FTSE 100 September 2004

Well I'm back from Ireland - short stopped at 4580 - a little sheepish and poorer - but pulled a bit back today.

I'm not going to eat my hat (4630 was the level) just yet because, whilst we've spiked above it a couple of times today, I'm waiting for a close above it.

I go along with much of what pratbh says + secular bull/bear market theory requires rather longer that 2-3 years for a secular cycle to complete by definition (ie a new secular bull did NOT commence in 2003) - but the thing that continues to clinch the bear case for me is general public sentiment. It's hard to imagine it getting more bullish than it already is (last weeks IMF report, rising earnings/profits, optimism on oil prices, interest rates, rising markets generally + the genral tenor of the financial pages - with a few notable exceptions) - being a confirmed contrarian that's the time to start taking contrary positions (though I must admit to jumping the gun a bit lately!). I don't see major bull runs to new all-time highs starting when sentiment is already at close to an all time high - just the opposite. They start when the depths of depression begin to to give way to optimism - and vice-versa.

Frankly, in spite of the US election and US/UK etc sentiment highs, US economic fundamentals are beginning to look ragged and when the DOW/SPX turn south - which they look like doing right now, the Footsie won't be slow to follow.

Of course all this is high flown theory and, for those trading mainly intra-day or intra-week, it's also largely irrelevant.

Still, I'm remain far more wary of longs than shorts.

is the ftse breaking free? dow is flat or down slightly from a month ago whilst (as I write) ftse is up nearly 4%

barjon said:
is the ftse breaking free? dow is flat or down slightly from a month ago whilst (as I write) ftse is up nearly 4%

As of yesterday's close, YTD the DOW was down 2.9%; FTSE up 1.8%.

But If you look at highs for the year the DOW made +3.2% on 11th Feb and has had declining highs ever since, whereas the best FTSE has managed is +2.2% on Tuesday. There was a not too dissimilar set up back at the last major market top in 2000 where the FTSE still seemed determined to move higher in the face of successive declining tops on the DOW begining in January. FTSE fell into line in late September

I'm still looking for a repeat.

taken a long at 4566 on SB prices, looking for 4590 by the close...

hit my inner buy level, so in theory we should go up from here....

dont like the feel of the markets at the moment. yesterday's dow gave me the jitters...

oil is having so much influence at the moment (though the profit warnings didnt help)

:eek:

peterpr

I've got that bearskin warming nicely in the oven for you, it will go down a treat with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Regards

bracke

bracke said:
peterpr

I've got that bearskin warming nicely in the oven for you, it will go down a treat with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Regards

bracke

Nah - don't think I'll be needing it now - damn close call though and I have to admit that even I am still a bit tentative about this downleg still. Here's a quote from one of the US analysts I follow - it tickled me. Referring to the DOW after Wednesday's close he said:

"This really does look like a nice short setup. However, with the debate (That's the televised Bush/Kerry encounter) only 8 days away. count on Dubya's boys to buy S&P futures and instigate some sort of short covering rally. Question is will the bearish forces of down cycles, a major Dow Theory non-confirmation between Trannies and Industrials and an Elliot wave 3 be more than manipulation can handle? We shall see."

Spot on I'd say - caution on short positions still called for.

peterpr said:
Nah - don't think I'll be needing it now - damn close call though and I have to admit that even I am still a bit tentative about this downleg still. Here's a quote from one of the US analysts I follow - it tickled me. Referring to the DOW after Wednesday's close he said:

"This really does look like a nice short setup. However, with the debate (That's the televised Bush/Kerry encounter) only 8 days away. count on Dubya's boys to buy S&P futures and instigate some sort of short covering rally. Question is will the bearish forces of down cycles, a major Dow Theory non-confirmation between Trannies and Industrials and an Elliot wave 3 be more than manipulation can handle? We shall see."

Spot on I'd say - caution on short positions still called for.

No argument with any of the above but I suspect reality will not kick in until after the US election or at least the Bush camp will try to prevent it doing so.
I do not trust the markets at the best of times but I am extra untrusting currently.

In the meantime I will put the bearskin on the back burner....just in case.

Regards

bracke

TWS dax/ftse lines froze until 9:43.I downloaded the latest TWS and now it doesn't show P/L.Contacted IB and they've been having problems which will be fixed by a new TWS in october - so print those statements!

pratbh said:
Well bulls, we are going down big time.

I did warn you guys.

pratbh

One swallow does not make a summer, don't count your chickens, etc

Is this wishful thinking on your behalf.

Ftse still above 4500 and as 'Bully' barjon pointed out, until 4300 is broken it would be premature to say the bull is in retreat or 'going down big time'.

Whilst I still think that a large fall will occur I still hold to the view that it may be later rather than sooner. Time will tell.

Have you a target in mind for the ftse and if so by when.

Regards

bracke

pratbh

everything comes to he who waits (maybe :LOL: )

been short since 555 (but only half a position ;) )

good trading

jon

Bracke,
I will close my shorts as soon as we are near 4300 (which in my opinion will happen around Oct 22). 4300 is a strong support. So I will watch it at that point. If we bounce off 4300, I might even open a few longs to catch some quick profit.

If 4300 is broken, all hell will break lose.

IN EW terms my favoured position is that the recent high was the final/terminal - truncated (ie 5th wave) of all degrees from the 2003 lows (I had been operating on the basis of that having been the April high and confess to having been badly burned a couple of times on subsequent up moves - not to mention promising to eat my hat if it broke 4630 this year back in July!).

Anyway, though chastened and pretty cautious, I'm close to clawing it all back now so here's what I see going forward. We're on first minute degree wave 1 down of a primary wave which will eventually re-test the 2003 lows. This minute 5 set will test the 4300 level again with the 3rd being the biggest move. Timeframe? - 10-20 trading days (less than the total upmove). Smallish bounce 2nd up due shortly (this week?) which could hit the high 4500's again, followed by 3rd wave down - the strongest which ought to coin it in for anyone short from about present levels. That's what my favourite EWP analysts are saying anyway.

The thing is that, so far as a fairly rapid potential move at least to the 50/200 dma support is concerned, there are plenty of others saying the similar things - in the US as well for both DOW & S&P.

The damn thing could just snowball what with crude prices and all.

barjon said:
pratbh

everything comes to he who waits (maybe :LOL: )

been short since 555 (but only half a position ;) )

good trading

jon

barjon

Does the above mean that you are not so 'Bully' any more or simply hedging your bets.

Regards

bracke

bracke

As I said in post 60 (btw any views on that volume question?) I was only bullish because I hadn't yet seen a reason to go bearish.The back off from resistance may be the start so, since I was out of the market, I took a half position when we penetrated Friday's low. Today's bar will be the third lower high, lower low so is a potential swing low bar. If it is, then I'll get a long signal if we go up beyond today's high and that'll be a full position (won't wait 'til then to close the short of course).

good trading

jon

barjon said:
bracke

As I said in post 60 (btw any views on that volume question?) I was only bullish because I hadn't yet seen a reason to go bearish.The back off from resistance may be the start so, since I was out of the market, I took a half position when we penetrated Friday's low. Today's bar will be the third lower high, lower low so is a potential swing low bar. If it is, then I'll get a long signal if we go up beyond today's high and that'll be a full position (won't wait 'til then to close the short of course).

good trading

jon

Regarding you volume query. If I sell shares to the broker but he does not have a buyer would that be recorded as a sell but would not be recorded as a buy until the broker eventually sells them on?

Regards

bracke

don't think so, but I'm not absolutely certain. I think if you sell and the broker (market maker presumably) buys that volume will be counted, then again when he sells on to another buyer

ps: I think the buy volume and sell volume is very misleading - it's only judged on the deal price. Then again it only shows, if anything, who initiated the transaction - there's still always a buyer and a seller for each transaction.

bracke said:
If I sell shares to the broker but he does not have a buyer would that be recorded as a sell but would not be recorded as a buy until the broker eventually sells them on?
It's recorded as a single transaction.

thanks, tony, another island appears in my ocean of ignorance. But, how does he know? eg: he might buy 100,000 shares from bracke then sell 20 lots of 5,000 to us lesser mortals over a period - during which he may have bought more shares and so on. Still recorded as a single transaction - if so when? Doesn't volume tick each time someone takes legal title to the shares (ie: not just a fixer arranging the deal between parties)

For every trade recorded on T&S - there is a buyer and a seller. Simple as that. For every bit of volume there was a buyer and a seller - at that price - for all that volume. For every transaction that hits the print.When I buy the 100,000 from Bracke - I am the buyer/Bracke is the seller.

For the 20 X 5,000 lots I sell to you lesser mortals - I am the seller in each instance and each one of your mortals is the buyer. We're matched in every instance.

Must get back to my Nectar and Ambrosia now...'scuse me...