Deal4Free Spike

joffliver

Did anyone else get the FTSE100 Cash price spike on their systems which peaked at about 5.30PM Tuesday?

On my system, it gained about 420 points in 5 minutes.

I am just curious to know whether or not anyone had an open trade on at the time (in either direction) and if they benefited/lost out because of it.

Very strange.

I have attached a screen print of this.

Attachments

• d4f.jpg
    d4f.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 655
I have noticed numerous such cock-ups at d4f, but never been able to trade them. I have even had margin calls as a result. Having lost many thousands thanks to d4f's system problems, I have stopped using them.

I was short at the time - but had removed my stop loss - as I don't trust them around that time. lol - beat them hahaha

Hi barmy

You obviously had sufficient funds to cover the position, but I wonder if you had not removed the stop whether or not you would have been stopped out.

Also, what if your funds were insufficient. It could have wiped you out completely.

I'll see what Deal4Free have to say.

Regards

joffliver

Apparently it was a 'technical error' and they said that this wouldn't affect open positions.

So there we are.

I was short at the time with a stop in place but the stop wasn't triggered.

pogle

I was long ftse and short Dow when it happened I tried to see if I could close the ftse side of the bet at the price quoted for a £1400 profit but alas it wouldn;t let me !!!

I tried to enter a short position at 4790 but I could not.
I noticed this happenning more than once, they indeed need a more reliable system!

So, in summary, nothing happened. Except a load of people whinged about D4F. As usual. Yawn.

I was once stopped out by D4F by a spike. I thought "sod it" and moved on. However, I was pleasantly surprised the next day when I got an apologetic phone call saying my stop had been executed in error and they were restablishing my position, and giving me back a load of cash as a result. I don't SB these days for other reasons, I trade indices and SB spreads will never match futures and I'd rather trade the underlying than some synthetic concoction of an SB company. However, I can't really complain about the service I used to get from D4F when I did.

mmillar

Your post is an insult to all the members who have been cheated by D4F.

Your own logic must be a case of crooked thinking - you used the words ' whinged - as usual '. Well why do you think this is so if D4F are acting fairly?

I suggest that great big yawn would get wiped off your face if you lost hundreds or thousands of pounds because they tucked you up.

You'd be bleating just as much as the members you seem to have so much disdain for.

If you're so sure that D4F are cheating you , then you'd better dump them :cheesy:

Last edited:
For people who are perhaps just getting into trading or maybe want to get into it but haven't the financial resources to go 'pro', then the likes of D4F offer an affordable option.

However, just because they are affordable shouldn't mean that users have to live with sloppy systems etc (not that I am saying they have, of course).

It's like saying 'my car is knackered' and someone telling you to ditch it and get a new one. It's not always possible. D4F just seem to be the best of the 'affordable options' and so people will want a good service from them and rightly so. After all, they are messing with clients cash.

To use the analogy with a 'Used Car'...

The problem is not that the car is 'knackered', it is that the drivers haven't learnt to drive yet. It seems that people speed down the road, bouncing off parked cars, knocking cyclists off their bikes and hitting little old grannies on pedestrian crossings, and then complain that they’ve been sold a terrible car with scratches and bumps all over it.

If you don't like D4F there are plenty of others out there (unfortunately the analogy doesn’t hold at this point – it costs nothing to change brokers). If you think they are fixing the prices, then arbitrage them. Instead of whinging and whining every time you lose £5.50 put some of that effort into learning how to be a better trader.

milar
I think you have missed the point. I don't think anyone is whinging or whining, except for yourself.

You have taken the analogy of the car and totally distorted it in order for you to 'get one up'. Why?

In any case, if people want to whinge and whine about whatever they want, then let them do it. Just don't read their threads. Why should you waste your time replying to such a bunch of whiners?

Do you know of any other SB company offering the same spreads and software for charting etc? You could be more constructive in your arguments by offering such information.

Joffliver,

I'm not exactly sure what your beef is? You observed a spike on D4F. You weren't in a position at the time. You've been told by D4F that it wouldn't have affected you if it had. It was a minor technical issue that's been sorted. End of story, no?

It Pays to know exactly what u r trading, & if spreadbetting what the prices r generated on then u know where u stand.

this did happen to me once while using D4F to spreadbet the DAX. it spiked so fast it filled all my orders before I could blink, I ended up +36 points so wasn't bothered , but then D4F claimed it was their error & cancelled all the trades, I took me a while but I convinced the head dealer that I did have a true feed & the market DID trade there....so they reinstated the trades.

I think if u r trading 'cash' indices u will have to accept what ever they do.

at the end of the day u get what u pay for & with D4F u r spreadbetting, that doesn't mean u have to put up with a poor service & u should complain if u think someting wrong.....but there isn't much competition out there!

Jay

Last edited:
Gentlemen - please be more considerate with each other.

We're all here to trade and everyone has their own opinion. You might not agree with it, but you should respect that.