Find out why 90% of all traders lose and 10% win

The statistics is not entirely correct:
10% of traders win
85% of traders fail
Remaining 5% fail in trading, but then make a fortune selling strategies.

big_trader said:
It may seem strange but 90% of all traders loose because they lack the resources the 10% of all winning traders have.

Yeah, well, I doubt any consistent winner relies on some dumb a**e web site, just log in and ring the register, nice and easy. :rolleyes:

I've used a couple of supposed high performance futures live advisory services, alongside my own systems, I beat them consistently. Their income is seriously subsidised from the subscriptions. They don't worry too much if their own account balance doesn't expand, just so long as they get new wannabee traders who aren't prepared to put the work in.

The only resource you need is a good brain. At least 99% lack that. :p

roguetrader said:
"Dear" or "cheap" is a fundamental concept and really has no place in intraday trading. At the height of a bull market it would be difficult to make a case for very many stocks being "cheap" that would suggest that you could only trade on the short side. Does a daytrader going long on GOOG for a trade think it's cheap? I doubt it. So to say that's "what intraday is all about" is grossly misleading. But as you say each to his own.

"Nevertheless, to consider that a share is dear and short it so as to make a profit in a day, which is what intraday is all about"

What I meant was that the object of the exercise is to make a profit in a day. That is what intraday is all about. "Dear" and "cheap" are just words used to express one's consideration of whether the stock should be long or short . I don't think that the choice of words makes a lot of difference to the final decision of the trader on how he is going to trade.

However, when I said "buy" property, I did not mean "trade" it, as Paul and Chump have assumed. I meant hanging on to it for an unspecified amount of time.

Split

Split...

"You can't be serious"...oh but I am, I most certainly am..show me a prat who doesn't know what he is doing and why he is doing it and I will show you someone who can lose money in ANY risk related financial activity..as I say "liquidity" apart the basic 'skill' set will determine success or failure...not the instrument...I see you are in Spain so please tell me the difference between the 1000's of people currently experiencing problems with their Spanish property investment and the 1000's of people who take up trading and likewise get 'wiped out' ...very little IMO...in either case they did not get the experience/knowledge (resources) they needed BEFORE they put their money on the line

There are a whole host of physical & 'psychological' reasons why your view of property seems to be the flavour of the month...let's see if it still remains the flavour of the month over the next few years and no I am not forecasting doom for the property market .I am simply expressing the obvious that what goes up dramatically can go down in the same way..with property the UK has not had a great deal of experience with that event ,but assume it won't and you are committing exactly the same mistake the investors in equities made in the late 90's ....fact ,this is all a numbers game if you can take yourself and your prejudices out of the mix..

Even people in their 30s can feel old when they realize that some of the people trading online now weren't even born during the real estate bubble of the 80s . . . :(

serfdom

Hybrid Thread

I’ll tell you the difference. The Real Estate speculators are in debt!
chump said:
tell me the difference between the ... people currently experiencing problems with their ... property investment and the ... people who take up trading and likewise get 'wiped out'

"I’ll tell you the difference. The Real Estate speculators are in debt!".......LOL ...fair point ,but with the leaverage widely available I would hazard to guess that a fair few 'traders' are paying off their 'trading' experience !

chump said:
Split...

"You can't be serious"...oh but I am, I most certainly am..show me a prat who doesn't know what he is doing and why he is doing it and I will show you someone who can lose money in ANY risk related financial activity..as I say "liquidity" apart the basic 'skill' set will determine success or failure...not the instrument...I see you are in Spain so please tell me the difference between the 1000's of people currently experiencing problems with their Spanish property investment and the 1000's of people who take up trading and likewise get 'wiped out' ...very little IMO...in either case they did not get the experience/knowledge (resources) they needed BEFORE they put their money on the line

There are a whole host of physical & 'psychological' reasons why your view of property seems to be the flavour of the month...let's see if it still remains the flavour of the month over the next few years and no I am not forecasting doom for the property market .I am simply expressing the obvious that what goes up dramatically can go down in the same way..with property the UK has not had a great deal of experience with that event ,but assume it won't and you are committing exactly the same mistake the investors in equities made in the late 90's ....fact ,this is all a numbers game if you can take yourself and your prejudices out of the mix..

Hi Chump,

I can't argue with your views over what a prat will do with his money but you seem to have got a bee in your bonnet over property, in general. I left the UK in 1965 and sold my house for GBP 5,500. My father's house was sold in 1984 for GBP 53,000. It was an old Victorian which he bought in 1947 for -hold it- 1,500! It would surely be no surprise to me, or anyone here to know that those houses are well into six figures today. If property does not appeal to you as an investment I still say- you can't be serious. It is not the only investment, of course, even someone putting a few thousand into the F&C Investment Trust then and saving a few pounds per month would be a millionaire today.
As for Spain, much the same has happened here.

Anyway, none of this has got anything to do with daytrading and I'm sorry that I mentioned property in the first place! Please accept my apologies, everyone. You most of all , Chump!

Split

Dirt

Hybrid Thread

A friend asked me yesterday. “What is the best way to bury money?” I answered, “buy Real Estate,” (raw land).
Splitlink said:
Anyway, none of this has got anything to do with daytrading
Who cares about day gambling?

In your example a house was bought for the value of a house. It was sold for the value of a house. Where is the gain. What you want to do is buy a new Porsche and sell it for the value of ten new Porsche’s. Looks to me like most Real Estate is just adjusting for inflation and calling it gains. Nothing was gained. You could buy one house then, you can buy one house now.
Splitlink said:
I'm sorry that I mentioned property in the first place!
You did however “ Make Money,” assuming that there were no other expenses during the term of stewardship. Not that your new money will buy anything. Don’t be sorry, in the United States we teach kids in kindergarten that they should own land. You don’t think they would lie to children do you?

Spit,
No problem..but just to explain..I have been playing around in property for nearly 30 years and you could rightly say for most of that time I have been 'bullish' ,but over that time I have never sat back and assumed this stuff can only go up let's sit on it...in other words I have bought and sold to varying degrees always leaving a part of my asset value in there that I was happy with ,but always taking money and banking it. My argument here is simply that this approach is no different whether I apply it to property or any other instrument.. It's a question of risk and in that sense I say property is no different to any other financial instrument...the problem is though that people are still not seeing that they are falling into the trap that your property statement alludes to and so I guess in another generation we are going to have yet another crowd of people bleating that their long term investments were 'missold' or similar when in fact they mismanaged their risk.

LOL...Mr Gold that's a lovely wicked sense of humour ;)

Why 90% lose

Most lose because traders take advantage of points where the majority are at risk i.e they push prices past everyone's stops.

The "Short Squeeze" methodology of trading is a very popular method used by the hedge funds to achieve this. Whether investors are right or wrong about the direction of the shares - fundamentally or technically.

dbphoenix said:
Actually, I'm more interested in why 90% (apparently) of all traders can't spell "lose" . . . :)

Given the general illiteracy of the website ("uncanning accuracy"?), I'd be cautious.

Last edited:
chump said:
Spit,
No problem..but just to explain..I have been playing around in property for nearly 30 years and you could rightly say for most of that time I have been 'bullish' ,but over that time I have never sat back and assumed this stuff can only go up let's sit on it...in other words I have bought and sold to varying degrees always leaving a part of my asset value in there that I was happy with ,but always taking money and banking it. My argument here is simply that this approach is no different whether I apply it to property or any other instrument.. It's a question of risk and in that sense I say property is no different to any other financial instrument...the problem is though that people are still not seeing that they are falling into the trap that your property statement alludes to and so I guess in another generation we are going to have yet another crowd of people bleating that their long term investments were 'missold' or similar when in fact they mismanaged their risk.

LOL...Mr Gold that's a lovely wicked sense of humour ;)

I'm beginning to wonder whether future generations will have get used to renting.
It looks like quite a different ball game. In Spain, we are talking about 30 sq.metre apartments and the down payment is appalling for young people to find. No wonder that they do not marry and still live at home!

Glad we're friends! You had me worried for a while!

Split

Split..
I was posting a view..none of my comments were aimed at you in a personal sense..

Splitlink said:
I'm beginning to wonder whether future generations will have get used to renting.
It looks like quite a different ball game. In Spain, we are talking about 30 sq.metre apartments and the down payment is appalling for young people to find. No wonder that they do not marry and still live at home!

Glad we're friends! You had me worried for a while!

Split

I am amazed at how a married couple with maybe children could live in a 30sq.m apartment, I used to live in Spain in a 90sq.m apt and I never thought that was very big, I think something like 120sq.m would be ideal.