Deal4Free versus Direct Access

JonnyT said:
The point I'm making is does it mean Deal4Free could stop you out without the underlying going anywhere near?

The difference in this case is relatively enormous and cannot possibly be due to spread. More like lining their own pockets.

JonnyT

Hiya JT

I don't think they could. Somewhere in their documentation it says that in order for a stop or limit order to be taken it has to have actually been trading at that price by someone in the world.

HTH

Hmm, I'm not convinced on that one FB, or at least I'm not convinced they are sticking to their own documentation. No doubt others will disagree, but from personal experience I honestly believe they regularly move their price to take out stops. Using mental stops was the only way I found I could ever get a profitable trade with those guys.

H.

Hi,

yesterday i was monitoring the mid price for MCD in d4f and the one from quote.com , the mid price seemed to be correct in d4f however sometimes moved from being in the middle to 2/3 or 3/2 not 2.5/2.5

right now i have a sell for MCD @ 2312 and i would like to stop it @ 2319 so what i'll do is i'll put my stop at 2322.

hope this helps.

Have a good weekend
Genti

I used to trade SNPS (Naz 250 I think) through d4f MM5 and though I don't have Level 2 I did have the MyTrack order book running alongside the usual Sierra charts to get a rough idea of levels and depth.

What seemed to happen is the d4f quote will always take genuine prices from the order book, but not necessarily the best prices, i.e the ones at the top!

Mental stops were the only way to avoid being stopped out as the spread would vary from true market spread to 50 points or more, depending on how far down the order book d4f decided to pitch their quote. I think Henry is right that this happens more in thin conditions when d4f may feel nervous a sudden move is on the cards and it might go against them.

As long as I didn't let it freak me out when, say, I was long and the d4f bid suddenly fell several levels down the order book for no good reason (without any real trades happening at this level of course) I found that the artificial volatility did not affect me much as i could see from the order book and Sierra that this was not happening in the 'real world'.

I now no longer trade SNPS as after a week or two of near perfect daytrades I was arrogant enough to think I had it's measure - so of course one day it refused to be obedient, turned round and brutally savaged me with a terrifying flurry of teeth and claws.

Well actually like a prize twit I averaged down. Aaaaargh. Never again!

Have to agree with FTSEBeater (cant comment on shares as dont look at them or us as not been looking at us for long).

However with the index's ive traded (dax, FTSE, Ibex, gold, £/$, e/$) on D4F i never been executed unless the underlying price has traded that price. also quite a few times the price has traded and not been executed but then bounced back in my favor. It has done me a favor several times.

Only just started looking at US in last few months i would say this is definitely not the case with the dow and is the subject of a lot of threads entitled SB bias. Although the bias is present in most aspects of trading with an SB company i think is is most severe in the US.

stevern12
Was not intending to, but re-reading my post it looks that way, sorry folks... please do not discuss SB bias here. It has been thrashed out many times in many other places.

The main point was that with EU index's ive never suffered from slippage or executions without being traded on the underlying.