over analysing everything) and now i earn a reasnonable if not spectacular living, answer to no one and the women just love it when you tell them what you do (all be it a slightly embelished story!!). And one thing with trading is that though it can be very boring at times (like any job) you can never stop learning and the day you think you know it all must surely be the day to pack it in. Everyday you learn something new or learn that something you thought you knew was a load of rubbish - but thats as good as finding out something works IMHO.

Is this the right way for everyone - of course not. You gotta have the balls and the drive as there aint no one who is gonna help you out in this game. Go work for a big firm if you fancy a nice career job but if you're young, no real respnsibilities, just take a shot. The worst thing that can happen is you lose your money but the experiences you get will be better than any HR-orientated graduate training scheme where all you get is some middle manager who needs a good kicking telling you what to do!

David

Hey nishok,
I was in a similar position to you last year in my last year at university....however i had a law degree ( 2.1....), got accepted to do my LPC at the College of Law (little bit discouraged I couldn't land a training contract), then at the last minute I decided to give up my LPC place and try something a bit different and put my law career on hold for now. About 6 months ago I landed a job as a financial futures trainee trader (proprietary trading) and I have to say that although it has been tough, at times, it has been definetly worthwhile!!!! When I started I knew very little about trading and just learnt as I went along by watching others who were in my position before trading...and hopefully learning from their mistakes etc. Then after a few months, they put me on a simulator for a while which I didnt take very seriously...especially after 9 hour days. I must say that my start to my real trading wasn't too great but it was a steep learning curve...and i've managed to recover some of the losses i've made in my first disastrous month. Right now this minute im grinding it out trading the Schatz/Euribor....trying to make 50/100 pounds a day consistently (taking each day as they come) so hopefully they double my size in the near future.

If I could give you some advice would be that when your young we can afford to take some risks and try new things (as we still dont have many financial/marriage commitments) and if your really up for trading...GO FOR IT! I know that if this job doesnt work out I wont necessarily look at it as 1-2 years of wasted time.......more as experience (both professionally and personally).

Good luck!