Email providers

trendie

Legendary member
My Virginmedia email has stopped working. (last Tues)
the virginmedia people say they are looking into it.
email complaints to them come to nothing.
phone calls are pointless. (vague, non-committal responses about "things being looked into", "aware of problem, will be fixed as soon as possible", etc).

I cant send an email to my account (as test), and cant send from it, as I get "error: cant write to Sent folder")

so thats buggered.
I have even asked if they could redirect them to another email account, but apparently they cant. WHAT!! Wont rant about mirror-servers, redundant systems, and back-ups.
:mad::mad:

I need recommendations for new email service that is better.
And robust enough that redirects can be an option.
This is a real pain, as most of my subscriptions, financial statements, etc, come through it.

What can cause data, emails, etc, to become corrupted/damaged to the point that there isnt a back-up or alternative delivery route?

thanks.

while I am thinking about it, are there any security issues with things like yahoo or gmail??
esp when you consider paypal receipts, credit card payment receipts I tend to hold in emails.

want an account that is less easy to hack. (unless I download emails to my machine)

I tend to use "webmail" type accounts so I can access them anywhere, and in case my PC dies on me (again)

while I am thinking about it, are there any security issues with things like yahoo or gmail??
esp when you consider paypal receipts, credit card payment receipts I tend to hold in emails.

want an account that is less easy to hack. (unless I download emails to my machine)

I tend to use "webmail" type accounts so I can access them anywhere, and in case my PC dies on me (again)

G mail m8.

Best Iv'e had

Waitrose Internet and Zen always get excellent reviews from Which!.

Which! is one of the few magazines you can trust now especially as many articles in all the others are marketing in disguie. I pay for an expensive BT Office connection and it's very good, a few minor problems over 5 years.

But if I changed I'd go with Waitrose of Zen for sure.

My Virginmedia email has stopped working. (last Tues)
the virginmedia people say they are looking into it.
email complaints to them come to nothing.
phone calls are pointless. (vague, non-committal responses about "things being looked into", "aware of problem, will be fixed as soon as possible", etc).

I cant send an email to my account (as test), and cant send from it, as I get "error: cant write to Sent folder")

so thats buggered.
I have even asked if they could redirect them to another email account, but apparently they cant. WHAT!! Wont rant about mirror-servers, redundant systems, and back-ups.
:mad::mad:

I need recommendations for new email service that is better.
And robust enough that redirects can be an option.
This is a real pain, as most of my subscriptions, financial statements, etc, come through it.

What can cause data, emails, etc, to become corrupted/damaged to the point that there isnt a back-up or alternative delivery route?

thanks.

TRY UKMAILEXCHANGE.COM .... YOU HAVE TO BUY A WEB NAME/SITE AT AROUND £25 PA...BUT YOU DO GET A PRIVATE EMAIL NAME THAT YOU WANT ([email protected] /AAA@AAA .CO.UK etc...) THERE SYSTEM IS OK . ESPECIALLY FILTERING, AND ALL THE USUAL WRITTING AND RECEIVING SPECIFICS. ALSO "POP MAIL FORWARDING" AND CAN BE ACCESSED FROM ANYWHERE WORLDWIDE.

Last edited:
Switch to Gmail. There is nothing better. ISP mailboxes are for beginners I'm afraid.

I use Hotmail & gmail - both very convenient and trouble+cost free. Gmail has good options for forwarding and working alias accounts.

Work on the basis that neither is completely secure and you won't go far wrong.

thanks for all replies.
have got googlemail.
(turned out that there was a 22Meg email that was clogging up my 30Meg max webmail account. googlemail allows 7Gig, so that wont happen again!)

problem solved.

yahoo email has unlimited storage. Plus they have an 'address guard' feature which I think is the best internet invention ever.

Sounds like there is something wrong with your mail agent (is it Outlook ?).

You might try another mail agent such as Mozilla Thunderbird. You will need to configure it for your current service (ie setup the incoming - pop3 - and outgoing - smtp - mail servers. Also your email address and password.

Last edited: