Windows XP SP2 - 56kbps Dial-up modem connection problem

JTrader

Hi

I have again installed XP SP2 and it has again reduced the connection speed of my PC.

Previously my dial-up modem was able to connect at 52.0 kbps, since installing SP2 the connection spees has become 31.2 kbps.

The reason seems to be because SP2 changes the modem/driver from "Generic Softk 56" to "SoftV92 Data Fax Modem."

I have tried a few things to revert back to "Generic Softk 56" but when I tried to connect using the same COM port (3) as used by "SoftV92 Data Fax Modem" there was no connection. In any case, after reverting back to "Generic SoftK 56" when I shut down/restarted my PC, it switched back to "SoftV92 Data Fax Modem."

Is the idea that this new driver/modem will be better than the previous one?

What the heck is going on :confused: :?: Has anyone come up against and been able to solve this problem yet? If so, how?

Surely Microsoft are aware of this problem. I would have expected them to fix it by now.

I have checked my PCI card modem and it says "conexant" "HSFI" "CX11252-11" "E270799.1" "0238" on its chipset?

Many thanks

jtrader.

Hi

Also

I did not actually get a modem driver installation CD with the PC so cannot try this option.

What are my other options? As a last resort, would the main one be to buy a new modem - and how likely is this to fix the problem?

.............Or as another final resort should I get rid of XP SP2?

Cheers

jtrader.

You might check your modem driver. I've heard that SP2 changes the driver. If so, it might be necessary to upgrade or rollback to the original.

If you let me know the make and model of your ,modem I'll try and get the latest driver for it.

You should be able to roll back the driver aswell.

Have you not heard of broadband ;o)

JonnyT

Thanks chaps

I ran this identity check on the Conexant website and it seemed to identify the modem as an "HSF churchill data/fax"

Besides the Conexant chipset on the modem circuit board, there are not any other names that seem to identify the modem.

It says "conexant" "HSFI" "CX11252-11" "E270799.1" "0238" on its chipset.

The two numbers displayed on the modem circuit board are -

P/N C10211089-HP156SP11

Trying to find modem drivers on the web has so far proved a tough task

Thanks again

jtrader.

Last edited:
ps. If i do get a driver for my modem, or a new 56k modem, will SP2 keep updating the driver every time the PC is switched off, as has been the case with the Windows XP Generic Softk56 so far?

The info on the Microsoft website said that before installing SP2 - get your Windows XP fully updated at Windows Update - which, I did. Is SP2 a "critical" update?

Or is it optional, meaning that Windows can still manage well without it?

I have not heard from anyone who doesn't think SP2 is trouble.

If it is critical, why did MS not make it less problematic than it is?

Cheers

jtrader.

Last edited:
jtrader said:
ps. If i do get a driver for my modem, or a new 56k modem, will SP2 keep updating the driver every time the PC is switched off, as has been the case with the Windows XP Generic Softk56 so far?

The info on the Microsoft website said that before installing SP2 - get your Windows XP fully updated at Windows Update - which, I did. Is SP2 a "critical" update?

Or is it optional, meaning that Windows can still manage well without it?

I have not heard from anyone who doesn't think SP2 is trouble.

If it is critical, why did MS not make it less problematic than it is?

Cheers

jtrader.
Well I've installed SP2 on 100s of machines now without a hitch other than the Firewall sometimes needing adjustment.

The short answer is that SP2 is critical as you will not get any more critical updates if you do not install SP2.

Get yourself broadband or purchase a decent external modem if you still have problems.

Have you tried onspeed?

JonnyT

Hi

I've tried installing a couple of drivers from www.driverguide.com and it would seem that you can install them but SP2 immediately prevents you from using it by upgrading to the later SoftV92 Data Fax Modem.

Therefore I do not know whether it would be worthwhile purchasing a new dial-up modem and driver - because the same problem may occur? :confused:

Cheers

jtrader

I've never heard of XP updating a driver after you installed it.......

If you install a Driver XP will leave it well alone until you decide otherwise.

Have you got a trojan?

JonnyT

I've never heard of XP updating a driver after you installed it.......

If you install a Driver XP will leave it well alone until you decide otherwise.

Have you got a trojan?

JonnyT

Thanks JT.

Thats what seems to be happening, SP2 changes the modem/driver from "Generic Softk 56" to "SoftV92 Data Fax Modem." This is the Conexant driver. I am almost sure that while this same driver was an optional update in Windows Update, i installed it about 6 months ago and then removed it, because it also reduced the connection speed to 31.2-33.6kbps back then.

.........Its a shame that you cannot uninstall individual components from SP2.

Is it the case that you will need a specific driver for a specific PCI card modem/modem chipset :?:

I ran a virus (AVG 7.0), spyware (Spybot, SpywareBlaster) and adware (Ad-Aware) check before and after installing SP2, and got the all clear both times.

I am not an expert on trojans. Can you recommend a good free trojan scanner :?:

Thanks again

jtrader.

Last edited:
Hi

BTW - I have just added Spyware Doctor 3.1 to my arsenal of spyware tools. It looks good, provides good detail about found objects, and it scans quickly. It found 272 new objects :eek: :!:
..........Just goes to show that a combination of several anti spyware programs are needed.

jtrader.

James,

Are you not able to do a complete and clean install ? That way you would avoid many of these issues in my view. I also had issues with SP2 until I did a clean install and then immediately update to SP2 and I have had no issues since doing so. It is also possible to get a CD of SP2 which was being given out FOC by the likes of PC World and may still be available.

Paul

Problem solved

Thanks Paul

I did install SP2 from a CD.

The good news is the problem is now fixed :!:
I found A CD within the bundle that came with my PC - that does afterall have modem drivers on it, under "D:\Driver" - i installed a driver that has restored full connection speed. My modem is now recognised as "SoftK56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP".

I now consider SP2 the best thing since sliced bread ;)

Cheers guys

jtrader.