Dow 2007

Has anyone tried averaging up with any success ?
Obviously averaging down is a complete no-no but what about up ?

I'm in for a long. Think I should have made it a fut rather than a daily fut.

If by averaging up you mean pyramiding, the following might be of interest:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?p=333472&highlight=pyramiding#post333472
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=13636

Personally, I find pyramiding quite difficult to do for trading intraday.
For longer term trading it's definitely a path worth looking into.

If by averaging up you mean pyramiding, the following might be of interest:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?p=333472&highlight=pyramiding#post333472
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=13636

Personally, I find pyramiding quite difficult to do for trading intraday.
For longer term trading it's definitely a path worth looking into.

Thanks for that, I agree, intra day its hard unless you get on good size move, I just use it because of the disconects to protect me really, I add when right pretty quick with sb firm and slide Stop in tighter.

I say add, but that is not correct intra day I just enter 1 position in bits, usually 2.

Firewalker, I noticed you exited 1/2 at your 1st target, did you hold through news with other half or had you gone, then re-entered ?

Thanks for that, I agree, intra day its hard unless you get on good size move, I just use it because of the disconects to protect me really, I add when right pretty quick with sb firm and slide Stop in tighter.

I say add, but that is not correct intra day I just enter 1 position in bits, usually 2.

Firewalker, I noticed you exited 1/2 at your 1st target, did you hold through news with other half or had you gone, then re-entered ?

I had moved my stop to breakeven after the first target, so it got stopped out and I had to re-enter. In hindsight I could've done without "managing" the trade and just left my original stop where it was, considering I had a target in mind which was easily met. But that's easier said than done right? If you have a certain number of points up for grabs, you feel the need to lock those profits in or at least take some of them.

But in days with important news that might move the market significantly, I feel more comfortable doing it the way I did.

I had moved my stop to breakeven after the first target, so it got stopped out and I had to re-enter. In hindsight I could've done without "managing" the trade and just left my original stop where it was, considering I had a target in mind which was easily met. But that's easier said than done right? If you have a certain number of points up for grabs, you feel the need to lock those profits in or at least take some of them.

But in days with important news that might move the market significantly, I feel more comfortable doing it the way I did.

Thanks for that insight,

Like I said last night , used up a life/ sloppy trading:eek: when I was disconnected I had not moved me stop in and was real lucky not to get Stopped for a full one :( but did the damage to grey matter, I was only concerned at gettin out by then in one piece (which I did with a little to spare) forgot me early targets and reason I was there in the 1st place so missed a good move I had anticipated.

Newbys what would the world do for entertainment. :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks for that piece of wisdom FW.Personally I feel happier locking in profits with a trailing stop. Often it gets triggered too soon but better something

Thanks for that piece of wisdom FW.Personally I feel happier locking in profits with a trailing stop. Often it gets triggered too soon but better something

That's my issue with trailing stops too... I've found them to be only useful when some very sharp moves occur and you want to get in & out nicely. But most of the time price retraces, swings low or high, pauses... and trailing stops can't help you in those circumstances.

I'm flat and open minded as to what is going to happen, mimimum 5 min chart for my tracking today, no rush, if I'm not sure, I'll stay out

Perhaps more down side yet before any retracement imho

added to my long at 14160... not usually my style but I hadn't committed full position to the first entry so..

average entry now 14175

pff . why is it the moment I cut my long the FTSE shoots up .. every blasted time

is it my imagination or is the FTSE a better market than the DOW these days? more volatility .. the DOW only moves on most important data .. this is based on a wholly unscientific study. :cheesy:

pff . why is it the moment I cut my long the FTSE shoots up .. every blasted time

is it my imagination or is the FTSE a better market than the DOW these days? more volatility .. the DOW only moves on most important data .. this is based on a wholly unscientific study. :cheesy:

volatility changes over time... been exceptionally high in August and exceptionally low in the beginning of February this year.

average true range or average daily range (and VIX obviously) are good instruments to compare movements over time