FTSE100 July 2004

sorry alliance - if you go back through the ftse threads you'll see I'm "into" candlesticks!!! The abandoned baby is just one - albeit a very rare one - of the candlestick reversal patterns which all have exotic names. shooting star; hanging man; dark cloud cover; three black crows; evening and morning stars; long legged doji; rickshaw man; harami to name but a few.

fin - having the right volume is a good starter for ten!! Wonder who'se right.

Good afternoon one and all!

Barjon and Fin....tnx 4 the info, very much appreciated :)
No trades again for me thus far 2day coz I haven't a clue wot way US is gonna play it 2day....tho my feeling is for another visit (if not a close) beneath 10,000-9950 on dow and under 4300 on ftse! Fear of another drop plus weekenditis may set in stateside! Of course I am most probably totally wrong and both Indices will rocket ;)

Have a look at a 5 day intraday chart - Monday to today , 15 to 30 mins shows it best.

It as perfectly symetrical a head and shoulders as I can remember and it says it is about to head south

peterpr said:
Have a look at a 5 day intraday chart - Monday to today , 15 to 30 mins shows it best.

It as perfectly symetrical a head and shoulders as I can remember and it says it is about to head south

OTOH - extend that to 8 days and an irratic mobe up to around 4370 is suggested - before heading south.

I still have little doubt that insider sentiment favours the bears with considerably more upside than downside risk from there (or even 4340) on about a one week view.

That's called sticking your neck out!

Good Afternoon Fellow Posters And Lurkers/Observers

alliance

Closed my long this afternoon for 18 points. Not covinced that the opening gap from yesterday morning is about to be closed especially as its a cry baby abandoned on an island top in danger of having its cluster reversed ! plus the sma's have started to turn down, plus wary of the US, plus don't want to be long over the weekend, plus need a few quid to go shopping at Lidl, need a few more wins before I can aspire to shop at Tesco.

I am inclined to go short, there was a gap up on opening this morning which needs to be filled - more chance of that gap being filled than the one mentioned above. But will see what US does.

Regards

bracke

Not covinced that the opening gap from yesterday morning is about to be closed especially as its a cry baby abandoned on an island top in danger of having its cluster reversed !

need a few quid to go shopping at Lidl, need a few more wins before I can aspire to shop at Tesco.

Bracke:
My dear man u made me laugh out loud...summat I dont do often unless by some great stroke of misfortune..I happen to see my naked reflection in a full length mirror! :LOL: Only kidding, I cry like an abandoned baby when that happens ;)

(so busy lol'ing @ ur post I missed the drop on dow...AGAIN)!!!

alliance said:
Bracke:
My dear man u made me laugh out loud...summat I dont do often unless by some great stroke of misfortune..I happen to see my naked reflection in a full length mirror! :LOL: Only kidding, I cry like an abandoned baby when that happens ;)

(so busy lol'ing @ ur post I missed the drop on dow...AGAIN)!!!

Pleased to bring a little humour to the alliance screen, will hastily draw a veil or more appropriately a nappy across the naked reflection.

I think you have a dow fixation. I hope that when do manage to place a trade it goes your way otherwise you are going to be very upset.

I am still out of the market and will probably stay that way now as it is getting close to ftse closing time.

Regards

bracke

I wish you all a pleasant weekend and look forward to next week and another thrilling installment of
'alliance And The DOW' will he, wont he - you'll just have to come back on Monday to find out, Oh the suspense !

Regards

bracke

Yeah I am thinking of publishing my dow diaries...wot ya think? ;)

Have a GR8 weekend bracke...pleasant is just not good enuff! :)

Good Morning All

First to post at 10.55am, where are you all?

alliance

Did you or didn't you? I could hardly contain myself over the weekend in anticipation of your trade. I hope you didn't go long as you were threatening to.

The alliance dow diaries does have a certain ring to it perhaps it might be better as a novel but would it be a comedy, tragedy or a horror story with or without a happy ending !

Regards

bracke

Morning Bracke:
Long lie again? ;)

No, tho I was tempted to go long when Sept Dow fell to 9910, I resisted due to close proximity of the bell! So still out of mkt as we speak.

I think my dow diaries would be classed as a tragi-comedy ;)

mornin' bracke

see we're approaching that crucial 290 - 300 support area again - maybe a stutter, maybe a bounce, maybe a downward break, we'll soon see.

alliance

Yes my arising was a little late to-day and as a result missed the ftse turn towards what may be its attempt to fill the gap I mentioned on Friday.

Regarding the dow. Mr Greenspan due to speak again this week so all eyes on him.

barjon

Filling the gap as mentioned above. Thereafter probably wait for the US to show the way.

Regards

bracke

bracke

You and your gaps (as that blast from the past Bonsai used to say - the ftse just loves to fill its gaps).

And what about the previous "abandoned baby" gap? Or will that stay abandoned.

barjon said:
bracke

You and your gaps (as that blast from the past Bonsai used to say - the ftse just loves to fill its gaps).

And what about the previous "abandoned baby" gap? Or will that stay abandoned.

Well the gap got filled. The abandoned baby causes me to think...which is dangerous.
I have little doubt that the market makers would like to fill it given the opportunity ,which probably means the US has got to rise to provide the impetus.

Regards

bracke

barjon said:
support holds again?? more rubber in the ball this time?

Not convinced.

After droping to the intraday low ftse made a very slow grind upwards on low volume ( thought about going long but was not convinced ). Dow opens and moves up, ftse follows. Dow drops and ftse loses most of its gains in approx 20 minutes.

No rubber in ftse ball unless dow gives us some.

Very wary until dow decides where it is going.

Regards

bracke

bracke

Tend to agree, but I would like to see that 290 - 300 support area hold. Sometimes wonder what we're doing bothering with ftse when it's doing its dow puppet bit. Maybe should be concentrating on the organ grinder!!

cheers

jon

barjon said:
bracke

Tend to agree, but I would like to see that 290 - 300 support area hold. Sometimes wonder what we're doing bothering with ftse when it's doing its dow puppet bit. Maybe should be concentrating on the organ grinder!!

cheers

jon

I have tried the dow in the past with varying degrees of success.
It is very volatile and close or medium stops get taken out in the twinkling of an eye IE 20/50 points. I have tried long stops 120 points and they also get taken out and then it reverses.

Perhaps the s&P500 might be a better bet but I have no experience of trading it. Does anyone have experience of trading it ?

Regards

bracke

Evenin' all!
Out 4 most of day,so no trades but back to see dow and ftse back down @ lows. Now long on ftse with a small cushion @ close. Tempted by dow @ 9000 twice around 8pm, but resisted! Sorry bracke ;)