Forex on Updata TA

adrianallen99

Established member
Has anyone here tried to look at forex charts on Updata. Don't know if it is just me, but it is really badly done. Not only is the data incomplete with large chunks incorrect or missing, but also they have got some of the currency pairs the wrong way round.

I have mailed their support, I wonder what they say about it.

Hmm I've used their charts a while on forex and they always seem fine. There have been a couple of forex data outages in the last couple of days which might have something to do with it? These have been half an hour each but normally their service is OK.

If you've got gaps in yr data you might check to see your trading times are set correctly - from the right click menu on their system tray icon - set FOREX to open all day.

Also the feed is shut down and restarted overnight, you need to make sure it's set to restart itself immediately afterwards or you do lose loads of data.

Took me a while to realise this, I had to keep downloading the data from their webby for ages (right click download - they have all the usual timeframes )

Yes I use Updata for 24 hr Cable with trading/engine/reset times within the period midnight plus/minus 10 mins. Works OK although there can be data gaps (mainly overnight) from time to time. Not sure about other currency pairs. Couldn't find a way to get EU/USD data for example (possibly just me) but then I don't use it at the moment so haven't pursued it.

Regards

Thank you for your email.

We are aware of the problems with the FOREX feed. These issues have been taken up with our data supplier. We are also aware of their being several outages on this feed. We are looking at switching to a different FOREX feed, which will hopefully stop these outage problems. We are currently testing this, however we have no time scale for release.

As for the naming convention, we understand this is confusing. However this is the convention used by our supplier.

If you have particular problems with this please let us know and we will forward to our data supplier.

aa99
I was a UD customer for several years (and may be again). When they switched from a FM to an internet feed they originally used Comstock. This doesn't seem to be mentioned now. I do find it surprising that Comstock have these sort of issues - you may care to ask UD whose feed they use for forex (and for that matter everything else)

I will ask them, as this would be interesting. There are plenty of other providers of Forex data, I dont know why, if there current supplier is so bad, why they dont just change.

Volatile said:
Hmm I've used their charts a while on forex and they always seem fine. There have been a couple of forex data outages in the last couple of days which might have something to do with it? These have been half an hour each but normally their service is OK.

If you've got gaps in yr data you might check to see your trading times are set correctly - from the right click menu on their system tray icon - set FOREX to open all day.

Also the feed is shut down and restarted overnight, you need to make sure it's set to restart itself immediately afterwards or you do lose loads of data.

Took me a while to realise this, I had to keep downloading the data from their webby for ages (right click download - they have all the usual timeframes )

Where does it say FOREX on the system tray icon ? Can you lead me through the file paths please?

Also can anybody help me with the symbol for USD/CHF & EUR/USD on Updata.

Thanks

JayKay

Jaykay3

Forex (From the Message Centre or System Tray Icon)

1. Holidays & Trading times/ Edit Trading Times/ LSE/Forex

2. Real Time Feeds/Engine Times/Stop & Starts Feeds

Forex Symbols (From Quote Screen on Main Menu)

1. Quote Screen/Market Centres/LSE/Forex - this will give you the full list of instruments.

Or CHFUS and EURUS?

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Last edited:
Volatile said:

Firstly , thanks to Mayfly for the step by step guide re where to find the Forex in the Updata icon tray.

Secondly , how do I set the times for 24 hours as it does not seem to work when I put 08:00 to 08:00 ?

Regards

JayKay

Hi JK3,

You can set up the Forex trading times, as follows:

Click on the Updata tray icon
Go to Holidays & Trading Times
Edit Trading Times
Expand LSE and select Forex
Amend the Start & Stop Trading Times to Start - 00:01 and Stop - 23:59

Click on the Updata tray icon again
Real-time feeds, Engine Times and set the Start Feed to 00:01 and Stop feed to 23:59

That should do the business for you, but let me know via PM if it doesn’t? (There are too many threads on this board to follow really?)

Bear in mind that the Updata servers do not hold 24/5 interval data, but only for local trading times, i.e. LSE. That means you’ll need to have your machine running 24/5 to “capture” and store historical interval data outside LSE trading hours. That’s my understanding anyway, but it’s probably best to speak to Updata about this or put the question to them via their board on www.updata.co.uk/bbforum or call support on 0845 129 5144

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly