Dow 2007

Its not and never has been, Phil. I'm not into catching drops like this mate need a bit of a bounce first. To be honest, i dont even trade the Dow.

Take care.

:LOL: you reet ald nit wit! . fantasy trading? . it's bad enough that people make bad calls . but to make bad calls without having any real interest .. that's you off my Christmas list. gees .. I can't believe people would be so dishonest .. and on the Internet too:LOL:

I don't trade around news release for the very reason of what has just happened, I like to wait for thing to settle down before I start again, as we have seen in the past, this can easily reclaw the losses or carry on down.

For me, I'm unsure how they will drive this to the close, I admit to being on the sidelines here and happy to be here, I feel safe, and won't trade until I can see the direction clearly again.

Suspect if we break 450, then down to 360 fwiw imho

it's excruciating to watch as the pips fly past .. uncaught .. but not nearly as painful as being on the wrong end of it..

I've considered before I would set a limit order to catch points on news .. but the day I do will be the day it spikes strongly both ways :rolleyes:

I suppose I should be happy I made some points on the way up to the news :|

good call DC. things back to normal then :LOL:

happy Christmas..........including you fw :D peace

well one swallow doesn't make a summer but it has been a good day for the balance with 100 on cable 341 on dow and 63 on FTSE

and so to tomorrow as always we want a better price IF you want a long 361 would be reasonably safe, for a short 532

cant see the FTSE doing much unless we open in the 430s then we may see some covering

merry christmas to all

has everyone had a lay in or been dragged out Chrimbo shopping

FTSE doing a bit more than expected, Short covering? that being the case the obvious short target would be the 396 area

good call DC. things back to normal then :LOL:

happy Christmas..........including you fw :D peace

You are more predictable then day & night kenobi. I should've known you come out of the bushes at the first big down day. I suppose price is now back at your entry? :)

Yes a good call, but all the signs were pointing in that direction: the upmove since the end of November has been on decreasingly lower volume. The last couple of days on the NQ and ES have been noticeable slow. The average daily range has been shrinking (so a daily range expansion day had to come sooner or later). That traders took advantage of the intrest rate statement day isn't anything new. These news releases always have a serious impact on the market.

The one thing that I don't understand, is why people are happy with a big down day. Look at the majority of the posts of yesterday, it's like euphoria. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm happy for everybody who made points yesterday and I feel sorry for anybody who tried to pick the bottom of this. But I go short & long almost each & every day. There's money to be made in both directions. Why some are reluctant to see the other side of a position beats me. Must be something to do with ego.

Anyway, not trying to pick a fight here. This is just an observation, not an accusation.
Good trading everybody and as for x-mas... well it's still early days :)

Last edited:
:LOL: you reet ald nit wit! . fantasy trading? . it's bad enough that people make bad calls . but to make bad calls without having any real interest .. that's you off my Christmas list. gees .. I can't believe people would be so dishonest .. and on the Internet too:LOL:

:LOL:

Yeh! There's some real wierdos on the internet!:LOL:

Good luck.

has everyone had a lay in or been dragged out Chrimbo shopping

FTSE doing a bit more than expected, Short covering? that being the case the obvious short target would be the 396 area

FTSE keeps knocking on that area .. I'm long for the second time .. can it get back above 6500 before the US opens? .. ..

since this is the dow thread: um ..I wonder will it sell off of pop up on open .. stay tuned:cheesy: I'll be flat before then

The one thing that I don't understand, is why people are happy with a big down day. Look at the majority of the posts of yesterday, it's like euphoria. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm happy for everybody who made points yesterday and I feel sorry for anybody who tried to pick the bottom of this. But I go short & long almost each & every day. There's money to be made in both directions. Why some are reluctant to see the other side of a position beats me. Must be something to do with ego.

Anyway, not trying to pick a fight here. This is just an observation, not an accusation.
Good trading everybody and as for x-mas... well it's still early days :)

Firewalker you really have hit the nail on the head here and for some profound reason I am one of these people that suffer from this syndrome.

I feel so much more sure of my self and confident at taking shorts than I do longs.

I think it has to be my system which is not tested sufficiently over time to provide me the confidence to take those longs.

I did expect a rise to 13800's and did post last week some time the 800 - but I didn't profit from it. Taking the elevator down however, was so much of an easier call.

This is like a battle within... yet I'm none the wiser... :rolleyes:

perverse price action?

data was not good there -- trade balance was worse than expected and the Import Price Index was higher than expected .. = inflation = rate cut less likely ..

and yet the Dow spikes up
I'm not complaining ... I'm still long ftse .I shoulda bailed earlier though .. greed is a terrible thing

I did expect a rise to 13800's and did post last week some time the 800 - but I didn't profit from it. Taking the elevator down however, was so much of an easier call.

This is like a battle within... yet I'm none the wiser... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you realize the issues are more within a person himself than with the market. As you said yourself... you did post 800... let's not forget that's +1000 up from August low's. Perhaps next time you hesitate to go long, try it with a very small position just to see how things pan out?

Considering the run-up premarket, I'm set for shorts today (just scaled in some at 13560 fut)
Good trading everybody.

There were a few US trade balance figures out, no? Anyway, a gap fill from the FOMC was a foregone conclusion. I think the HOD is in now though. Hopefully some people took the opportunity to sell that!

There were a few US trade balance figures out, no? Anyway, a gap fill from the FOMC was a foregone conclusion. I think the HOD is in now though. Hopefully some people took the opportunity to sell that!

Unless my calendar is wrong, those were about 40 minutes ago.
That spike happened exactly 30min after the trade balance figs.

just read it too on marketwatch...

makes you think why they didnt announce it yesterday ehhh? unless they scribbled on the back of a fag packet after the market sold off......

Ehh, good job Brian Sullivan wasn't anchoring bloomberg telly when this broke, you see him yesterday with the rate decision slot to the close.... like he was on 2 grammes of whizz or somethin....... bet he would of been jackin off on tv with this one..... yeeee haaaaaaaa.
:)

god bless America........

Last edited:
makes you think why they didnt announce it yesterday ehhh? unless they scribbled on the back of a fag packet after the market sold off......

Ehh, good job Brian Sullivan wasn't anchoring bloomberg telly when this broke, you see him yesterday with the rate decision slot to the close.... like he was on 2 grammes of whizz or somethin....... bet he would of been jackin off on tv with this one..... yeeee haaaaaaaa.
:)

god bless America........

yes makes me frown quite a bit :(
anyway short 13700 fut