firewalls

RobcPettit

Hi, I have a dial up connection (no other option available) and I want to use a hardware firewall.
Ive looked at netgear and linksys. Both do a router aimed at broadband with dial up backup. This is were Im confussed, can anybody advise. Im thinking that I would have to by an additional dial up modem as it doesnt look like theres a connection to plug in my internal modem. I also looked at building my own using an old pc with smoothwall, here Im gessing that I would have to use the monitor also with the old pc. At the momment Ive linked two pcs with a belkin network switch which works well. I really want to go the hardware route, cheep as possible, can anybody suggest a way to do this with dial up connection
Regards Robert

Internet Connect Sharing in XP uses NAT which is what most firewalls do.

The market for harware firewalls is geared towards broadband. Providing you are not using USB devices then you will get little benefit from going the hardware route.

If you really want too, then a second hand Cisco Router can do the job via its auxillary port.

There are other options but non are cheap.

Can I suggest you get broadband!

JonnyT

Thankyou for your reply, unfortunatly because Im just over 5 miles from the Exchange I cannot get Broadband. To I take it then that Software is the best option for dialup.
Regards Robert

RobcPettit said:
Thankyou for your reply, unfortunatly because Im just over 5 miles from the Exchange I cannot get Broadband. To I take it then that Software is the best option for dialup.
Regards Robert
10km ADSL role out will happen soon (not soon enough in my opinion - but thats another story).

Thats because most of the copper cable out there dates prior to WWII and a lot is even older.

Another problem is that they used to add inductance to the copper pairs to extend the reach of voice. This acts as a low pass filter which is not good for ADSL. (low pass filter effectively)

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the inductors have been left in at various distribution points....

When I installed broadband modems the precursor to ADSL in the late 80s many reach problems were easily remedied by doubling up the pairs. BT could given capacity do this is they wanted.

JonnyT