GOOG - Long or Short......?!

I'm no expert on charting but the posts above are talking of a possible drop to $395...
watching Google for a while i was suprised by the broker upgrade with a price target of $490, but as it failed to break above $450 and has dropped now to $414 the big question is if it does break $400 support could it go south in a big way??
Watching Bloomberg at the weekend the analysts verdict was 'get out or go short' with the possibility of a retracement down to the $100 level!!!
Is this possible or scaremongery?

GOOG at a P/E OF 91 times earnings!

Most people dont even LIVE that long, you bet it's a SELL when it turns that is :)

SHORT AT 390 to SUPPORT at 320.

below that support is at 200 dollars --- OUCH !

It will go back to 200, don't fall in love with GOOG, your going GOOGLEY EYED ALREADY !!!

TopIQ said:

Most people dont even LIVE that long, you bet it's a SELL when it turns that is :)

It will go back to 200, don't fall in love with GOOG, your going GOOGLEY EYED ALREADY !!!

Question answered, thanks!
My feeling is this may all happen fairley soon, hold on for a fast ride...

TopIQ said:

Even though I am on a short position right now, I have to say that P/E is not something we should rely on to short. Short trade is on price, not value. you may open up a 5-yr chart of ERTS, and look at the beginning of chart, ERTs was priced at 40-50 at that time (you see 20-25 because there was a split afterwards) and P/E was 200. see what's the stock price today. I still believe ERTS only worth 10 dollars, but price is determined by what people are willing to pay, not the value. This is something short position has to suffer because we cannot hold a position for ever like a long position.

I keep bringing this ERTS lesson up for all short traders because that was a lesson i paid with real money, and my stop loss didn't even save me due to an over-night hype.

another example we could make is, what a stock should worth if it has earning of negative one cent per share? it's not worthless, right? then what if they suddenly gained 2 cents in earning, and end up with a huge P/E, shall the stock worth less from then on?

Finally remember price is not equal to value in trading.

Now your support line assumption setting is what i agree with. I was shorting when goog dropped below 420, and will exit when price gets under 400. if the price hits 390, i will most likely short again to even lower (assume chart still look right at that time).

if we ever see the bear trend continue to a much lower point, we would need a bad earning in Jan 30. if the earning happen to be great, no matter they cooked the book, or if it was some proforma calculation, or if it was real, we will need to do another round of analysis to figure out where to stand.

Housing bubble was spotted a long while back, and it is still not quite bursted yet :)

GOOG has a gap between 320 and 340. One day it will get filled.....hehehe :)

Hope your short position brings you a very profitable new year!

Piper Jaffrey just raised the bar to $600 this year!!!!!! Goog pre open trading up $8......

Bono said:
Piper Jaffrey just raised the bar to $600 this year!!!!!! Goog pre open trading up $8......

Yeah, it's now actually $20 up at closing. the 410 put position i entered earlier at 7.50 is now priced at 2.75. $475 down for the first day of the trading year doesn't seem to be a good sign :)
Since the delta of this contract is so small now, I will just hold it.

Anyways, like i mentioned in the "Elliot wave" post a few days ago, after a breaking below 420, we do expect a pull back for 3 trading days. However, today's pull back is way stronger than what we expected. (I expect it to move above 420 over a three-day course, not above 430 in one day) therefore we got to watch one of two possibilities:
1. today's pull back is not just a pull back, but it breaks the pattern completely
2. today's pull back is a pull back, and it will cool down after three trading days, where we will expect the last correction wave.

Now, how to differ between these two cases is out of my experience. I would like to hear some opinions. It's never too bad to walk away.

As the time being, I will just go back to scalping mode, and when i scalp the longs i will go more aggressive since i have a little bit hedge.

I only focus on 5 stocks plus CAD on Forex thats it. This is enough to earn a living. Goog is just one of the stock i focus on. Sold 460 calls @ 16.10, so breakeven is 476. It needs to go up by a further $36. I was looking to follow it with doing a Covered Call and buy the stock at 400 - 200 EMA for 4 hrs, but did not quite make it.

still testing my system on 4 hour chart. Divergence on the 3rd wave seems to be working well, looking at emas crossover, not difficult

do any of you guys use emas? if so which one? does it work?

Why focus on so many stocks, if only 5 can do the job!

cwang said:
Hmm, i think i would consider doing something like sell 440 call and buy 460 call, but just sell 460 call naked is not the cup of tea i want to take yet. In the first case, we have a calculatable risk, in the second case we don't. you cannot stop people from suddenly taking lots of pot during new year eve then put all their money in buying google two days later.

are you also focusing everything on google now since you are using goog as your user name ? :) I hope google doesn't split so we option traders can enjoy this cheap commission fee.

$30 someday....?

Well, the $25 triangle target has been met, but only after a fake out break south……

Plainly any bearish trades on GOOG should only be made with a very tight stop-loss all the time that these outrageous $500/$600 targets are effective in pushing the price up…

I note that a compelling recent $30 valuation is being ignored (for now….!... ;) )

GOOG has made its way up to test resistance again in the $440/$450 area and has gapped up twice in two days…

I suspect that the price will fall back again from resistance to at least fill the upper gap and will vacillate between the current $400/$450 S/R levels until a decisive break either way creates the catalyst for the next big move….

Attachments

• GOOG04-01-06.gif
    GOOG04-01-06.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 276
goog said:
I only focus on 5 stocks plus CAD on Forex thats it. This is enough to earn a living. Goog is just one of the stock i focus on. Sold 460 calls @ 16.10, so breakeven is 476. It needs to go up by a further $36. I was looking to follow it with doing a Covered Call and buy the stock at 400 - 200 EMA for 4 hrs, but did not quite make it.

still testing my system on 4 hour chart. Divergence on the 3rd wave seems to be working well, looking at emas crossover, not difficult

do any of you guys use emas? if so which one? does it work?

Why focus on so many stocks, if only 5 can do the job!

I use dailys for long term trend reading, and use 5min and 1min for shor term reading. 90% of my trades only stay in market for 10 mins, so I haven't found much use for EMA yet. I mainly reply on ticker and volume by price levels. However, I am always in the mood to add more indicators.

Looking at the daily, i still hold the same theory, we may see a 2nd correction wave after 1-2 days unless the current small wave ride up too much. When looking at 4hr chart, however, it looks more bearish.

This morning, market went weird, where all the call volatilities went way higher than put volatilities after the open, so I bought a few put and sold them after the two volatilities balanced a bit. this is a very rare event, what does it mean? This is actually the first time i caught an event like this, and it didn't make any sense too me.

So you are trading 5 things at a time, wow, that must be hard. I only trade goog and USDJPY at the same time, and it was way too mind consuming already :)

Hopefully, we can catch a historical event here anytime soon.

Goog just broke $450!! maybe we will see $600 after all (noticed that Goog had another broker calling a $550 target)...........
May be time to scalp some points on the way up!
Then short, short, short...

Hopefully, we can catch a historical event here anytime soon

Maybe it happened today cwang - Another higher high for GOOG with a late surge to above $450 which was the highest price target until recently…

Apart from this week’s analyst’s price targets up to $600, the ‘good’ news keeps on coming….

Should Google start looking for a Monster under its corporate bed?
The top search engine is preparing to formally roll out Google Base, a service that among other things will allow users to post job listings for free.
Some have speculated that Google could make an even bigger splash in the online classifieds business by acquiring Monster Worldwide, which runs the popular online job site Monster.com.

But Google, with $7.6 billion in cash and a richly valued stock, could easily afford to buy Monster, which is valued at about $5 billion.

Could ‘good news fatigue’ set in……?!

Two price ‘Islands’ created this week, and maybe that’s one too many – I’m wondering if the break above $450 is sustainable or a fake out…..we’ll find out soon….. :cool:

Attachments

• GOOG05-01-06.gif
    GOOG05-01-06.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 230
  • KingGOOG.jpg
    KingGOOG.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 481
It keeps on coming:-

Google Inc. (GOOG) late Friday unveiled a the Google Video Store, a marketplace where consumers can buy and rent a wide range of entertainment programming.
“The trend is your friend until the bend at the end”….as they say

Is the elusive ‘end bend’ in sight? – maybe… There’s plainly some resistance in the $470 area, but that could be temporary in the face of recent bullishness…

Three gap-up opens this short week – a $50 run and not one gap filled (yet..!) – irrational exuberance again? – over to you Alan…

Some traders short into strength I know, but I’m looking for weakness, and I don’t see that at the moment…maybe in a day or two..

It reminds me of the old trading adage – “top and bottom pickers end up cotton pickers”…..!

Alabama here I come….. ;)

Attachments

• GOOG06-01-06.gif
    GOOG06-01-06.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 240
A guest on CNBC last night talking to Maria said GOOG would be a $2000 stock within 5 years..... only in America.. :LOL:

tradesmart said:
It keeps on coming:-

It reminds me of the old trading adage – “top and bottom pickers end up cotton pickers”…..!

Alabama here I come….. ;)

Good morning, i just came back from Las Vagas, as i mentioned before :)

Friady Afternoon, I went to check out Larry Page's speech at CES, and this guy surely was able to look good, so as google.

Ebay+yahoo+google were the major point of interest this time, after microsoft and intel did their early speech. remember that
$200 PC thing in the rumor a couple weeks ago, then google dismissed it as a rumor? in CES, they seem to brought this up again in a different format. It looks like we are having a hand-held boom. it's going to be either real or a bubble again. then we got to see what role google plays here.

yeah, trading wise, it's still time to not doing anything.

Hi Cwang, Las Vegas sounds a dream from here under the leaden UK skies…!....and I think it’s likely that GOOG will remain at the cutting edge of innovation as the second coming of the technology bull run could be nigh (maybe…. ;) )

Looking in enough timeframes, the target solution can generally be found and the current upside run may have reached a conclusion..

A classic ‘Bump and Run’ setup now, so a reversal to fill some of those gaps left in the last bullish week could be in store….

The immediate downside target is $450 imho.......

Attachments

• GOOG10-01-06.gif
    GOOG10-01-06.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 204
tradesmart said:
Hi Cwang, Las Vegas sounds a dream from here under the leaden UK skies…!....and I think it’s likely that GOOG will remain at the cutting edge of innovation as the second coming of the technology bull run could be nigh (maybe…. ;) )

Looking in enough timeframes, the target solution can generally be found and the current upside run may have reached a conclusion..

A classic ‘Bump and Run’ setup now, so a reversal to fill some of those gaps left in the last bullish week could be in store….

The immediate downside target is $450 imho.......

Hi:

Now i know you are in UK, was wondering why you only post while i am sleeping.

You amazes me with more and more charting theory every time :) thanks for the bump and run article, it's an interesting one that I have never seen before.
Now, the only concern I have with the bump and run article is that, it's hard to say which two points we should use to define the bump line.

If the entire historical chart is shown on the screen, it's obvious. However, if the historical bars are shown to you one-by-one, or in real time, it's hard to determine when is a good time to draw a bump line. It's very easy to draw the bump line early, and get a quick short squeeze, unless we have something measurable to determine that, for example, the length of the lines have to match certain ratio and such.

as today's movement goes, google is refusing to break any recent low or high, just keep losing volatility. the only thing we can do now is still sit there and scalp some chump change. Now, if the two points you chose for the bump line was correct, we still need to wait a few points to be able to trade it. (shorting too close to recent high is very bad)

Patience is what we need now. Everything smells good for sure:
1. AOL took their money and became a competitor
2. we start seeing empty promises from google for word processor and spreadsheet(very bubble look-and-fee)
3. google held large amount of cash untouched (when people realized ebay's profit was the same as bank interest a few years back, ebay crashed for a moment)
4. all recent chart patterns are either gap up or bearish candles, well, a young hot stock usually can carry those baggage for long time, let's hope our patience wins
5. Shoe-shine boys start talking about buying google stock

it goes longer, let's see. now, while there aren't that much other bubble to play right now, google bubble can almost grow for ever, so it's hard to say whether it will burst soon. It's also hard to determine how much air was in the bubble, and how much was real. Yahoo earning is due next Tuesday, let's not miss that number.

The $496 area has a lot of price pressure based on waves...

Its also $400 bucks up from the first day low......

There seems to be a few good time hits for Tuesday but its just stabbing in the dark.

Attachments

• goog.jpg
    goog.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 150