Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America?

I know this is beating a dead horse by now, but Naked Capitalism is reporting that the Bundesbank - yes, the Bundesbank - agrees with Steve Keen's analysis: banks make loans first, find the reserves later, and are therefore responsible for money creation. The Bundesbank, being an interested party, does try to make like they're important rather than merely impotent, but it's a transparent fig-leaf.
The reports about sub-normal American inflation, btw, are all over the place now, so no need to cite any of that. The Fed may raise the discount rate soon, but that would be so that it once again acts as a punitive rate and forces the banks to go back to interbank lending, where the Fed Funds rate prevails (and which is still hovering just north of zip), rather than going to the Fed for their overnight liquidity.

I know this is beating a dead horse by now, but Naked Capitalism is reporting that the Bundesbank - yes, the Bundesbank - agrees with Steve Keen's analysis: banks make loans first, find the reserves later, and are therefore responsible for money creation. The Bundesbank, being an interested party, does try to make like they're important rather than merely impotent, but it's a transparent fig-leaf.
The reports about sub-normal American inflation, btw, are all over the place now, so no need to cite any of that. The Fed may raise the discount rate soon, but that would be so that it once again acts as a punitive rate and forces the banks to go back to interbank lending, where the Fed Funds rate prevails (and which is still hovering just north of zip), rather than going to the Fed for their overnight liquidity.

I must confess I'm still not clear on the Fed but I do believe it should be accountable to the Senate on Principal.

http://www.cityam.com/news-and-analysis/bernanke-do-not-rein-fed

I read somewhere that the Fed is not a public institution as many think but a privately owned. If so who owns it ?
Anyone know ?

hows the dollar collapse looking these days? good?

history.gif

hyperinflation is gona happened again very soon as we see unprecedented amount of money creation happening all over.

hyperinflation is gona happened again very soon as we see unprecedented amount of money creation happening all over.

You may be correct, ProfitsandLoss ... the rise in the price of gold may be the initial sign, as investors dump both Euros and Dollars in favour of the "useless yellow metal."

In my last foray into this thread, I was beaten off by the ridicule of those who know more than I do, for stating that the true sign of the beginning of hyperinflation, would be rising Bond Market Yields.

Anyone care to have a look at that lately?

My argument I base on what I see.

Their argument seems to be based on "hope it doesn't happen" ... or "faith in the system" because "smart men are in control who won't let it happen."

I have some "hope" too - I hope they are correct.

Now, compare the changes in the Greek Bond Yields, before their "rescue" with what is happening in UK and USA and EURO Bonds now, and I think my case will be seen to have legs.

There are a few ways that hyperinflation can be avoided.

One is to remove the risk of the created (Quantitative Easing) dollars and pounds getting into the system.

That may happen once the "crisis" of Sovereign debt collapse passes. We are not there yet, as the rising sovereign debt crisis seems to be only beginning. The money created through Quantitative Easing has yet to be released into the credit market.

Currently banks are not loaning much money, because they do not trust each other. Banks are not revealing the true extent of the toxic nature of the debt they hold on their books. The evidence of that is the continuing number of collapses of banks in the USA UK, and globally in 2010 (Spain, Ireland, Italy - you have heard all of this stuff already). Remember the panic and the run on the Northern Rock bank?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6996136.stm

But once central banks believe the crisis is over, they may begin to relax, and politicians may begin pressuring them to get the money out to their customers to stimulate GDP. This may unleash a flood of cheap money into the economies of the world, which may then fuel the kind of inflation that we truly fear.

That kind of inflation can be likened to a snowball rolling down a slope - it gets bigger and bigger as it rolls, until it ends as a shattered squish-ball of debris. The end of this crisis may well be triggered by a repeat of the situation which created it to begin with - easy and cheap credit.

Another way to end the crisis, is for banks and governments to begin to forgive debt, but that wouldn't be too popular with the likes of JP Morgan Chase and Goldman Sachs I shouldn't imagine.

There are other ways, and they will eventually become clear, but would be misunderstood should I mention them on this forum.

Hyperinflation may not be inevitable, provided those who control the world's economies can begin to douse the flames without extinguishing the sparks necessary to keep GDP healthy.

But do you trust the politicians and economists to do that?

Just watch the bond markets.
Get yourself out of debt.
Refuse to borrow when the "eye of the storm" appears.
Do not believe it when people begin to say "all is well."

You will know when "all is well" and it will not be any time in my generation.

Attachments

• Northern Rock.jpg
    Northern Rock.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 224
ah bless, another miss guided fool for the slaughter house

It is not nice to refer to other participants and contributors as "fools".

We are exploring an idea here - can't you simply accept that there may another scenario possible, without resorting to name-calling to add weight to your intellect?

You may well be correct - all of us in this thread may be fools.

I'll be generous and expect that your statement "another misguided fool for the slaughterhouse" was meant to include yourself as well - but there is no need to put yourself down, Nigel.

No one can know everything can they?

Where do you see yourself, Nigel?

PS - just having some fun - not personal!

Attachments

• modern manager.JPG
    modern manager.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 322
It is not nice to refer to other participants and contributors as "fools".

We are exploring an idea here - can't you simply accept that there may another scenario possible, without resorting to name-calling to add weight to your intellect?

You may well be correct - all of us in this thread may be fools.

I'll be generous and expect that your statement "another misguided fool for the slaughterhouse" was meant to include yourself as well - but there is no need to put yourself down, Nigel.

No one can know everything can they?

Where do you see yourself, Nigel?

PS - just having some fun - not personal!

when you have weak arguements and you know you are wrong you would expect name calling to happen :D

interestingly its always the miss guided fools who are always right and so called geniuses like you who have been proven wrong again and again.

yeh ok, when exactly have i been proved wrong again and again?

and care to give an example when the miss guided fools have been right?

how much money you made trading this year Atilla?

Oh thats right you dont trade for a living :)

"for stating that the true sign of the beginning of hyperinflation, would be rising Bond Market Yields. "

dunno where your looking at but treasuries yields are falling.. 30yr bonds and 10year notes lowest yield in over a year.

The central banks are doing everything in there power to fight deflation and they are failing, big time. Yet all you retail crowd talk about nothing but hyper inflation, the mind boggles..

The fact that the average retail trader thinks there is going to be hyperinfaltion, almost proves there wont be. As the retail trader are wrong a good 99% of the time and thats what you lot are, retail traders.

how much money you made trading this year Atilla?

Oh thats right you dont trade for a living :)

In all honesty I am in the eye of the storm at present.

Supporting the platform in which all those trillions of billions of bonds will be traded on.

I have never ever so felt so exhillarated and excited about the future as I do now.

Money in all sincerity is of no consequence to me right now. Admitedly I haven't been trading as much because I don't make consistent returns and that is pissing me off. I haven't given up. I'm consolidating right now. Very busy with work and property, but finances have never been as good.

At least I know where I have come from and where I am going and well content and happy with my lot.

I hope you are too with yours.

However, your responses are always the same. You ask for an example - you get one and then it's back to your insecurities again. Your like an old rag doll with a string on your back - pull the cord and the same ol dribble flushes out...

Here I'll give a little back to make you feel good. I was in the short term wrong about the dollar the pound and the euro. There there now... You could have pointed this out but you failed to do so.

However, regarding inflation I'm on the ball at least in the UK for now and US will be in tow sooner or later. Wait till they have to finance their twin defecits what happens to bond sales and the value of the dollar when inflation rises and interest rates don't follow suit.

Problem with you is you can't think it through. You lack the faculties... ;)

you do realise bond yields are gona be pushed to near 0 soon yeh?

And i can think it though, perhaps better than you? Hence i dont follow the main stream internet forum, youtube theory of hyperinflation.

This isnt a dig, i am genuinely interested as to why you think you are correct, even though by your own admittance you arnt constantly profitable? Bit of a paradox going on there.