Evening trading US shares

Hi Peet

You know what I'm gonna say, get Tradestation. Has been very reliable lately, plus it's massive functionality and scanner.

PB

Anything I can help with, just email me.
Richard

PS Already had a good day with ESLR pre-market :)

Hi Richard,

I was watching ESLR as well, but I have a rule not to trade pre-market. It was very very tempting though:cool:.

Yesterday I traded BTU break down at 74.28 taking on average 70 cent and I traded FRO on the break down 63.70 and bought it back at 63.35. They were really controlled trades. I missed the next rundown of BTU, but hell you can't get them all. I also did KO at the high 59, but I was stopped out.

But overall I was happy with the way I traded the plan, and of course I made some money. :LOL:

cheers thevinman

Hi Guys,

I have tried Tradestation for a week and it did not work out the way I hoped for. It has the same lagging problems in T&S and charts as in esignal, so I will stick to esignal for a while.

Cheers,

thevinman

Stop profits placement

Hi Guys,

I was wondering about stop profit placement on a NYSe stock. A part of my trading is to follow level 1. I use it to precision my entry. I also place stop profits, if I think the trend is coming to an end. My question is: Does my stop profit placement have effect in the orderbook?

Kind regards,

thevinman

Hi Guys,

I have tried Tradestation for a week and it did not work out the way I hoped for. It has the same lagging problems in T&S and charts as in esignal, so I will stick to esignal for a while.

Cheers,

thevinman

Hi

Interested to note you have had problem with price lag in esignal. I now have to cross check the IB price on TWS back to esignal market depth to make sure that the price I am trying to trade is the actual price, if i see a difference I tend to not take the trade.

I did have this problem when I was trading in New Zealand while on hoilday but have noticed it happening quite frequently (just recently) while trading in the UK.

You reckon that Tradestation no better? I wonder if volatility in some stocks is the cause?

Cheers

T

P.,
No

A.,
I doubt it.
I had similar problems with eSignal for a very brief period, but it was solved by closing and re-launching. I assume it was a server problem. I haven't had any such problems recently.

NVDA looks promising today. I shall be watching for any opportunities pre-market too.

Richard.

TheBramble has an interesting thread:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/first-steps/33731-thebramble-s-trading-201-a.html

Whilst many of his statements are correct, there are exceptions and things which are debatable.
He suggests that people should not trade the open and I've commented on some exceptions on his thread.
Today there were two examples very soon after the open when there were very profitable opportunities - tbc
Richard

The following is a screen shot of some posts I made elsewhere on the web, the first ones before market open. The site is private and by invitation only. I am not "advertising" it. I include the image so that anyone reading this can see that such potential opportunities are available and can be found.
Richard

Attachments

• NNTS extract 080708.GIF
    NNTS extract 080708.GIF
    42 KB · Views: 262
The images were taken at the time of exiting the trades. The red cross hairs are the place and time of the entries.
I feel these images support my view and my experience that trading very shortly after the open can be very profitable if done properly.
Richard

Attachments

• 080708ENER.GIF
    080708ENER.GIF
    23.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 080708ODP.GIF
    080708ODP.GIF
    21.3 KB · Views: 259
Nice trades Richard.

Appreciate your comments on the other thread and your views.

You've stated 'trading very shortly after the open can be very profitable if done properly'. The key point for me in relation to trading the Open is summed up in those last three words.

I know this particular strategy is one of your key trading manouvres and your expertise with it has been honed over many years, but without the experience and the knowledge to identify, prepare and execute such trades, the dabbler is predestined for failure, in my view.

Tony,
I've addressed your reservations about beginners on your thread.
Of course all dabblers, almost by definition, are predestined for failure. That's why most would be traders fail. They think it's dead easy and they can just dabble in it without knowledge, work, effort and self-discipline
Richard

I'm a beginner in the sense of proven profitability, although I've been staring at charts for several years and traded on and off in stocks and futures in different time frames. I can sympathise with those who are 'so close yet so far' from finding consistency in their success. I think that this is a business which requires many diverse talents, some of them conflicting and almost paradoxical. I'd just like to say thanks to all those on this thread who obviously have much to offer and give their time generously. Muchísimo gracias.

A question about the lunchtime 'lull' in trading (around 5-7 GMT). If trading a mean reversion strategy or taking advantage of a directionless phase in the market, would this period offer a good opportunity? Or would limited volume create its own problems?

A question about the lunchtime 'lull' in trading (around 5-7 GMT). If trading a mean reversion strategy or taking advantage of a directionless phase in the market, would this period offer a good opportunity? Or would limited volume create its own problems?

During the lunch time the volume shrinks and one should only scalp fast, Statistically speaking , you are better off to walk away from a LOW volume consolidation period .
The problem with low volume is that all oscillators get to OB or OS with not much price movement or relatively a LOW ATR which means before the instrument gains momentum it loses momentum due to one of the time frame opposing the MOVE.

Look at the consolidation period as a game of SNAKEs AND LADDERS. There are too many snakes ( TIME FRAMES ) to bite you and send u back to where u started.. High volume is like wearing a ANTI BITE shoes to play the game.

I have a LIVE TRADING seminar on paltalk in AUG and since u are a member of Technical Trader you can join the seminar and i will explain it all in action ,, We have had three 8 hours seminars with around 50 of best traders on this BB so we can defend and iron out our arguments with examples during the market open period .
Grey1

Yes, I see that now. The added dangers counteract the benefit of a ranging market and I suppose widening spreads increase the chance of being bitten even more. Thanks for the seminar invite Grey1, it would be a real honor to attend. I'm not familiar with the Paltalk logistics, should I download the software and register to gain access to the event?

Yes, I see that now. The added dangers counteract the benefit of a ranging market and I suppose widening spreads increase the chance of being bitten even more. Thanks for the seminar invite Grey1, it would be a real honor to attend. I'm not familiar with the Paltalk logistics, should I download the software and register to gain access to the event?

you have to down load it. It is free . The room is called Technical Trader . For further details please read here http://www.trade2win.com/boards/technical-trader/35014-live-trading-grey1-monthly-members-only.html

The last 3 seminars was about using cycle analysis intra day with a DAILY target of $1000 ( capital $ 30 000 ) . I demonstrated how cycle analysis can effectively be used to make $$$ easily with out any use of classical TA. The after seminar comments from the present traders in the room on Technical Trader BB can testify the effectiveness of such a technique.

Grey1

Friday 25th July 2008 - BIIB Watching

Not much happening today for me - yet!
Is anyone looking at BIIB? It's sitting on support at $70.00 and am looking to go short if it breaks down below the current low of 69.88.
Tim.

I have been taking Long trades only.
I can't find anything to trade - long or short! Boring as hell today! I guess you think the market is oversold - hope you're wrong! I've been short BIIB and HON for two hours now (my only trades today) and in that time they've gone nowhere!
Tim.