FTSE100 - January 2005

knucklehead said:
The trend changed on 3rd January 2005 with all that energy sector selling!

Huge sell day for the dow was 17dec04, nasdaq needs only 4/5 higher volume sell days to change the trend !

Look out below :)

knucklehead

3rd January? Wasn't the market closed.

jon

MGBRoadster said:
I'm researching a FTSE gap strategy (modified from http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/cont_detail/0,3206,1070+14719,00.html ) but i'm a little confused by the closing prices.

The final price I recorded for ZH5 on IB at 17:30 yesterday was 4818

This morning I logged on to find a figure of C4811

Can anyone let me know where 4811 comes from, and which figure should be my target ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris

what's ZH5?

jon

bracke said:
Apologies for resurrecting that, that you prefer to forget.

The object would be to learn from your mistakes ( much cheaper for the rest of us ) and trying not to use hindsight, comment on your trades.

Regards

bracke

Didn't make any mistakes :LOL: My swings (3 lower low correction in uptrend, buy when high of swing low bar is exceeded) produced a rash of buys on Monday which all bit the dust on Tuesday as the stops were triggered.

jon

barjon said:
Chris

what's ZH5?

jon

LIFFE:mad:ZH5 is the March 2005 FTSE100 Futures contract (Interactive Brokers symbol is Z )

The last price I saw yesterday was 4802, but at 7:30am today IB had "C4805"

Gap doesn't look like closing today

MGBRoadster said:
LIFFE:mad:ZH5 is the March 2005 FTSE100 Futures contract (Interactive Brokers symbol is Z )

The last price I saw yesterday was 4802, but at 7:30am today IB had "C4805"

Gap doesn't look like closing today

Does the futures market close with the main market or do they run an extended period?

Gap today probably depends on the DOW - remember Tuesday :)

good trading

jon

Futures market trades an extra hour til 17:30

The last couple of days the "C" price has been very close to the Futures price at 16:30, and I had thought that explained the difference. But last Friday had C4814, which was the same as my 17:30 price. The 16:30 price was 4808, so there must be another factor.

If you show a horizontal line for the "close" in Quotetracker it shows the same price as the "C" price from IB. This isn't always the same as the last price shown on the previous day's chart

barjon said:
Didn't make any mistakes :LOL: My swings (3 lower low correction in uptrend, buy when high of swing low bar is exceeded) produced a rash of buys on Monday which all bit the dust on Tuesday as the stops were triggered.

jon

I hope you will not think that I am nit picking but if you trades were not mistakes/errors/miscalculations I hope I manage to avoid successes similar to them.

Or is this a case of 'context & judgement'..........couldn;t resist it..

Regards

bracke ( without malice )

bracke said:
I hope you will not think that I am nit picking but if you trades were not mistakes/errors/miscalculations I hope I manage to avoid successes similar to them.

Or is this a case of 'context & judgement'..........couldn;t resist it..

Regards

bracke ( without malice )

Now, now brackey boy. You well know that no method gives success every time - you've got to accept the ebb and flow.

They were not mistakes in the sense that they were correct trades in the context of my method with no judgement made to ignore or bend any of my rules.

By the way, did you notice the infamous dow 10am reversal struck again as it did on Tuesday. Not so rewarding this time though.

good trading

jon

barjon said:
Now, now brackey boy. You well know that no method gives success every time - you've got to accept the ebb and flow.

They were not mistakes in the sense that they were correct trades in the context of my method with no judgement made to ignore or bend any of my rules.

By the way, did you notice the infamous dow 10am reversal struck again as it did on Tuesday. Not so rewarding this time though.

good trading

jon

1st para. Fair comment as long as there are more flows than ebbs.

2nd para. In that case do you need to revise your method?

3rd para. I did but did not trade either of them.

Regards

bracke

bracke said:
2nd para. In that case do you need to revise your method?

Regards

bracke

not unless my ebbs start ounumbering my flows

Also by the way - I tried to post the first chart earlier for your edification and delight so you could see if the long white continued operating in real time but my computer threw a wobbly when I tried to convert to .gif .

In the end the mid-point of the long white held for a time and then the base (with a couple of minor penetrations) but never doing more than just holding and never able to break through above first the candles high and then its mid-point until we got to DOW opening. First a break down (but you always have to wait for that potential 10am caper) then up with the base of the longest white of the day giving support? Another co-incidence I suppose ;)

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftse.gif
    ftse.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 216
  • ftse2.gif
    ftse2.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 195
mornin' all

missed the opening this morning (late night)

on one chart I've got an opening spike to 814 on the other to 805. what was it?

good trading

jon

barjon said:
not unless my ebbs start ounumbering my flows

Also by the way - I tried to post the first chart earlier for your edification and delight so you could see if the long white continued operating in real time but my computer threw a wobbly when I tried to convert to .gif .

In the end the mid-point of the long white held for a time and then the base (with a couple of minor penetrations) but never doing more than just holding and never able to break through above first the candles high and then its mid-point until we got to DOW opening. First a break down (but you always have to wait for that potential 10am caper) then up with the base of the longest white of the day giving support? Another co-incidence I suppose ;)

good trading

jon

Edified and delighted in equal amounts.

I have added some s/r lines to your charts.

How do you define a long candle?

May your flows always outnumber your ebbs.

Regards

bracke

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 194
  • untitled.jpg2.jpg
    untitled.jpg2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 210
barjon said:
knucklehead

3rd January? Wasn't the market closed.

jon

In the UK it was, so that all you brits could sleep in after binge drinking all night and kissing lamp posts !!!!

Where talking about the Real Markets in the good ol 'U S A !!!

While you lot were fast asleep the markets changed trend that's why your still probably bullish, when the smart money is Bearish :cheesy:

knucklehead said:
In the UK it was, so that all you brits could sleep in after binge drinking all night and kissing lamp posts !!!!

While you lot were fast asleep the markets changed trend that's why your still probably bullish, when the smart money is Bearish :cheesy:

Or could it just be that the economy on this side of the puddle is doing o k, whilst the chickens are coming home to roost on the other side !!!!!! :cheesy:

knucklehead said:

kh

mmm, so what was the big sell off of ftse stocks and how come ftse was +32 on 4 Jan when it did open after all that happy binging and kissing? :confused:

There's been smart money calling the bear for well over a year now but he's still slumbering :LOL: . He might open an eye if we go below 4765 and come out of his den for a look around if 4675 goes. Meanwhile the bull may have caught a winter cold and it might yet develop into 'flu but it's a bit early to call up the knackers lorry.

Course you may be spot on in calling the turn, in which case my not-so-smart money will join yours with still lots of room to profit. :)

good trading

jon

bracke said:
Edified and delighted in equal amounts.

I have added some s/r lines to your charts.

How do you define a long candle?

May your flows always outnumber your ebbs.

Regards

bracke

bracke,

Ah, we're back to context and judgement :LOL: What you're looking for is a convincing move, often depicted by an unusually long candle in the context of recent action. There is a little s/r logic behind it - rember the support/resistance graph?

The 50% point is where buyers begin to outnumber sellers and the base is the point where it's all buyers and no sellers. That assumes the price is ranging, if it's going to trend up then the s/r graph is tilted up with the base becoming the 50% point on a 45degree trend.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• support.gif
    support.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 198