Dow Question

gulam

Hi Guys,

I wanted to know if anyone knew why on Yahoo, Excite, Big charts, the Lowest point of the dow Jones on any particular day is different to the ones that other trading software offer.

For example, 8th July the lowest the dow went was 10,171, but on other financial websites such as Yahoo finance it says it went down to 10,150. But on Friday, the dow didn't go down below the open price.
I find this the same for a lot of other trading days. Am I missing something here?

Also does anyone know if there is any other Stock broker out there that will allow me trade the dow according to the prices that are shown on Yahoo, excite and big charts, because if you use thier prices, there is a pattern that I have spotted.

Please let me know.

Thanks

gulam said:
Hi Guys,

I wanted to know if anyone knew why on Yahoo, Excite, Big charts, the Lowest point of the dow Jones on any particular day is different to the ones that other trading software offer.

For example, 8th July the lowest the dow went was 10,171, but on other financial websites such as Yahoo finance it says it went down to 10,150. But on Friday, the dow didn't go down below the open price.
I find this the same for a lot of other trading days. Am I missing something here?

Also does anyone know if there is any other Stock broker out there that will allow me trade the dow according to the prices that are shown on Yahoo, excite and big charts, because if you use thier prices, there is a pattern that I have spotted.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi Gulam

Normally when these types of price discrepancies are investigated it comes down to whether the data provider is calculating the index themselves or using values published by the index provider. If the index provider only calculates the index level every minute from the prices of the constituents, while your data provider calculates them ever second, then it is possible for the two indexes to show different highs / lows. I guess that the data providers are saving costs by calculating the levels themselves.

As to your other question, I very much doubt it but someone else can answer better than me.

Cheers

Stew

Hi Stew,

I appreciate if you do minute and seconds comparasion the figures can be different. But when you look at the figures at the end of the trading day or week, non of the low's of the trading days match. If not too much of a trouble, can you give me the low points of your trading system for the dow on the 6, 7, 8 and 9th of July. Your assistence is much appreciated.

Thanks

gulam said:
Hi Stew,

I appreciate if you do minute and seconds comparasion the figures can be different. But when you look at the figures at the end of the trading day or week, non of the low's of the trading days match. If not too much of a trouble, can you give me the low points of your trading system for the dow on the 6, 7, 8 and 9th of July. Your assistence is much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Gulam

In MyTrack I have:

6th 10191.55
7th 10201.43
8th 10166.25
9th 10174.07

If the majority of stocks in the Dow all hit their day low between the recalculation periods then the lows for the day could show up as being different.

Hope this helps

Stew

Last edited:
gulam said:
Hi Guys,

Please let me know.

Thanks

Are you taking the Yahoo figure from the historical prices ? If yes, they show the lowest low and the highest high. ie use the lowest price each of the shares in the index reached on the day and the highest price rea\ched on the day. This is not the same as the low/high the index reached at any given time.

Regards

bracke