Dow Jones 17000?! - Time to short big?

This may sound silly but what is stopping the price from just constantly growing? Is there a limit?

One day we'll run out of either zeros or papers to print zeros on.

Where will we be then?

Doomy - is there something your not telling us. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29313880

Gambler's £900,000 Scotland referendum bet

An anonymous businessman who bet £900,000 on Scotland remaining part of the UK has spoken to BBC Radio 2's Jeremy Vine.

The man, who took home £1,093,333.33, said that the bet was not a feckless gamble.

Doomberg better brace himself. The people that control this market are looking for a strong monthly close, The bulk of the move will likely happen today and tomorrow. It used to be called window dressing.

Doomberg better brace himself. The people that control this market are looking for a strong monthly close, The bulk of the move will likely happen today and tomorrow. It used to be called window dressing.

Did the people who control this market ring you up and tell you that personally, or are you guessing just like the rest of us?

Did the people who control this market ring you up and tell you that personally, or are you guessing just like the rest of us?

based on many many years experience I can tell you it is very likely. many factors point to this happening.

one factor is that retail street money has been heavily short the US indices over the last month. Both IG and CMC give us a breakdown of the street money. Still plenty of people wanting to short a mid stage bull market. ;)

Thousands if not millions of mug punters have been shorting every round number for years while the pros just scoop up the cash lying on the floor

Thousands if not millions of mug punters have been shorting every round number for years while the pros just scoop up the cash lying on the floor

Well the one 'Mug' punter who started this thread took 'em for over 100 large. :clap:

Well the one 'Mug' punter who started this thread took 'em for over 100 large. :clap:

I just read the thread from the start. I didnt realise the OP rinsed IG for 100k, wow, much respect to him for doing so he must have cast iron balls. I have never traded over £100pp at a bucketshop. £750pp on the Dow thats the equivalent of around 250 YM contracts. what a legend.

The monetary value while impressive, is pretty much irrelevant. Would you be giving someone else who made £100 at £1pp the same respect? The market doesn't go straight up, any mug punter can make 50 points tossing a coin.

If he'd gone long £750pp a few years ago and forgot about it, he would have a few million quid by now!

The monetary value while impressive, is pretty much irrelevant. Would you be giving someone else who made £100 at £1pp the same respect? The market doesn't go straight up, any mug punter can make 50 points tossing a coin.

If he'd gone long £750pp a few years ago and forgot about it, he would have a few million quid by now!

I think the money is 'THE' most relevant thing.
Were all here for the money!

PS Dont try the coin tossing thing with him, he gets upset :LOL:

sure we dont know doomberg's capital position or his overall performance stats. just like in a prop firm you have people clipping 5 lots, others 10,20s, larger trades doing 100s and 1000s at the pinnacle. if bill gates dropped a 2000 lot on the spoos we would hardly call that ballsy as to him that is pocket change if he loses 50 ticks. All things being equal anyone who trades £750pp does have some cahunas on them though, respect to him for calling it and posting it.

If you want to short the US indices but you're not willing to call the top on a massive directional bet, why not run a pairs trade being long FTSE or something?
FTSE is near enough a heavily range bound index with major resistance at 6900. Alternatively long the Nikkei, that has some growing room I'd say.