Does anyone Spreadbet for a living?

I've been told that if your margin isn't sufficient, your futures positions get zapped at market, automatically. At least with a SB company, you'll get a phone call first..

Not sure but I wouldnt want to be trading that high risk anyhow. I'm trading with stops of a few ticks.

Please dont start a SB vs whatever thread please. I have read 2 of them today, both approx 20 pages long and its not fun and everyone has the same poxy argument. I did originally only ask whether anyone actually spreadbets for a living.

Sorry.

BTW whats happening now in the ftse 20 pts in 5 minutes?

I can't see how this can turn into such a massive debate (mass debate?). Clearly there are certain forms of trading that are well suited to spreadbetting, specifically longer time-frame intra-day where the spread / carry costs are not relevant. On the other hand there are other trading styles that require DMA if they are to be profitable (or more profitable). Each to their own and as long as people have thought about whether their style is better suited to one over the other, I can't see why the two can't co-exist happily (breaks into cheesy chorus of 'Ebony and Ivory').

I did originally only ask whether anyone actually spreadbets for a living.

Yes, for a year, then I switched to DMA. But don't read anything into it beyond what I've written above...

Last edited:
Well what can I say, I think I have picked a good month to start pretend trading, certainly experieced a lot. Especially with standard up down days, insta-falls as I like to call them, plus llots of other funny tricks that it likes to play with opening of the US market, current news, UK opening, general sentiment around the market.

Anything else I can expect?

Well what can I say, I think I have picked a good month to start pretend trading, certainly experieced a lot. Especially with standard up down days, insta-falls as I like to call them, plus llots of other funny tricks that it likes to play with opening of the US market, current news, UK opening, general sentiment around the market.

Anything else I can expect?

:) Only tickled the surface

I remember a surprize interest rate hike a few years ago...a mate was short spot dow at the time...price gapped and ran up 300 points in 3 mins...wiped the account. :whistling

Yep until you've seen it all then you ain't seen nothin.

Thanks Jack,

To be fair, I am really tempted to do the same. SB does have its benefits for newbies like the limited risk and guaranteed stops account on IG which they have just reduced their spred on to 1 point. So it seems like a lot of sense to go that way and then SHOULD I be any good then move up to another platform. Otherwise I will bust out like every other plonker who thinks they know it all and you wont here a peep from me again.

But hey ho, this is all what its about, have a laugh, get drunk and do what you can in the meantime to get by. The rest is all B0LL0X!

:) Only tickled the surface

I remember a surprize interest rate hike a few years ago...a mate was short spot dow at the time...price gapped and ran up 300 points in 3 mins...wiped the account. :whistling

Yep until you've seen it all then you ain't seen nothin.

Cheers Counter violent you fill me with such optimism.(y)

But like I said prior, I have to experience these things Stories, Others losses, Myths Fables or whatever, as long as I am aware of them then I can at least have no other excuse than to blame myself.

Cheers Counter violent you fill me with such optimism.(y)

But like I said prior, I have to experience these things Stories, Others losses, Myths Fables or whatever, as long as I am aware of them then I can at least have no other excuse than to blame myself.

I'm not trying to pi55 on your fireworks honest...just telling it like it is....and yes your correct in saying that you have to experience all this personally...only way to learn.(y)

The big difference is that you are trading in the real market, not against a bookie, so there is no funny business like platforms freezing and prices and spreads being manipulated etc (people who promote spreadbetting tell you this happens in futures too, but it doesnt).

Disregarding the viability for short term traders, there is, in my opinion, one indisputable fact:

If you are ever in a position and the sh*t really hits the fan in a very big way you have more chance with spreadbetting than dma. 100%. No questions.

I'm not trying to pi55 on your fireworks honest...just telling it like it is....and yes your correct in saying that you have to experience all this personally...only way to learn.(y)

Honestly mate, its fine. I have always found advice good now matter whether its good or bad, I just use it and get on with it, your'e right you cant learn any other way.

I was thinking though last week, am I right in saying that in the current ecomonic climate, I would be better off selling as to buying because (given I would not use limits) it seems that any market can go down more sharply than it go up?

It just seems to make sense.

I was thinking though last week, am I right in saying that in the current ecomonic climate, I would be better off selling as to buying because (given I would not use limits) it seems that any market can go down more sharply than it go up?

It just seems to make sense.

Depends on the way you trade.

Remember, your risk is limited when you buy. It's unlimited when you sell.

Please dont start a SB vs whatever thread please. I have read 2 of them today, both approx 20 pages long and its not fun and everyone has the same poxy argument. I did originally only ask whether anyone actually spreadbets for a living.

Most of these threads are a vehicle for very knowledgeable master traders to feed little tid-bits of wisdom to others. Or to put it another way, it's for those who like the look of their own typing .. !

You could start a thread "Trading EURUSD vs trading USDCHF" and it would probably run to 20 pages as well.

those 2 pairs are simply amazingly correlated, even on a 5 minute chart.
:LOL:

Whooosh...tell me, what part of mean-reversion's ironic post did you not get?...Oh I get it, you were starting off the 20 page thread...subtle...;)

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Have now definitely decided that I will be pursuing SB in the short term and see how I get on.

Cheers again,

Dean

Reactions: tar