FTSE 100 - May

Finirama

Why?

The dow's range is in the lows of a sharp decline which usually indicates further downside.

I appreciate that there may be a rally at the open but what makes you think it will hold?

Regards

bracke

A FEELING!!!!!

And you an advocate and practitioner of the charts

This is tantamount to treason

I dont know how you can live with yourself after such an utterance

I think you best plead insanity if mully asks you to explain such a heinous statement.

Regards

bracke

if you remove everything and ask yourslef if you saw this on a 5 min chart what would you do Long? or short or stand aside?

Attachments

• mmmmmm.GIF
    mmmmmm.GIF
    7.3 KB · Views: 199
iainpw

That's as maybe, but its no reason for Finirama to take leave of his senses - perhaps he has been in the sun too much.

The futures are showing a rise for the dow but 2 questions - will it hold and will it get back above 10.000.

In any event even if Finirama is proved correct, I suspect it will be a short term event

With current turmoil, overvalued markets and falling bullish % index the way points down.

Regards

bracke

Hooya

Bearing in mind that I am not a day trader I would sit on the fence and do nothing.

But to my inexperienced eye it looks bearish

If the red line is support it has broken through on several occasions.

Regards

bracke

Finirama

Ahhh yes of course........young children have great capacity to send us grups round the bend.

Best sit and have a rest until decorum is restored

Regards

bracke

Anyone help me. I was just about to sell the 4400 FTSE May PUT using LIFFE as the guide price for the first time when my broker suggested I trade the FTSE Euro Option. Prices weren't as good. I usually trade on equity options but thought this may be a new addition to the armoury. Can anyone tell me the difference.

Hooya,
Yes i'd do the same as bracke - sit on the fence with a bearish slant on things.

Iain

stevecartwright said:
Anyone help me. I was just about to sell the 4400 FTSE May PUT using LIFFE as the guide price for the first time when my broker suggested I trade the FTSE Euro Option. Prices weren't as good. I usually trade on equity options but thought this may be a new addition to the armoury. Can anyone tell me the difference.

Hi Steve,
FTSE options (ESX Contract) trade 25/75 strike ie 4425, 4475, 4525 and so on.
The other contact has no volume/liquidity.
If your going to sell PUTS can I ask what hedge you are thinking of / have in place? ( assuming your doing this to open a position....)
I know Friday is expiry but this market could break down by / before then....
My screen in currently quoting for May 4425 puts 36/37.5 and 4375 May puts 15/16.5 points.
KJH

Last edited:
Hooya,

I like it....an excellent idea to increase user participation...'wot would you do?'

interesting ...a long and two sitting on the fences..I am short FTSE now as I view that chart (30 min dow) I posted quite bearish (9953 when I posted it) but it doesnt really matter as there are clear stops for either long or shorts imo on that chart.

stevecartwright - the option series that end in 00 or 50 (e.g. 4400, 4450, 4500 etc) are American style options, and can be assigned at anytime. This means that in the case of the 4400 puts, if the index spiked down, the buyer of the options you have sold could exercise them and demand that you deliver at 4400, which could be painful if the index has spiked down to 4300. Even more galling then if the market moves back up again above 4400 by expiry.

The series that end in 25 and 75 (4425, 4475, 4525 etc) are European style, and these can only be exercised at expiry. This means that if the index spikes down, the holder of the option can sell in the market, but cannot exercise them against the holder until expiry. In practice there is just a cash settlement for the difference between the strike price and the actual price if the options are still ITM. So if you are short but expect the position to pull back your way, you can hold on without having to worry about whether you are going to get assigned, and then get the expected move taking place after you have been "ejected" from the party.

HTH

Last edited:
Ive stopped myself out flat... things seem to be holding up here and its late in the day etc

Attachments

• ggrts.GIF
    ggrts.GIF
    37.1 KB · Views: 158
I was looking at your chart :cheesy:
Don't take me too seriously, it was only a quick look ;)
I'd prefer to see something start rather than sitting watching paint dry. I'm very short term though.