Do you trade different strategies in the same account?

Reds28

I have developed two different strategies (or systems if you like) over the last few months. I did an ample research, back tested, demo traded, other due diligence. I think I am now ready to trade properly for real. I have traded with real money before but think I am now in a position where I can have much success. My two methods seem quite holy grail (if that is possible) when I backtested. It doesn't mean I don't get losers but there are far more winners and positive pips month on month is almost certainty. One strategy is price action, combined with support resistance while the second relies more on a combination of indicators. As far as back testing goes, both have a very high success rate and, if good money management is in place, the returns should be excellent.

What I am asking is whether if you guys trade different systems (or strategies) from the same account or have separate accounts for each system you trade.

I must say a big thank you to Dylan for posting his stuff yesterday. I incorporated one of his ideas into my indicator system and it seems to have made my own system even better. So a big thanks for that.

Just to add, I do realise trading with real money at stake is a different ball game because of the psychology and when you backtest you can often start seeing things the way you want to see because of the preconceived elements of what you are looking for, but with said, I do think if I hold my nerve while in trade and stick to strict money management and show discipline there is no reason why my account shouldn't be making really good progress.

Last edited:
Trade multiple strategies from same account but run a spreadsheet so I understand at a later date which one counted for which trade. It helps evaluate each one against the others as a forward-test (which is the only real test) though sometimes find a nice strategy can't be used because I don't have the margin left on that day.

I think will better if we separated account if want using different strategy, so we also can making comparison what strategy that giving better result and bad result, for my selves is only use one strategy on one account, and it will giving easiness if someday later want to review history trading

Thanks for your ideas. I think I would prefer to trade from the same account because I hate the hassle of using two different brokers. But trading two different strategies with the same broker means you need to keep a very strict record in a separate Excel file, or something similar, so after a couple or few months you can clearly identify which method is getting the best results, and whether one or the other should be ditched.

I also got a third and final strategy which I will definitely trade in a separate account. This particular strategy involves trading the hourly chart and incorporates no stop loss. Trading and closing trades purely on signals, or if a move is heavily in my favour (say 200 pips) I might then close it ahead of a closing signal. I will always have a 'soft' stop loss 100 pips away in case there is a mini flash crash. But I expect to close out a trade before it reaches the stop if the trade goes wrong.

I don't think there's a problem with trading two different strategies in the same account, as long as you can keep track of what you're doing and as long as both are successful. Generally I am a fan of simple strategies, regardless of how many I have.

Some brokers offer the ability to create sub-accounts, which can be useful for trading different strategies. If you keep good records, though, trading out of a single account is perfectly reasonable.

I have developed two different strategies (or systems if you like) over the last few months. I did an ample research, back tested, demo traded, other due diligence. I think I am now ready to trade properly for real. I have traded with real money before but think I am now in a position where I can have much success. My two methods seem quite holy grail (if that is possible) when I backtested. It doesn't mean I don't get losers but there are far more winners and positive pips month on month is almost certainty. One strategy is price action, combined with support resistance while the second relies more on a combination of indicators. As far as back testing goes, both have a very high success rate and, if good money management is in place, the returns should be excellent.

What I am asking is whether if you guys trade different systems (or strategies) from the same account or have separate accounts for each system you trade.

I must say a big thank you to Dylan for posting his stuff yesterday. I incorporated one of his ideas into my indicator system and it seems to have made my own system even better. So a big thanks for that.

Just to add, I do realise trading with real money at stake is a different ball game because of the psychology and when you backtest you can often start seeing things the way you want to see because of the preconceived elements of what you are looking for, but with said, I do think if I hold my nerve while in trade and stick to strict money management and show discipline there is no reason why my account shouldn't be making really good progress.

like a famous author once wrote

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

trading is a bit like that for me ........I will operate an overriding strategy (ie my highest probability one).....but be alert to using 2-3 others if the conditions apply

like a General deploying his troops .....you have to decide what tactic will work most effectively in the situation at the time

N

like a famous author once wrote

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

trading is a bit like that for me ........I will operate an overriding strategy (ie my highest probability one).....but be alert to using 2-3 others if the conditions apply

like a General deploying his troops .....you have to decide what tactic will work most effectively in the situation at the time

N

The only thing I keep in mind when I trade - a system can be defeated only by system. To stay afloat the only requirement is not to trade without system..

No, it's either buy, sell, wait. I don't use indicators and in fact I only refer to a chart after I have decided to do business.

I like to change my strategies from time to time, as it is the only way to become successful in Forex Trading, as each time market situation is different and each time we need different strategy to work it out.

It's simpler if you do just one strategy on each account (if you have more than one), at least tat's my opinion and how I always acted

I like to change my strategies from time to time, as it is the only way to become successful in Forex Trading, as each time market situation is different and each time we need different strategy to work it out.

How is the market different, how do you recognise that your current strategy won't work this time?

It's simpler if you do just one strategy on each account (if you have more than one), at least tat's my opinion and how I always acted

Yes, it is easier to concentrate your attention on the best trades using just a single strategy. This must respect its own time-frame obviously, either short-term or long-term.

Whichever you currently use, wouldn't the ideal situation be to benefit from market movements in both time-frames?

Yes, I could not put clearer myself. Remember being aware is step a forward but it will not be enough. You also need to walk the talk.

As you said you need to build that stamina to stick with it, doing so if you take daily notes you can rectify your wrong behaviors (they will be) in optimal one. "Great traders are not born, they make themselves" (cannot remember where I read this one).

Noways I only trade one style, I monitor between 10 and 24 pairs and during the day they present me enough opportunities.

Yes, I could not put clearer myself. Remember being aware is step a forward but it will not be enough. You also need to walk the talk.

As you said you need to build that stamina to stick with it, doing so if you take daily notes you can rectify your wrong behaviors (they will be) in optimal one. "Great traders are not born, they make themselves" (cannot remember where I read this one).

Noways I only trade one style, I monitor between 10 and 24 pairs and during the day they present me enough opportunities.

Intraday trading with (1) monitor for 24 pairs??? Ya, like I will believe that how is that arthritis in your click finger :LOL:

Intraday trading with (1) monitor for 24 pairs??? Ya, like I will believe that how is that arthritis in your click finger :LOL:

Not really. I will explain.

I am very methodical in my work.

In the morning I scan the all 24 pairs (takes not more than 45m), this will give me a list to trade for the day, they will shrink down to about 10.

Here I mostly look for pullbacks, my time frame for entries is the 60m. If there is not PB I rarely enter with breakouts, they can be expensive.

During the Asian session (where I am based) I will review my list every 2-3 hours, if a trade has triggered I will take it even if I am a bit late. From the European open I monitor my list every 60 minutes. In the mean time I read, cook spend time with the family and so on..

Once I enter 3 trades I am done for the day, normally one will happen during Asian session and the other two during the following session. I am looking for swings, I can be in a trade between one day to a week, here I just adjust my SL's. I will not have more than 3 trade at risk, when one reaches a BE level I might enter another one.

I am not around during NA session, but if in the my morning a setup has triggered during I will enter on the 240m time frame.

I hope this post helps a bit.

Last edited:
Not really. I will explain.

I am very methodical in my work.

In the morning I scan the all 24 pairs (takes not more than 45m), this will give me a list to trade for the day, they will shrink down to about 10.

Here I mostly look for pullbacks, my time frame for entries is the 60m. If there is not PB I rarely enter with breakouts, they can be expensive.

During the Asian session (where I am based) I will review my list every 2-3 hours, if a trade has triggered I will take it even if I am a bit late. From the European open I monitor my list every 60 minutes. In the mean time I read, cook spend time with the family and so on..

Once I enter 3 trades I am done for the day, normally one will happen during Asian session and the other two during the following session. I am looking for swings, I can be in a trade between one day to a week, here I just adjust my SL's. I will not have more than 3 trade at risk, when one reaches a BE level I might enter another one.

I am not around during NA session, but if in the my morning a setup has triggered during I will enter on the 240m time frame.

I hope this post helps a bit.

That's great steps to start for a newbie. Can you also provide some insight on what you use besides pullbacks?

I have traded different strategies on the same MT4 account and then make sure the strategies have a different magic number. I then use MyFXBook to analyse the results seperately.