Dow Intraday Charts 11 Oct - 15 Oct

Hi,
Just a quickie. Wasn't able to contribute to thread last week.
Results as Dow points, Monday (0), Tuesday (+244.5), Wednesday (0), Thursday (73), Friday (97.5).
Total for week; +415; Weekly average over 4 weeks; +344.
4 positions were closed on Tuesday from previous week.
A different 4 positions are carried over from last week to this week so far -32.

Now to admit the problems. I'm sure the experienced traders wouldn't have made the mistakes I made last week. It's not really about trading style but rather the support systems and utilities we use.
Last week, I thought I'd be clever and tried to add-in an analogue modem as back-up to adsl. Failed, due to a combination of problematic modem with multiple repeat attempts (uninstall, reinstall) etc. Should have used a stop-loss, but I was a man possessed. I updated all the subsystems, played with SP2 etc. etc. Predictable result? ... the blue screen of death. Only then did I remember that I hadn't got round to backing up my encrypted data, program copies, settings et al. Not such a problem (I thought) as I had them in a different partition. So, I bravely carried on ... and reinstalled Windows XP Pro. See the problem? ... well I didn't until it was too late. My files were unusable because I needed an encryption key or certificate to read them on a different Windows installation or machine. Of course, when I encrypted the files, I didn't know that I should make a copy of these esoteric items. The end result? I was totally screwed. No data, no Excel spread sheets which I'd programmed extensively, no passwords. Aaaaaaaargh.

In addition, I had positions open which I couldn't follow properly. Maybe because I take a more medium term stance it turned out OK, in fact I made money on the days I wasn't trading. Quite a few anxious moments though. Says a lot for my daily skill, doesn't it?

I know I've not mentioned EW, MV, or TA but I hope you agree my story is relevant, indeed heart-rending!

Anway, all's more or less up and running after quite a few late nights.:)

And this is a new week.

Good luck to everyone.

Regards,

Graham.

Last edited:
HI

What a naff day. [are we allowed to say 'naff' on T2W? :confused: ]

A day when everyones patience is tested and I failed my test miserably, finally cracking just after 7:00pm with a rather silly short. B was a bit more sensible but only just. Price had reached 100ema +15 and rule 1 but it was after 8:00pm so broke rule 7. It all came good in the end as I managed to close one for +7 and the other at BE. [or should that be -4, +11?]

Anyway no complaints with +7 today.

Regards

Bill :)

+-15 ema Rules are

1. Short if price crosses 100ema and touches/crosses 100ema+15
2. Long if price crosses 100ema and touches 100ema-15.
3. Short if nd and price is 100ema +15 [or v close]
4. Long if pd and price is 100ema -15 [or v close]
5. Don't trade in the 1st hour
6. Stop losses above/below obvious SR
7. Don't open a trade in the last hour

Attachments

• dow_111004.gif
    dow_111004.gif
    27.7 KB · Views: 425
Steve- just goes to show I know naff all :( I thought the only thing that happened over in the US was the DOW.

I don't get it... Someone told me it was a holiday day today in the US.I was out all day anyway and only just got back so no charts anyway tonight - too late.

Well, I believed you CM, so I took the day off.........!

Didn't miss much fortunately....... :(

(probably would have scored two stopouts and a 10 point win....... ;))

ChartMan said:
I don't get it... Someone told me it was a holiday day today in the US.I was out all day anyway and only just got back so no charts anyway tonight - too late.
Can certainly tell you weren't in the market CM - no big moves at all!

Hi guy's My firsts post, what I want to know. Does anyone make money from this game. Because I lost a ton. :eek:

Monday 11th October 2004

I've added the 34 ema (orange) as a proxy for the 100 ema on the 1 minute chart and will start watching to see which (if either) is most valid for showing the trend in this time frame.

9:51 1) S 10067. First pullback from 100 ema. Going absolutely no where. Perhaps the clue was that we are below the 100 ema but above the 34 ema? Will hold for a clear exit.
10:21 EXIT: -5 on RSI TLB up. Had many opportunities to get out for b/e or a little better but kept hoping it was going to come good.

13:01 Taking flat to an new extreme - 25 point range so far today. A series of potential long triggers on higher lows in the CCI above the 100 ema after 1pm but I am not going to take anything here until there is some real action.

15:05 Finally some upside movement. And a new HOD. Now we've had a thirty point range with less than an hour left in the day! No upside follow through.

15:40 20 minutes left and still no decent movement. 30 point range for the entire day so far. That's it for me today.

-5 from 1.

-6 for day after commission.

What a rubbish day.

Attachments

• 20041011.jpg
    20041011.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 274
I doubt there's anyone who hasn't lost a shed load one way or another... But here, we get on top of things and try to sort each others problems.Most seem to get over the losses stage and move on.So we all benefit.

Well, the triangle that will decide the way forward after the 9 month long consolidation is still under construction and the index is clearly ‘winding up’ for hopefully a major trending move, when a decisive break from the range is made…

As mentioned previously, this year has apparently seen the Dow in its tightest range for 75 years…..

CM has mentioned the magic expression “shed load” which always gives me the opportunity to show off my shed………..and it’s true the level of the load goes up and down, but mainly up these days thanks to using tight stops and letting the winners runnnnnnnnnnnnnn……… :cheesy:

Attachments

• 12-10-04.gif
    12-10-04.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 321
  • shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 257
TS - the extension seems to be coming along nicely.

Have you used the Golden Ratio in the roof design?

...no Fibs now...

Looks like something I built ;) .... anyone out there take it for £500 pcm ..no refs under the circumstances.

Hi

This type of day nearly always catches me out. What appeared to be sideways day morphed into positive sentiment as the oil price slipped. [get it? Oil ! - slip !] Oh well. There was only one channel indicator at A which did go into profit a couple of times but was stopped out as the price rocketed. I was tempted with the nd around 8:00 near 10100 but decided against it as the move seemed too strong. I did not see any TA to suggest the big move was about to come, tri's or flags etc. I'll wait for the guvnor's analysis to see if I did miss something :)

So -22 today

Regards

Bill

+-15 ema Rules are

1. Short if price crosses 100ema and touches/crosses 100ema+15
2. Long if price crosses 100ema and touches 100ema-15.
3. Short if nd and price is 100ema +15 [or v close]
4. Long if pd and price is 100ema -15 [or v close]
5. Don't trade in the 1st hour
6. Stop losses above/below obvious SR
7. Don't open a trade in the last hour

Attachments

• dow_121004.gif
    dow_121004.gif
    26.8 KB · Views: 205
Here's the plan of where the cash is, you just need the location.

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 210
Here's the chart, but I've lost the plot. Working too hard. :eek:

Attachments

• dow 12-10-04 10.gif
    dow 12-10-04 10.gif
    252.4 KB · Views: 230
Plenty oh help to get the break- a triangle, SR Switch, Target T1 easily met , flies through 64.The perpendicular to the triangle apex shows how the ideal theoratical triangle breakout should reach it's final value.In this case, well beyond T1.So was there a theoretical target T2 at 090 that I've missed????

Attachments

• dow 12-10-04 1.gif
    dow 12-10-04 1.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 210