Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America?

As far as I can see every person you speak to who is saying deflation you decide is seriously knowledgeable on the subject, and every person you speak to who says inflation you decide must have a loose understanding of economics.

well tbh no one outside t2w i talk to has said inflation, also i appear to be the only one here actually backing up my opinion with some good theory and data. As for the title its self, the answer is no..Wiemar hyperinflation couldn't happen again due to reasons i already posted...but seeing i dont know anything..i guess it will!

tell me wallstreethero, if your so convinced hyperinflation is coming, what is your strategy in order to come out on top? i know what im doing if deflation happens..

ok..so i guess irving fisher needs a lesson to, or are you just going to ignore that bit completely, to go with your well rounded argument?

why would i want to ignore it einstein.
irving fisher is a blind keynesian thats it, just like all the other keynesians that belive you need to drown yourself under debt to live a good life, your right he definatly needs a lesson.

tell me wallstreethero, if your so convinced hyperinflation is coming, what is your strategy in order to come out on top? i know what im doing if deflation happens..

commodities my son, commodities, they will fly in the next few years.

well tbh no one outside t2w i talk to has said inflation, also i appear to be the only one here actually backing up my opinion with some good theory and data. As for the title its self, the answer is no..Wiemar hyperinflation couldn't happen again due to reasons i already posted...but seeing i dont know anything..i guess it will!

you probably talk to all those fools blinded by the media, i see them everyday and they belive every word they hear on cnbc, bloomberg, cnn and fox, you are from the same group of people who would laught at us if we said we going in a financia crisis 4 years back.
as for your so called good theory and data then i can only laught at that.

i am not talking about wiemar hyperinflation but hyperinflation in general
its just funny how you were the people who kept saying we are not going in a recession but were proved wrong with your 'good thoerys' now you are going against the next fact and thats hyperinflation,

are you serious? everyone in the media is claiming hyperinflation? so how am i "one of those"..and since when did i say there wasn't going to be a recession?

ok laugh at it if you want, but your not even explaining why you think there will be hyperinflation and how it will happen.

anyway this argument apears ot be in total deadlock, i guess we can revisit it in a few years and see who was right :)

are you serious? everyone in the media is claiming hyperinflation? so how am i "one of those"..and since when did i say there wasn't going to be a recession?

ok laugh at it if you want, but your not even explaining why you think there will be hyperinflation and how it will happen.

what media have you been watching Alex Jones tv. i am talking about media in general. i.e. CNN, Fox, CNBC, Bloomberg etc. who are the jokers talking about deflation and laught at the ones talking about depression, have you even seen the peter schiff video on youtube posted on this forum under genius heading, if not i guess you should watch it and open your eyes on your beloved media.

i have allready explained it before why hyperinflation would happen, but i guess your going to ignore it as it doesnt suit your opinion.

you are clearly following the guys who didnt expect a recession and thats why i said you didnt expecvt one, cause i bet you didnt,even though you will deny it now. But those so called great economists who are now talking about deflation and the same fools that were laughting at us when we were saying theres a financial crisis coming,

it is better to revist this thread in a year or 2. but i would like to know your pridiction of what will happen by 2012.
i belive there will be a depression.

your just talking **** now and making sweeping general statements, i don't even watch cnbc and the like, let alone pay any attention to them. i have already quoted one person i follow closely and agree with, he is certainly not a main stream media person.

I dont pretend to know much if anything about economics but it would be nice to know what to look out for. Some people are saying hyperinfaltion some people are saying deflation.

I'm curious as to what the warning signs are for each option. As far as I understand it in hyperinflation you would get increases in commodity prices(shoot me down if im wrong). So for example if I saw gold shoot past $1000 I'd assume hyperinflation is happening and I must act to protect myself.
I'm not really sure what you'd do in deflation. Any ideas genics??
Any ideas from anyone really.

P.S a nice heated argument is always interesting but wouldnt it be better to just know the available options and know the warnings signs for each option so you can act accordingly? Cant help thinking if your views are wrong you wont be able accept your wrong and so you wont act to protect your wealth.

your just talking **** now and making sweeping general statements, i don't even watch cnbc and the like, let alone pay any attention to them. i have already quoted one person i follow closely and agree with, he is certainly not a main stream media person.

i am talking **** :LOL: whats that what you been saying since the start of this thread.

you are just contridicting your statments now, first you say media talks about hyperinflation when there not and now you dnt watch them,

who ever that person you follow is, must be a fool and i advise you to stay away from him, you might not watch the media but im sure hes glued on to cnn, fox and the like.

well again like i said no point in discussing this as we might is well wait a year or two and i am still waiting for your pridcition by 2012, which you keep ignoring,

Martin Weiss: A Depression Is Unavoidable

Written by HardAssetsInvestor.com Wednesday, 29 April 2009 14:00 Page 1 of 2Mike Norman, anchor, HardAssetsInvestor.com (Norman): Hello everybody, and welcome to HardAssetsInvestor.com’s interview series. I’m Mike Norman, your host. Well, are we headed for a depression, and if so, what can you do about it? My guest today is here to tell us. He is Martin Weiss, author of the “The Ultimate Depression Survival Guide,” and economist. Martin, thanks for joining me on the show.

Martin Weiss, author, “The Ultimate Depression Survival Guide,” (Weiss): Thank you for having me.

Norman: Well, the book just came out recently and it shot up to the No. 1 position on the Wall Street Journal Book Review and also on Amazon.

Weiss: It’s No. 1 on Amazon and it's on the Wall Street Journal best-seller list. It’s not No. 1 on the Wall Street Journal yet, but it should be soon.

Norman: Hopefully after this program, it will be. So the book is titled “The Ultimate Depression Survival Guide.” We discussed it a little bit. You’re obviously worried about things that might happen … the situation’s looking pretty scary for lots of people right now. What you’re saying ... look, if we go into a bad period, there are things you can do, there are things to protect yourself. That’s what you talk about in the book. Let’s get a little bit of an overview.

Weiss: Well, first of all, whenever you see a government-inspired intervention, a government-inspired rally in the stock market or a recovery in the economy, to me that’s an opportunity to get out.

Norman: Really?

Weiss: That’s an opportunity to do what you wish you had done in 2008 before the stock market tanked. It’s what you wished you had done with your real estate properties before the real estate market collapsed.

Norman: But what if you had done that, though? Let’s look back in history. It seems from that statement that you just made, you are averse or you view government intervention as a backstop, as a countervailing force in an economic downturn – you see that as bad. But what if you would have gone against that in the 1940s? You would have lost a lot of money.

Weiss: Oh of course. It depends on time. I’m saying in this era, in the beginning of the 21st century, we are in a decline, fundamental decline that’s going to continue, but it’s not a straight-down move, just like any market. Therefore, when you have a countermove, that’s your opportunity to sell; that’s your opportunity to reduce your risk and build cash. Now we have, because the government has done so much, and I know you’re in favor of that ...

Norman: I am.

Weiss: ... but precisely because the government is doing so much, you may have a bit of an uptick, but I don’t see it as a change in trend. I think that a depression, a deep depression is essentially inevitable and unavoidable. Let me explain what I mean by a depression. A depression is a multiyear decline in the economy, bring massive unemployment and delivering widespread financial losses to the majority of the population.

Norman: All right, but by that definition, we’re already in it.

Weiss: Exactly my point. You guessed what I was about to say, and it’s that we’re already in it, but there’s no sign that’s it over yet. There’s a lot of hope that it would end prematurely, but I don’t think it will, and I’ll explain why.

Norman: Now, things are bad; I’m going to let you explain why. But just from the standpoint of observation, things are bad; there’s no question. Twelve million people have lost their jobs in the last year, the stock market has experienced one of the worst declines in history, not just here but around the world. We have a massive credit crunch and problems in the banking system. Yet when you walk around here in New York and other places around the United States, you don’t see soup lines, you don’t see the sort of visuals that we at least read about from the Great Depression.

Weiss: We’re not there yet.

Norman: Things are bad relative to where they were. But are you saying they’re going to get that dire?

Weiss: It’s going to get much worse, but it’s not the end of the world. There’s one thing I agree with on about what you said. You walk around, buildings aren’t destroyed, the lights are still on, the Internet is still up, and we still have the fundamental strength of our country’s infrastructure. So we’re talking about a financial economic crisis, not the destruction of our society or our country. Based on that fact, there’s still hope; this is not the end of the world.

A depression, even a severe depression like we had in the 1930s, was not the end of the world. So that then is an opportunity for you as an individual to protect your assets now, build up a nice nest egg of cash, put it in a truly safe place, and then wait for the opportunity to buy what I call the big bottom. This is not it yet.

Norman: OK. So that answers the question I was about to pose to you. It’s not too late for those who have been watching this horrific decline and the problems in the economy, and saying, it’s too late, I’ve missed my opportunity to protect what I have. You’re saying it’s not too late?

Weiss: The cup is still half full, and if you only have half of your portfolio left, it’s still half full. And one more point: If I’m right that real estate prices and stock prices and other prices are going to continue going down, that means that your half-full portfolio will be worth a lot more in the future, provided you can preserve what you have today.

Norman: We’re going to talk about some of the strategies, but I want to touch on one point, because it seems to me that you feel what will instigate this or cause it to become very severe - you mentioned it before, you alluded to it - is the government. In what way though? Are you talking about an inflation?

Weiss: Higher interest rates - not inflation, but higher real interest rates. Let me explain why. The government’s deficit this year is going to exceed $2 trillion even with the best of economic assumptions. If I’m right about the scenario, you’re going to see that deficit perpetuate itself and get larger. There’s only one conclusion: Interest rates must go up.

Norman: But Martin, that flies in the face of facts. I mean look, in 2000 we had a surplus of 250 billion, we’re about to have a deficit of 1.8 trillion and interest rates went from 6.5% to zero; they didn’t go up. So why are they going to go up this time?

Weiss: The deficit is coming now, that’s what driving the interest rates, and interest rates are driven by a combination of factors. One is sinking demand for Treasury securities, the other one is rising supply of Treasury securities, and a third one is a revival of inflation. You put it all into the soup, and short term, the Fed can keep short-term interest rates down, but it can’t control long-term interest rates.

Norman: I say interest rates are a parameter set by the central bank, period. Anyway, stick around, we’re going to have the second half of my interview with author Martin Weiss, and we’re going to talk about some strategies about how to protect your assets and come out of this looking good. So folks, come back to this site, HardAssetsInvestor.com. We’ll have the second half of the interview with Martin Weiss. Take care for now; this is Mike Norman.
Be sure to check back for Part II of our interview with Martin Weiss

The Financial Barbarians at the Gate

Guns & Butter Interviews financial economist and historian, Dr. Michael Hudson.

"The Financial Barbarians at the Gate" with financial economist and historian, Dr. Michael Hudson. Europe; worsening financial situation and

indebtedness; the history of banking and the criminalization of the banking system; tax policy; real estate asset inflation; US imperialism via the

monetary system; neoliberal/neofeudal economics; classical political economy; finance capital breaking away from industrial capital; the

financial crisis leading to a political crisis; similarities with the Roman Republic; what measures labor should take.

Please Click here to Download the Audio File. Listen to it on your PC/Mp3/iPod etc

Trust me u would love it! :)